What's new

*** Official THE CORE Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
As I said in the 2003 Film List thread, I love these types of films as they are extremely entertaining, and THE CORE is one of the most entertaining to date. Very fun film, and I'll be buying the DVD.

By the way, did anyone else other than myself nearly die laughing at the very first death scene in this film involving the glass table? I guess I have an odd sense of humor, but that had me rolling!

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member

Couldn't disagree with you any more. I think you have them totally reversed. Armageddon didn't take itself very seriously and The Core did. Case in point, the "colorful characters" in Armageddon, chasing each other around an oil rig shooting shotguns, "Road Runner thrust move", developing "space dementia", and a crazy Mir cosmonaut. I never got how people thought it was serious. I suppose it was because of the NASA involvement, but that seemed more for self-promotion than anything.

The Core on the other hand was much closer in tone to Meteor than anything else, with only a smattering of humor and very straight faced discussions about wave dynamics and the consistency of the outer core.

Declan

Second Unit
after seeing it.......... great fun it is too. I actually found it more like Armageddon meets Innerspace. Make of that what you will.

Yeah some of the effects were not great, yeah some of the dialouge was cheesy, yeah, yeah yeah. I did'nt go to see it expecting Schindlers list. These type of movies have been around for years and to the discomfort off all you movie snobs they will STILL be around for years to come.

If you watch the TV and something you dont like comes on, switch the channel or turn it off. Same thing here just dont go see it if you think your not gonna like it, nobody is putting a gun to your head to go.

The core is for everybody (like myself) who love a decent, fun, leave-your-brain-at-the-door type popcorn movie.
Not everybody is gonna like every film. If you dont like it......... fair enough, but there are plenty of poeple who will get a kick out of watching films like The Core.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
This movie is an affront to the word "science". They WENT OUT OF THEIR FREAKING WAY TO GET THINGS WRONG! THEY COULDN'T EVEN KEEP TRACK OF THE GODDAMN AIRCRAFT CARRIER THEY WERE SHOOTING ON!!!!!!!!!!!

My brother's battle group was shot for this film, and you can see his ship in the film. It's the USS CONSTELLATION!! NOT THE GODDAMN ABRAHAM LINCOLN!

THERE ARE NO ORCA WHALES NEAR HAWAII! THEY ARE ARCTIC WHALES, AND THEY DON'T SING!

Unless they magically got super strength, there is no way they could move outside the ship under those pressures in the scene blatantly ripped from Fantastic Voyage

COUNTLESS scenes ripped (badly) from Armageddon. I'm sorry, I LOVE Armageddon, but for Crissakes, it's not like they were even trying!

At least Armageddon kept to a SEMBLENCE of scientific accuracy. How were they transmitting radio signals through 2000 miles of rock? What happened to the superweapon, and why did they just suddenly forget about and, and were informed through psychic powers of the new plan?

There a lot more, but I'm too tired

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
There is no need to yell Jeff. After all, it's just a dumbass movie. As for Armageddon having a semblance of scientific accuracy.....you could have fooled me becuase I didn't see any.

"The Core" really didn't take itself seriously. I mean how can any movie be taken seriously, when it calls an impossible structural material "unobtainium". The whole thing was a joke. Unlike "Armageddon, which really did try to look as if it was serious.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Part 2, they mysterious Ozone hole that produced the Millhouse chasing "invisible" microwaves. On the moon, with no atmosphere between the sun and the surface, the tempurature on the day side is roughly 450 degrees Faranheit. That's right boys and girls, barely enough to burn paper, and CERTAINLY ABOUT A THOUSAND DEGREES (or more) SHY TO MELT A STEEL BRIDGE!

At least Armageddon realized that you can't increase the size of a nuclear weapon by sticking a piece of plutonium nearby(you would have to dissassemble the entire bomb, and totally remanufacture the core!, not exactly a "do it at home" job!). Oh and whatshisface has somehow managed to avoid horrific radiation poisoning from his total mishandling of nuclear material!

In fact, I have only been able to come up with 2 redeeming qualities of the film. 1, there is no token annoying black guy. The guy is as smart, if not smarter than the rest of him and he does good and productive things,especially during the straw drawing (again ripped from Armageddon). That and the fact the film appears to have been shot anamorphically instead of Super35.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
And yet the print I saw looked pretty grainy and soft.
Mine wasn't, I saw it in a THX cert theater as well
Sounds like you're suffering from bulb-turn-down-itis

I challenge ANYONE to find HALF as many violations of basic sciencein Armageddon

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I don't think it matters much if "Armageddon" had 400 errors and "The Core" had 800. Neither of them are about science, they're about adventure.

I enjoyed "The core" more than Armageddon mostly because the actors were better and there was no love story, which I found refreshing.

They did seem to be able to go awfully fast, and the radio signals travelled suspiciously well through the rock, but the other "errors" didn't bother me.

/Mike

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
I challenge ANYONE to find HALF as many violations of basic sciencein Armageddon
That has to be the funniest thing I've ever read on HTF...EVER! ::laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Armageddon?

Maneuvering Space Shuttles (a la the Millenium Falcon) through an asteroid field? :rolleyes

Landing said Space Shuttles on an Asteroid? Asteroid Interplanetary Airport anyone? :rolleyes

Then taking off of the Asteroid? How do Space Shuttles take off of the Asteroid, get back into earth orbit, then find proper re-entry angle and land again? :rolleyes

Oil Drillers sent into space after 18 DAYS of training? :rolleyes

2 Shuttles (that can suddenly maneuver) & equipment all ready to go in 18 days? :rolleyes

Asteroids that you can see crashing into buildings? No, they'd be moving way too fast to react at all. :rolleyes

Now I'm no science wiz...but I bet there are about 5000 more where that came from! :)

Precisely why Armageddon was (gulp, I never thought I'd say this :)) a much better movie than "The Core"; I think Alex summed it up best in his last post.

-Dennis

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Love this quote from Ebert's review:
Their suits are obviously made of something stronger and more flexible than Unobtainium. Probably corduroy.
I was really disappointed when I watched this. Not because of the movie but because of the theatre I was in. They were playing the WRONG sound track! This is a brand new theatre too that I know has a kickass sound system(saw Two Towers there) and it was on a 70mm screen. There was zero, nada, zilch sound coming from any speakers besides the fronts. I complained to a manager and for a brief second we lost all sound and it did sound like they switched to the proper track but it then went right back to all fronts. I know a shuttle passing overhead surely makes more noise than a fart lost in the wind.

So that kept me from enjoying this movie at all. I'm still a big fan of Armageddon so was hoping to enjoy this one too. That didn't happen.

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
Er... I don't think that there _was_ a real sound track...

Was NOT impressed.

IMHO, it's not even a Really Bad Movie. It's just a straight to video thing to show the kids on a Saturday afternoon.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I like seeing something new every day. For the first time ever I've now read that Armageddon is in some way a standard of scientific accuracy. Makes you wonder why none of NASA's space shuttle Orbiters maneuver like an F/A-18 Hornet. Whatever.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Then taking off of the Asteroid? How do Space Shuttles take off of the Asteroid, get back into earth orbit, then find proper re-entry angle and land again?
Considering the asteroid had very little gravity it would be quite easy. Fire engine, kick thrusters to launch vector, zoom.

Again, these are "performance" shuttles, so they would be designed to get their way into a re-entry corridor from a trans-lunar orbit. These are science-fiction next-gen shuttles. Had they beeen flying STS THEN you would have a real beef.

So the mere fact that these are Science FICTIONAL next-gen shuttles eats half your arguements right there.

I maintain that Armageddon looks like a nobel prize winner in comparison to the horrific non-science of The Core

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
They look like regular shuttles in their basic design and shape. They have no (visually detectable) thrust capabilities besides the traditional rear thrust. Thus, they can't maneuver regardless of what fictional fantasy land they occupy. Why do they still use the "old design" of booster rockets and giant external fuel tank? That's a 30 year old design! And finally, why do they have 2 of these experimental shuttles (which have never been launched before if I remember correctly). They spent 50 billion dollars to build 2 of them, only to never test them until something like that "just came up"? Puh-leez!

I think "The Core" is just as implausible, believe me, you won't see me defending the "science" of that either! But I was able to enjoy "Armageddon" as pure popcorn flick because of the colorful characters and over the top wacky situation comedy, which screamed "DON'T TAKE ME SERIOUSLY!!". "The Core", on the other hand, takes itself way too seriously to be that much fun, unless you're completely stoned (as Scott was when he watched it, I'm sure :D) In that sense, it's a "So bad it's REALLY BAD style MST3K film. Mind numbingly bad, but not in a good way...

-Dennis

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks