*** Official THE KIDS ARE ALL RIGHT Review Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Patrick Sun, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I thought this film was "all right", not amazingly great, but a nice look into what happens when the 2 kids, Joni (Mia Wasikowska) and Laser (Josh Hutcherson) from a lesbian couple, Nic (Annette Benning) and Jules (Julianne Moore) decide to look for their biological father, whose sperm was used to father a baby for Nic and Jules each. The biological father is Paul (Mark Ruffalo), and slowly after the kids meet Paul, the mothers meet with Paul, and things get complicated.

Performance-wise, a solid cast, though I'm not quite as high on the script as the positive word-of-mouth would indicate, but still a good film.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "The Kids are All Right". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    The other day, I decided to take a field trip to Detroit in order to see a couple of films I don't think will play in my city. This was one of them and I liked it a little more than Patrick. My rating is more in the A- category due to the good performances and a script I really liked.

Crawdaddy

4. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    I saw this today and liked it. Very original.

At the end, when Joni moves into her dorm, I leaned over to my friend and said "That's the dorm I lived in my junior year. Barack Obama lived there that year too."

Rob

5. Hans M.

Hans M. Stunt Coordinator

I wrote up a little news piece/review here:

http://indieethos.wordpress.com/2010/08/01/indie-film-%E2%80%98kids-are-all-right%E2%80%99-keeps-expanding-in-theaters-deservedly-so/