*** Official STAR WARS Saga (episodes I to VI) Discussion Thread: Part 4

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Robert Crawford, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shawn_KE

Shawn_KE Screenwriter

What would Yoda's Sith name be?

Cause going by that Pepsi commercial, he is using the force for personal gain. Yoda is going down he path of the Darkside.

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

IF the Jedi council were around in Luke's time ... he would not have been able to save his friends or his father ...

In TESB ... Yoda says that if Luke rushes off to rescue his friends ... he would destroy all they have fought for ... AKA ... let them die ... (Why does that sound familiar?)

In ROTJ ... Luke must save his father ... strangely similar to Anakin must save Padme or Mother ... and Luke ignores all to that end. Anakin waits too long ... because the Jedi council keeps holding him back ...

Vader saves Luke because he is finally in a position to save someone he loves ... something he couldn't do all those years ago.

Wonderful how ROTS makes us look at the original trilogy in a different light.

Regards

3. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

4. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

I think Owen and Beru don't know Anakin lived on and became Darth Vader. I've always assumed Obi-Wan told them that Anakin was killed in the war, and so Owen grows to hate the Jedi, since looking at it from his perspective, he had a step-brother he barely got to know because he was taken from his mother´s side when he was a boy, and thanks to his commitment to the Jedi, he was too late to save her when she needed him the most. Owen's fear for Luke is based on how the family he could have had was torn apart by their connection to the Jedi.

5. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    I'd assume Ricardo is 100% right. As far as the universe is concerned, Anakin is dead. Only Yoda and OW can confirm who Vader really is (and maybe R2). It's also possible Organa knows. I doubt OW shared that tidbit with Beru [​IMG]
    Take care,
    Chuck

6. Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins Producer

If the universe thinks Anakin is dead, then the universe also has no idea that Anakin Skywalker ever turned against the Jedi.

So Anakin Skywalker remains a hero in the annals of the Republic, albeit explaining how he died would be a bit difficult.

7. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

Matt that really sucks what happened to you.

It also sucks, although to a lesser level that my hometown didn't have a midnight showing and I just got back from ROTS.

I'm in the camp that won't vote until I've seen ROTS a time or 2 more. Tim is right, as of this moment there is just too much swurling around in my head and in my heart.

I think Ricardo hit the nail on the head in his assessment of what Owen knew and thought and what he feared for his nephew.

8. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Okay, I finally got the see the entire film. I'm not voting at this time either, though I'm leaning toward ESB as #1 and ROTS as #2.

I remember people saying (myself included) that AOTC was drastically different than all other Star Wars films. I think Sith only continues this. It really is nothing like anything I've seen before. I think Lucas did an amazing job of arranging quiet personal moments amidst a background of CGI fueled chaos. It really creates a unique texture.

9. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

10. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Vader might appear more subdued because of the way OBW has aged since they met. Vader has obviously grown stronger with the Dark Side, more arrogant and confident. No one's heard a thing from OBW in years.
    I bought it before ROTS and still do. [​IMG]

11. Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey Cinematographer

I'll add that I also buy into Ricardo's interpreation of Owen's knowledge.

12. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    The force is strong enough in both of them to be able to communicate without saying a word.

That scene seems stronger now to me, because it is more clear why Obi Wan accepts a duel he knows will cost him his life, and we have a better explanation of the way he ends it. Much more powerful now. If you take every word that's said to have a hidden meaning known to both of them (or transferred through the mind) the way we know now, you'll look quite differently at it.

And perhaps Obi Wan is pulling another trick as well: distracting Vader's attention from sensing the presence of Luke, his son, and perhaps Leia.

BTW, we must assume now that he knows who Leia is when he iterrogates her and later when she has to deal with the destruction of the planet. Her identity is in fact no secret at that point of the story.

Cees

13. Dan Keefe

Dan Keefe Second Unit

Cees I don't think we have to assume that...I don't think Annikin knew Padme was having twins. Otherwise, it would make no sense that he didn't see her as a possible threat in ANH.

The only thing I wish they would have shown was how Obi Wan communes with Qi-Gon...that would have been cool.

14. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Dan,

But she is 'the princess', isn't she? How would anyone know that if she isn't Padme's daughter, officially?

Michael,

15. ZackR

ZackR Supporting Actor

Could Senator Organa have become king/ruler of Alderaan? Just wondering. Maybe that is why Leia is called "Princess" in the OT. I don't know. Only a thought. I am sure that was never spelled out, but I guess it is possible. He was a senator, after all. Maybe he was elected king of Alderaan or something in the same way that Padme had been elected queen of Naboo.

Edited because I can't type this morning

16. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

The novel refers to him as the consort of the Queen of Alderaan. So Leia being a princess has nothing to do with Padmé, whose Queen title was only temporary, while she ruled Naboo.

17. ZackR

ZackR Supporting Actor

Cool. So her adopted mother was Queen. Awesome. I have not read the novel. Thanks!! [​IMG]

18. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    The novel has no authority to me next to the films.
    [​IMG]
    Cees

19. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

20. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Score: B+

I'll write more later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.