What's new

Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005) (1 Viewer)

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Fred:

This was always going to be a tough last few minutes to score, because it's by far the most low-key ending to any of the films.

I though the use of Leia and Luke's (force) theme was very appropriate, and very emotional.

However, in general, the more I think about it, the more I think ROTS suffers almost as much as AOTC from music editing/butchering. GL should REALLY let Williams rescore AOTC and ROTS.

ToddJ

Second Unit
I wish they wouldn't have said Leia's name in the birth scene....That way someone in the future who is watching the movies in order (and doesn't know what happens-which I know is hard to believe) will not know for sure that Luke and Leia are brother and sister.

FredK

Second Unit

You're right, they were good, and I love how the movie starts and ends with the force theme... I guess it's the Funeral/Star Destroyer scenes that were weak for me.

Though, get this, I really felt the funeral once they showed Jar Jar in the procession... that's when I knew for better or worse the PT was over. :frowning:

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor

Did you see the youngling on the landing pad take out like 4 troopers? The kid had better saber skills than most of the other Jedi that were killed.:D ;)

Chris

Senior HTF Member

I think, though, that was one of the things I really liked; some of the Jedi went down fighting; some where taken by suprise by the turn of their own troops, leaving them trapped.. I thought that was very good.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
The score stuff was what I was trying to say too in my post. The Qui Gon funeral stuff from TPM was effective and even could've been used for Padme's final Naboo wake, but this was a missed opportunity.

Anyone else feeling that the twins going to their respective homes was rushed? Leia's wasn't as much....then boom-OBW is back on Tatooine. Kind of wanted some kind of send off from OBW.

I don't know..."May the Force Be With You, young Luke....I'll be watching over you"

The other nitpicky issue is how fast Padme leaves Coruscant and lands on Mustafar. Sweeeeeeeet ship but a fast one. ;)

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member

Maybe a little bit. The Eopie that Obi-Wan rode on was a nice touch, though.

One VERY nice little touch, though, was seeing Obi-Wan's ship docking on the UNDERNEATH of the Tantine IV. Nice little symmetry there with the Tantine IV and the beginning of ANH.

FredK

Second Unit
there was a guy dressed as podracer anakin, costumed to the 9's even with the goggled helmet. Never knew kiddie-vader had so much cred, he's was getting photos with the ladies left and right (including some slave leia's I wish I never saw! *shudder*).

I also enjoyed Obi-Wan's cruiser leaving Coruscant over our heads, it was a nice play on the open of ANH.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan

I'm with you Tim, she was very good.

As far as the ending goes, I thought the simplicity of it was perfect. I really enjoyed the scoring, and the scenery was beautiful. I could have used one closeup shot of Obi Wan holdling Luke, giving a warm smile. But that's nitpicking.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone else find Vaders performance during his "Argh!" moment (when the Emperor tells him that he killed Padme) to be a bit "goofy"? He just didn't seem too menacing.

Now that I think about it, that's probably because Hayden played him SO evil (when he was human) that the emotionless costume lost so much of his performance (in comparison)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

You make a good point Bryan. Eventhough I love Star Wars like most of us do...I am just too critical opening night. Lucas has said that SW fans have come to feel some ownership with it. I agree.

I won't speak for all, but I know I judge each little thing, nuance, subtlety etc....going way overboard and not really enjoying the experience.

Then after the excitement/anticipation stuff settles, I really kick into the fun phase part.

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor

Wasn't that Jett, Lucas's son?

Loved the binary sunset ending. Perhaps my favorite moment on the OT and to see it echoed here was emotional for me in a geeky way.

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
Mark,

I agree completely. It was between that moment and the "she's lost the will to live" for the most ridiculous and unneccessary of the film. Neither moment needed a word spoken, but as always, why go subtle when you can beat someone over the head?

Cheers,

Jason

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I saw a 9am showing. A few peopel showed up to get tickets for later shows. I saw it with about 20 people. 1/2 were sniffling and everyone clapped at the end.

Overall Im very pleased. The CGI was a bit too fancy in some places,like where Aayla Secura was killed.

The saber duels were great and I loved the stff with Yoda and Palpatine. Awesome to watch Palpy Force throw objects at Yoda.
The Wookies were great to see, which only makes Jedi sadder since it wasnt done properly.

Anakin getting burnt was really effective and yes Portman was ALOT better this time around.

I really wish the scenes with QuiGon talking to Yoda and Yoda landing on Dagobah were there though.

Much better than the previous 2 :emoji_thumbsup:

After I walked out, I was tempted to get another ticket and see it again, but Im going again with my dad tomorow afternoon.

A few moments I didnt like:

-"she's lost the will to live for the most ridiculous and unneccessary of the film." Yes,it would have workd better without words and Im not sure I lke her named the children righ then and there.

- I would have liked more anger from Vader about Padmes death, walls collapsing. It looked great when he walked off the bed but I didnt like the "arrrgh!" either.

-Obiwans lizard.

-Another Wookie tarzan yell.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I really did like the film,very much so. The experience last night was mixed. I met some cool people standing in line for a few hours, but there was a jack ass behind me who was there with a friend and he didn't want to be there. Through the whole movie he kept saying things like "this is freaking stupid" and "can we just leave"...and like I said earlier, the projector shut down twice and the really sucked.

They did some cool give aways, including stuff from Celebration, like the talking vader figure.

As far as the movie goes, I am like Tim, a little to critical and waiting for things I know about to happen. I really wish I wasn't as spoiled about what was happening as I was. The next viewing I will go in with a new perspective, and am sure that I will enjoy it even more.

I think the scene I liked the least was Mace v Palps. I love Sam Jackson, but just didn't buy his performance. Anakins turn to the dark side to me wasn't as split second as some have said. There was the Tusken Raider stuff, the Dooku stuff, and besides, you have to ask yourself, what would you do to save the one you love. Five people will probably give five different answers, but there will probably be one of those five that would do anything, and that one is anakin.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I agree. There were a lot of things that lead to that moment. And, of course, his 'turn' is going to be a split second decision. I think it would have been worse if he had debated about it for a long period of time. The quick 'turn' seems like the only way to turn to the Dark side.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark

I disagree with this. It is clear that Palpy's ability to see and read the future is VERY clear in the prequels. Sidious knew Anakin would show up, and he was never in real peril via Mace. Didn't you see the glint in Sidious' eyes when Mace and Anakin were talking: he was proud of how well his twists had worked and is just waiting to pounce on Mace and show Anakin how truly powerful he is.

Further, Papy's ability to know EXACTLY what Anakin is having nightmares about should tip you off to just how gifted he is with his visions of the future. It is only when he gets bloated and complacent with his power (19 years later) that his vision is as clouded as the Jedi's is in the prequels.

I don't understand why people are saying Vader's turn to the dark side is done too quickly. It has been touched on for the last two movies, and by the time he yells "No!," he is just too consumed with fear. There is no turning back after that moment. He knows it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks