What's new

*** Official THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES BY THE COWARD ROBERT FORD Discussion (1 Viewer)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
James B is at the Toronto film festival and has seen it. While not a full review, he gives some thoughts here. Bscially said the beginning and end are very strong but has issues with the middle saying its too long and spends too much time focusing on minor characters.

http://www.reelviews.net/tiff2007/tiff2007_3.html

TwoKings

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
anyone planning on seeing it this weekend? I am going to be in Austin nextweekend and plan on catching a screening of it. I can't wait.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"This goes wider on October 5th."

I was hoping I would be able to see it this weekend. Just checked and its not playing near me friday so I guess Oct 5it is.:frowning:

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
A few thoughts on the casting of small parts: strangely, the Missouri governor who strikes a deal with the Ford brothers to knock off Jesse James is played by James Carville. I actually didn't think he was bad, but it was a jarring cameo.

Michael Parks plays the sherriff in those same sequences. His most notable role of late was a double part in Kill Bill, as the sherriff in El Paso ("this tall drink of cocksucker ain't dead") and the aging Mexican gangster ("you would have been my number one lady"). He's great in this small part, and in the one scene in the governor's office with Carville, the contrast between casting even a minor role with a real actor or a fake actor is readily apparent.

Last, but definitely not least, there was the stunning actress who played the frisky trophy wife of an old deaf aristocrat--her name is Kailin See. IMDB lists an uncredited appearance for her in Brokeback Mountain as "Hippy girl"; I just put that DVD in to see if I could find her, but she didn't seem to be in the one scene I thought of that might have someone who looks like a hippie (the 4th of July fireworks display). Man, is she hot. I'd love to see her get some more visible roles off this one.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
The more I think about it, only one other film I've ever seen has made me feel the same underlying moodiness and persistent vibe that this film did. That film is Barry Lyndon. The unspoken is often the most important, and the attention to detail is immaculate. Shots linger, voice over narrates far too much for a typical film yet doesn't falter despite this, and the acting is flawless.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Great film. My overlong review is in the review thread. I had some minor qualms that were more the result of misguided expectations then on the part of the film itself (The Malick comparison is too problematic; Dominik has his own approach. Someone needs to tell the critical community that Malick is more than good nature shots); I look forward to seeing it again. I also wanted to mention we had about 20-30 walkouts at our screening, happening consistently for the first 2 hours or so. This sort of thing happen anywhere else?

Regards,
Nathan

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member

It's the surprise of the year for me, so far. And, I think I reacted to it much the same way you reacted to Zodiac, while my reaction to Zodiac was about the same as your reaction to Jesse James.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
No mentions of the homoerotic undertones? The tension is sometimes so palpable you can cut thru it with a knife!

--
H

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Is this film EVER going to come to my redneck-uneducated city? ARRRRGGGG. :angry:

sorry for the attitude; I'm still pouting over A&M losing to Kansas saturday.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

CoreyII

Second Unit

It's way past October 5 and this film still seems to be in a limited release status. I live in the Los Angeles area and this film is still in only a handful of theaters.

Does anyone know if this film will distributed to more theaters in the upcoming weeks?

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Unfortunately, I highly doubt it. TerryRL said its rollout depended on per-theatre averages of the opening weeks, which have not been high enough, I guess. It's already left 1 of the 2 theatres it has in Seattle, and is down to just one matinee showing a day here. In any case, let's hope that means the DVD will come faster. I saw this a month ago, and it's still stuck in my head. I've never seen anything quite like it, nor have I felt at the end of a movie how I felt after this one- I can't quite describe it.

Regards,
Nathan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks