What's new

***Official The Brute Force Xbox Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Well thats good to know. But I had just finished a firefight and was moving along to a teleport pad and noticed that Brutus was dead. I could have sworn Kate & Tex had several med kits left because I just patched her up. If Brutus had access, why did he not use a kit to keep himself alive? (I'm going to have to go and check this).

I also remember using Kate as my point person and let her pick up the supplies. But when I switched to Brutus, he was still low on shotgun ammo even though Kate picked some up.

Dave.A.C

Agent
Using a medkit requires the character to stop what they're doing and use the medkit. So if Brutus was in the middle of a fight, he wouldn't have stopped returning fire to take the medkit. In this case, if you notice it, you can issue a 'Use Medkit' command then a 'Cover Me' command to get him to save himself. It could also be that he got hit by a powerful blast that took out a lot of health at once (those little lava dogs do this to me a lot).

Btw - who's Kate ;) ?

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
So would you boycott a film if a director chose to use a 4:3 aspect ratio rather than a widescreen ratio on a feature film? ;)

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
16:9 AR is a nice "extra", but why would the aspect affect the "playability" or fun factor of the game? I confess that AR is one of the first things I look for in a game, but 4:3 won't stop me from getting a great game.

Martin.

Derek.Dixon

Agent
Okay guys where in my post did I say I would boycott the game or any game not in widescreen for that matter, I said "no widescreen no buy AT LEAST FOR RIGHT NOW" that means I'm not in any rush to go out and buy it RIGHT NOW, period thats all I said thats all I implied as for movies go I could care less what format directors choose to film their movies in Steven Spielberg can go out and shoot his next blockbuster in black and white or 3-D glasses for all I care, I'm talking about Brute Force the game and only Brute Force the game I own 4:3 games and 16:9 games and I like them all that's why I bought them, the only difference is that I tend to seek out the 16:9 ones FIRST because that's my personal preference, and that my friends was the ONLY point of the post ;)

Dave.A.C

Agent
The biggest indicator of how different approaches change the game - I've logged 15 hours of single player campaign and am just starting the 16th mission. I've read reviews that said you can finish it in 6 hours. I personally don't see how that's possible without just running and gunning, killing off the squad, then cloning them to get through the levels. Of course, I'm also not a pro at games and readily admit that I'm pretty mediocre. But I'm looking at 21+ hours to finish it vs. the reports of 6. Two VERY different approaches to the game.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I'm playing on "hard" and I have about 20 hours into the game. I read somewhere that it's 20+ levels? Not sure how "plus" it is but, if it's 20 levels, I have 5 more to go.

That's another several hours to add.

I have no idea, other than what you said about run/gun/clone, how the game could be finished in 6 hours?!!? :confused:

I just did some simple math and if the 6 hour rule is true, you would have to finish each level in 18 minutes; and that's NOT taking into account that several levels have several chapters which are complete levels within themselves so, in actuality, you'd have to finish each level in considerably less than 18 minutes.

That would be absolute run at top speed, blast anything, let everyone die, clone, keep running.

Who the hell would play like that? ...that's...fun?

Link Removed

In fact, I thought to myself that it's cool that we finally have another decently long game. I hate getting shafted with short games. Ever hear anyone give a review and say, "hey...great graphics, killer gameplay, awesome sound, and as an added bonus, it's really short and over quick."

James St

Supporting Actor
you'd have to finish each level in considerably less than 18 minutes
It might be possible in four player co-op where everyone is using an aggressive run/gun style attack. Not having to micro manage your team would cut down on time.

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
Just picked up this game after a 10 day vacation. It was great to get away, but I'm ready to get "plugged in" again.

Glad to hear that it's good.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Great game! The only thing that seems to be missing is the ability to issue a command to "everyone else" at once. It's a pain in the ass to place your sniper on a hill, your heavy artillery guys at certain locations, and sneak the character you are playing in by stealth, clear an area, and not be able to say, "everyone, cover me" to get the other three characters moving again. Unless I missed something?!? Also, a minor annoyance is that between chapters, all the commands are forgotten, and they seem to default to "following at a distance".

Martin.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Martin, unless I'm misunderstanding you, you can highlight and issue the same order ("cover me") to any and all of your team members at once. Once you're in the order-giving screen, you can highlight whatever members you'd like to receive the same orders.

Did that make any damn sense? ;)

In other words, if I press and hold down on the D-pad to select Brutus to receive an order, I can then tap left to select Hawk and right to select Flint, THEN give the order and they'll all follow it.

JayF

Stunt Coordinator
Can anyone tell me if there is a HUD or health bar on screen, and if so can it be toggled off?

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
JayF,

There are lots of static displays on the screen. I don't think they can be turned off. The gameplay would suffer if you could. RPTV, eh?

Martin.

Dave.A.C

Agent
JayF - There's a very bright HUD on screen at all times, lots of bright colors. This was a big concern to me, but I've played 4 hours straight without issue. The cutscenes/save-load points seem to take the HD off screen frequently enough.

On the 'everybody' command, I'm with Martin. While the current setup is good enough (bring up the command interface then highlight multiple characters) I would have loved a sort of instant everyone ability. Push a button (maybe the center of the d-pad, is that a button?) and it insantly selects everyone to recieve a command. Would make retreating everyone out of a losing battle go much more quickly without breaking the pace much.

Finally, I finished the game on the easiest level. Took 20 hours (only 18 missions which seemed odd to me), and the final chapter was pretty dissapointing, as was the final movie. It really seemed like the developer's weren't finished with the story, but time was running out so they had to end it somewhere. Good thing I enjoyed the game so much. I've even started going back and trying for the 100% on levels (got it on the first two), something I never do.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
It really seemed like the developer's weren't finished with the story, but time was running out so they had to end it somewhere. Good thing I enjoyed the game so much.
Doesn't it seem like this is the case with all games these days? :)

I picked up Brute Force on Saturday and I like it a lot so far. It feels very polished to me with good attention to detail, the gameplay handles well, and it's a nice balance between letting you plan a strategy for the levels but then throwing some surprises at you to kick up the action.

Since I like stealth/sniping, I find that of the four characters I'm using the ladies far more than the other two, although Tex is fun when you need to go crazy. I've barely used Brutus.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
I generally have been playing as Tex, with occasional forays into Hawk and Flint when stealth/sniping is neccessary. I haven't used Brutus much, either. He seems to do pretty well on his own. He doesn't need me screwing him up... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks