What's new

*** Official THE GRUDGE Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
This is regarding the Japanese version Ju-On: The Grudge, I must ask a question that was broached earlier but never answered, what the hell was it about?;)

Seriously, I understand that it is an ever repeating curse instigated by the original horrible violence but....well, why the hell did the dead Mother feel the need to kill innocent people? She was an innocent victim herself wasn't she, so why would she hunt down other innocent people? Was it actually the murderous Father doing the killing in the guise of the Mother? Was the women we see in the very last shot of the film supposed to be Rika or the Mother? I ask because in the alternate ending commentary by the director, he keeps saying it is Rika but I'll be damned if it doesn't look like the Mother. Is there some cultural thing going on here that I, as a westerner not deeply immersed in japanese culture, am not picking up on?

Would seeing the two previous TV films make it any clearer?

Is there intentionally no clear answer?

I love the film for it's style and atmosphere but it's vague plot is frustrating my true enjoyment of it.

Chris Brock

Second Unit

I guess I dont really see why this is such a ridiculous situation. Actually think if you had experianced those same events. I mean they actually happend to you and you saw the images and experiaced the feelings that the character did. I am positive that no matter how strong or brave you think you are you would be reduced to something simular to that.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

That's actually one of my favorite scenes in the film, it is brilliant in that it shatters the horror convention that turning on all the lights & hiding under the covers, as a child would, will help....it guarantees nothing, your dead no matter what.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I was of course referring to the original Japanese version since I haven't seen the remake yet....sounds to me (from reading this thread) like they are identical for the most part though.

D....didn't you just say "Word"?;)

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I actually liked this film, saw it on DVD tonight. The creep factor was pretty good. I found this movie a lot more "scary" than "The Ring" in every aspect. There were a couple of jump scenes. True, there were a couple of plot holes, like the kid and the cat deal, but overall, it delivered the promised shivers.:emoji_thumbsup: :star: :star: :star: out of 5 stars.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks