What's new

*** Official THE HURT LOCKER Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Director Kathryn Bigelow returns with "The Hurt Locker", and film taking place in current day Iraq, following a small group of soldiers of Bravo company who deal with defusing bombs on a daily basis, and the tension from each bomb situation is mined for all it's worth in each scene, as the effects of each uncertain day take their toll on the soldiers, who don't know if a new day will be their last day.

Bigelow is a solid director, using her own visual style and choices in presenting a solid story of missions that can go wrong at a moment's notice, and no one is safe from harm nor the burdens of the after-effect from their primary duties. The acting performances are overall very good, and the story runs the wide spectrum of the dramatic underpinings of being in war situations, and the toll exacted on the human psyche of the main characters, and the sacrifice demanded of those committed to doing what is needed to keep others from harm and death.

If you are into military/war films, you'll be intrigued by the film throughout its running time.

I give it 3.5 stars, or a grade of B+.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I caught this last week and I have to agree that with Patrick that it was pretty good. The performances are excellent and the movie is very suspensful and well directed. When it comes to video, I imagine that it'll give your subwoofer a real work out.

And for those worried, there's no soap box or discussion of politics.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
No politics. And I believe it takes place in the 2003/2004 time frame. Not current day.

It is extremely well made and quite intense. Structurally, I think the film is a real achievement. It almost feels like a few vignettes, which is how a deployment very likely feels.

9/10,
Chuck

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "The Hurt Locker". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an
Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I caught this last month and had no expectations

One of the best films I have seen this year and definitely a return to form for Bigelow. Very tense to watch first time through.
General lack of political statements helps the film as it marks it out as different from the usual Iraq war films - this could be any war really.
Some great cameos as well from other well known actors.
Highly recommended from me and I hope this does really well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks