*** Official THE BUTTERFLY EFFECT Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Paul_Scott, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

saw this trailer before ROTK and it made me curious.
    Kutcher looks like he actually gives a performance in the film and the premise and theme looks intriguing.

2. Bill J

Bill J Producer

The premise is intriguing, but from the trailers I have seen I have a feeling they will screw it up (and that has nothing to do with Kutcher being in the film). [​IMG]

I recommend reading Ray Bradbury's short story "A Sound of Thunder".

I will definitely give this film a chance though.

3. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

The trailer is misleading..

The premise is really interesting and only really hinted at in the trailer. It's a really solid movie (almost surprisingly so) and Kutcher actually does a good job in it.

I can't comment any further on any specifics but you should be plesantly surprised. I know I was.

Mark

4. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

This was one of my most anticipated films of last year until they delayed it till 2004. It'll be great to finally get to see this one. Hopefully the delays don't mean its been butchered.

5. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

Justin,

Butchered in what sense?. The final film is pretty violent and is "R" rated in the US.

It deals with some pretty dark subject matter yet at the same time has a strong message that despite the dark subject matter can be applied to every day life.

I really hope the film does well. I for one know I'll be seeing it again when it's released.

6. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

I am really looking forward to this, the premise is intriguing and the trailers have been good.

7. Bill J

Bill J Producer

They probably delayed it because they thought it would preform better at the box office in January.

8. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

Usually when films get pushed back, the films are tinkered with by the studio, thus turning them into royal messes. I'm not talking about violence, I'm talking about changing several things around entirely. Its happened several times in the past. Check out Supernova for just one of many examples. I've been waiting for this film for more than a little while, and was hoping it didn't suffer a similar fate. Your words are most reassuring.

9. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Unless the trailer is wrong, the "butterfly effect", a theory that chaos is the M.O. of the universe, and a movie about a character who can only die, no matter what happens to prevent it.

Not only is the name of movie inappropriate, but isn't this just the first half of The Time Machine turned into a full-length movie?

10. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
  11. Shawn_KE

Shawn_KE Screenwriter

Thanks for posting that link Bill, gives a pretty good insight to what the Butterfly Effect means.

I look forward to the movie, the first trailer I was a bit undecided if I wanted to see it or not, but I'll give it a try.

12. Marc_Sulinski

Marc_Sulinski Supporting Actor

So you have actually seen the movie?

13. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    My friend was going to see it at Sundance before it opens so I am interested on his opinion.
    The trailer looks great. I hope it's decent. I love Time travel kinda movies.

How did you see it Mark?

14. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

Yeah I've actually seen the movie. Saw it last week.

I'm a critic so I get to see things early all the time. It also explains why I can't post a detailed review untill it opens. Don't want to upset the publicists that are nice enough to let me see things early.

Mark

15. Michael Pakula

Michael Pakula Second Unit

Anyone looking forward to this besides me?. At first I wasn't to sure about it since because of Ashton Kutcher but, I am a big fan of time travel movies So I will at least check it out. I was also looking on Upcoming Movies and Greg from the site had a chance to see the movie and he seemed to like it.

-Mike

16. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

...well...

. . . [​IMG] . . .

17. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

18. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Threads are now combined. Reminder to all: The search function is your friend. [​IMG]

M.

19. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i just read Bikkits review of the film.
    predictibly, they trash AKs performance.
    one of the qualities of the trailer i found interesting was that it looked like AK would be able to handle the dramatic requirements of the material.
    i'm not saying the reiviewer is wrong or biased, obviously because i haven't seen the film yet.

i just have a hard time with people dumping on an actor like AK while all the while Keanu Reeves, who has very very very little to offer as an actor besides his pretty mug, is consistently cast in top shelf, high profile productions.

20. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

...well...

. . . [​IMG] . . .