What's new

***Official The Incredibles DVD Glitch Thread*** (1 Viewer)

David Taylor

Agent
I just brought home The Incredibles for my kids. We popped it into my Sony 5 disc changer (DVP-NC655P). There were problems with it pixelating and jumping around. I stopped it, incpected the disc (pristine!) and tried again. Same thing. I let it go for a few minutes and eventually it stopped playing entirely! I put it in my old Toshiba dvd player in the other room and it played fine. I went back and tried some other discs in my Sony and they worked fine. This is REALLY weird because this Sony has played EVERYTHING. I've had great luck with it until this disc. Has anyone else out there experienced anything like this with their Incredibles DVD?

Thanks!
David

David Taylor

Agent
Well, near the end of playing it on my old Toshiba DVD player I am getting some slight pixelation, but not nearly as bad as on my Sony. I'm beginning to wonder if I got a defective disc (purchased today at Best Buy in Waco, TX).

Has anyone else heard of any defective Incredibles DVDs?

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
I have the same player, Dave, and I just picked up the disk from Target last night. If I have similar experiences I will post here. Thanks for the heads up. Let's see if anyone else reports problems on this and other Sony equipment.

Joel

Albert Oh

Stunt Coordinator
I just watched the dvd tonight and it played fine until the end credits. There were no problems during the movie, but during the end credits, the dvd would freeze for like 5 seconds and then start playing again. It did this a few times. No pixellation when it froze. Instead, it looked like I had paused it. Very strange, but if I fast forwarded a little, the rest of the credits seemed to play fine. My player is a Yamakawa and I haven't tried it on my other player yet.

David Taylor

Agent
Interesting. It sounds like there *may* have been some bad pressings out there. However, if I take it back to the same Best Buy I'm afraid I'll just get another bad one!

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
I haven't watched the whole movie yet, but so far (keeping fingers crossed) I am not having any problems. I bought my copy at Best Buy, and playing it on my "Sherman Tank" Sony DVP-S7000 (1st generation player).

Quick question, where specifically is "almost the end of the movie"? 5 minutes from end, 10 minutes, several chapters...more information please and I will be sure to check and report.

David Taylor

Agent
I'm not sure, because I watched the 2nd half of the movie in my Toshiba which only had minor pixelation here and there. It seems like chapters 9 and 10 were especially bad on my Sony. One of the guys above had lockups during the credits at the end of the movie.

I've emailed Disney and they are willing to send me a pre-paid shipping label and will test my DVD and send me a new one if defective. Has anyone out there ever done this with Disney? I'm considering it because if I took it back to the same store the next one I get would probably be from the same batch. Also, I got a free lithograph which I don't want to return.

David

Ps. A friend of mine has the same dvd player as you. Bought it in early-mid 1997. That thing *IS* a hoss! I ragged on him for spending so much, but I've been through 4 players since then. :)

David Taylor

Agent
Well, I returned it to Best Buy and got another disc. We watched some of the parts that were giving us problems on the old disc (chapters 9 and 10) and then watched the last 20-25 minutes of the movie. It went smoothly with no issues. I think I got a bad disc. I just wonder how widespread the problem is.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
David,

I just finished watching the whole disc last night with no problems whatsoever.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
David,

I looked at parts of the material and fast forwarded through others but saw no overt signs of pixelation or other quality problems.

Sounds like you've concluded that you got a bad disc.

Regards,
Joel

David Taylor

Agent
Yeh, thanks to everyone who checked it out and reported back. It *does* look like I got a bad disc. I don't think I've ever had that happen before and I've owned a DVD player since 1997. Go figure.

David

JonathonSan

Stunt Coordinator
I have no issues with the movie disc, but the Jack-Jack short skips about 30 seconds of the initial interview and pixelates. I have a Panny CP-72. I need to exchange the disc to see what's up. I tried it on my other cheapy player and my PC and all was fine. Wierd.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
There may be some bad discs out there; I work at Guest Service for Target and I got a copy returned on Wed. The customer said it "just froze up" (disc one), but disc two played fine. I wanted to tell him I KNEW it was a bad disc cuz it was foolscreen, but I bit my tongue...;)

DavidBL

Stunt Coordinator

I had my copies of Snow White and the original Mulan Gold Collection go bad due to delamination or some internal (i.e. not scratches) problem, and used this process. I was sent brand new discs without a hassle even though both were OOP.

Jim-M

Second Unit
I had to replace a disc from the Davy Crockett tin and Disney's customer service was excellent to deal with.

Jorge Montes

Stunt Coordinator
I'm having a major problem with disc 2 on my computer. Disc 1 was fine, but disc 2 is all kinds of messed up. On PowerDVD, it keeps asking if I want to resume from where I last left off, even on the first time I loaded up the disc. Then it loads up what I can only assume is the menu (Syndrome's computer lair with the lights turning on) when it suddenly goes black in less than 2 seconds and causes the software to crash. Windows Media Player just says I have parental restrictions that prevent me from playing the disc. Then it too freezes.

I'm gonna return it tomorrow and hopefully, it's just a case of a bad disc.

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Jorge:

Parental restrictions on The Incredibles?:laugh:

I put mine in my Pioneer DV-414; the main menu sputtered a bit and then froze completely. Ejected, reinserted, then it played fine. Same thing with my computer's Power DVD. Haven't watched the entire movie yet.

Casey C.

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up the Incredibles DVD today and ran across a problem I'd never had before. Disc 2 defaults to English subtitles, and even when I go to the setup menu and select "Off," the subtitles remain. (Even weirder: I can select "Spanish" and the subtitles switch to Spanish. Then when I select "off," it's back to English.)

The only way I can get rid of the subtitles is to use the "subtitles" button on my DVD player's remote. But every time I go to a menu and start another featurette, the subtitles return.

I searched the Web and could find no evidence of anyone else with a similar problem. Maybe it's something specific to this disc on my player, which is a JVC XV-S300BK (don't laugh!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks