What's new

*** Official "THE HULK" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Gruson

Second Unit
BORING movie...very boring. I did not care for any of the characters and was never drawn into the movie. Dave Rogers, nice reciew and I agree with basiclly everything.

Thumbs down.

Best part about tonight were the trailers.

Raymond_H

Stunt Coordinator
Based on the turnout at the theater, and the comments I heard folks making on the way out, I'm kinda thinking it probably won't make it to US$100mil. I'm seriously wondering how it's opening will go; if it doesn't open at atleast US$30mil, I don't believe it'll even make it to the century mark. Regardless, I expect it'll have a huge dropoff from week one to two, and it wouldn't surprise me to see a Sunday dropoff on opening weekend either
100 million is a lock. 30million? More like at least 65 million for the weekend.

If Daredevil can open at 40 million, 30 million isn't going to be a problem.

Getting to 200 million and above is the question.

Raymond

AJ Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
AJ
I wasn't planning on seeing Hulk until tomorrow but a friend found a theater that was having a midnight showing and convinced me to go. I would say the experience was underwhelming. I liked the characters and I didn't find the build up all that slow as the reviews made it out to be, probably because of Ang Lee's editing style with the wipes and various dissolves. I enjoyed the movie in parts (however, the parts were far between) and I was touched by the scenes where the Hulk softens and shows emotion. I really felt sorry for him when he made this sad face as the fighter jet took him way up during the San Francisco scene. Not since Gollum has a character gotten that kind of reaction from me. The CGI? I'll call it adequate. Some of the CGI was great (mostly the close-ups) and then it was not so great and sometimes downright laughable.

I had 2 main problems with Hulk. The first is the movie seemed to have no direction after the Hulk first appears. Maybe because I haven't followed the comic but the movie just doesn't seem to have a purpose. It's not hard to figure out what happened to momma Banner early in the movie but by the time Bruce remembers I don't really care anymore and after that the movie has nothing else going for it.

My second problem, dare I say the action was bland. And I think it was bland because I saw most of the same action in the trailers for months. The Hulk vs. the dogs scene was so dark and heavily edited I just couldn't get into it. The Hulk got a couple of intense shots in but most of the battle was hidden in fast editing and bad lighting. I was actually more impressed by the emotion Hulk showed towards Betty before the dogs arrived. The desert scene didn't impress me at all. Hulk jumps around all over the place, looks around a bit, beats up a few tanks, jumps on a helicopter, jumps around a few more times and so forth. I'm sure Hulk fans ate it up but I was yawning. And I can't believe they left that terrible CGI shot of Hulk rolling in the sand. That pretty much took me out of the scene because it got unintentional laughter and jokes from the crowd and it took them awhile to settle down. Hulk barely does anything in San Francisco. He's on the bridge, does nothing...he comes out of the ground, smashes the ground, cars go flying (saw this a million times in the trailer so it's lost the effect) and bam it's over. The most impressive thing about San Francisco isn't even the action. Once again it's the emotion he shows once he sees Betty and calms down. By then I'm just wanting this movie to be over because it's all starting to wear thin but then they drag an extra 15 minutes with that psychedelic finale and after that I was drained. I rarely give stars or ratings to movies. Let's just say I won't be seeing Hulk again anytime soon.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'm going tonight but I already see a split coming. Reviewers like Ebert etc are all giving this film positive reviews, but they state, as the Studio worries about , that it might be too thoughtful of a film for the typical movie going public. You know the Con Air - Ghost- Titanic crowd.
They typical Fanboy geek will mourn the loss of this But I'm already excited that a movie with a POP subject matter actually does'nt stupid itself up for the audience. The Hulk is not a standard Superhero and therefore it was better that they took a different approach. Even the old TV show took a dramatic angle vs. an action one.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
what's with the amazing stretchy changing colour pants?

did he lose them during the dog fight?

:D

dozing at the cinema...is embarassing.

the vocal score was out of place (as in Hulk is out of place?)
the dramatic score was great for the emotional scenes.

the action score was ok.

the CGE was mixed. too much effects though.

the sound was ok.

split screens and wipes got a tad too much.

crowd seemed to enjoy it, especially the dog fight.

hope the DVD is better.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
split screens and wipes got a tad too much.
Is that through the whole movie, or just when the Hulk appears? A. Lee claims wanted to make it real then resorts to this to make more comic book like, make up your mind!

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
It's through the whole movie, Norm. Even when something rather uninteresting is happening (like Banner arriving at work). I liked it, but that's just taste.

the CGE was mixed. too much effects though.
Too much action, not enough action...can't please 'em all.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I'm holding off on seeing it until Sunday, so we can go to Wichita and see it at the Warren instead of the hideous local Dickinson. Ah well, even if it sucks, which I'm doubting, there is always 28 Days Later next week, and thus far it has been an incredible summer to be a film fan.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
I am curious....

I would like to know if anyone who sees HULK actually likes Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon but DOESNT LIKE Hulk.

Just curious.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
I thought CTHDragon was overrated.
I prefer Daredevil.

will go watch all the Hulk DVDs now.

ps. the movie does have quite a bit of humour (did a lot of viewers miss it, or was the drama distracting).

yes he was too big, but if he wasn't, then he probably wouldn't be able to jump like that.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
I loved CTHD...Loved Hulk...only thing I didnt care for in Hulk was the final scene...it just felt tacked on and didnt belong...

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
The panels didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. I liked the movie :star: :star: :star: ½ out of :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:. I will buy the DVD. I loved the leaping, tank fights, jets etc., just like the CB! He hit the mark on a lot, but I'm still peeved about some of the changes, like the Hulks size he looked 20 ft tall, too big, he's not King Kong. the Absorbing Dad wasn't that bad, but how they lead up to it was, letting him yell at B.B. didn't make sense.
The new Origin I feel wasn't that good. I hope they shrink him down a bit in Hulk 2 & I'd like to see him fight a few more villains like the Rhino or Abomination, even the Fantastic Fours Thing (I know it I'll never happen).

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
No I meant bottom. It's basically an entire article to explain the other films, what and why I like/don't, then rank Hulk against them. Short version, Hulk is down in the lower sixth, easy.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Well, I saw it but my feelings on it are kind of sketchy. The reason for this is that the audience I saw this movie with was easily the most obnoxious and hostile theater audience I've ever seen. It's hard to really get into a movie when people throughout the place are *constantly* doing their own MST3K show right there.

But from what I could focus on, the movie seemed solid. I liked the theme of repression that was carried through it (probably not surprising since it's one of Ang Lee's favorites), and the acting was pretty good across the board, especially Eric Bana and Sam Elliot. I felt bad for the guy playing Talbot, though. What a disgraceful character; he's such a scumbag he makes Emperor Commodus from Gladiator look like a swell guy that you want to have over for barbecue.

I loved the Hulk's acting especially, and that did seem to be the one thing that went over well with the crowd. It was the little touches, like the satisfied way he ripped the barrel off the tank and was patting it in his hand, that really put it over.

I did not like the editing, though. It was an interesting experiment but it was ultimately distracting and I didn't think it really added to the film. And I didn't like the music either. It just didn't seem to match the action on screen well enough.

I do want to see the movie again but considering how bad the crowd was, I'm a bit wary of going to see it in theaters again, so I might just wait to rent the dvd.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks