What's new

*** Official THE AVIATOR Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Seth, you'll notice the Scorsese-ness a lot more on the second/third time. I didn't really notice all the powerhouse editing (some truly exhilerating cuts, esp. during the congressional hearings) or cinematography until my second viewing. The movie just has SOOO much stuff going on at once.

PS- once again, Mr. Scorsese gets the shaft. What can I say. I really hoped he would win it this time. (the oscars)

Regards,
Nathan

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Well I do see Aviator growing on me even though I quite liked it the first time around. Everytime I see a clip from the film now I think "oh yeah, that was great". It was an awful lot to take in.

I most liked Leo as Hughes when he was flipping between standing up for himself (like with Kate's family) and being humble/insecure. He was excellent at being both things at the same time so that I believed it.

It gave meaning to how a guy that rich and powerful could actually have other issues. I mean this guy was so much more than a Trump or Turner (though Ted has had some interesting moments as well, but still far less creative or unique than Hughes).

In many ways Aviator did for Hughes what Kane did for Hearst, giving a "rich weirdo" some accessible humanity. Aviator is no Kane of course, but in terms of what sort of film it was, what it was presenting on the character, there is a similarity.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
These days, I only buy a handful of DVDs each year and this one will definitely make it to my collection. For me, there are a lot of memorable moments in the film - far more than any other film I have seen in 2004.

~Edwin

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I crammed a viewing of the Aviator in on Sunday before the Oscars, being the only BP nominee I had yet to see. I had procrastinated for awhile because of how disappointed I was in the last DiCaprio/Scorsese pairing. Well, it exceeded my expectations and will likely add it to my collection. I will probably get the WB product given Miramax's track record for PQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks