What's new

*** Official STAR TREK (2009) Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Given that Spock keeled over sensing the death of 300 Vulcans on the Intrepid, the whole planet must have been hellish if he couldn't prepare for it or block it.

Has anyone associated with the film hinted at whether Kirk got anything else out of the mind meld?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Good post linking how Spock has been able to know that the Intrepid's crew died. This scene in Star Trek 2009 I took literally when I saw how he looked up in the sky to see Vulcan implode. Makes sense that we are seeing what Kirk is seeing in the mind meld. Good call!

I've read most of the interviews with the writers and i don't think, or know of any more details Spock could have revealed to Kirk in the meld. But given how close they are, you'd think that it would be very likely young Kirk would get that feeling from Spock Prime. And I think that shows.

And regarding Delta Vega, I figured that it's an alternate Universe, so that Planet happens to be called Delta Vega and it's not really that close to Vulcan.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
"I would suspect the energy requirements of Transwarp beaming would make it impractical for everyday use."

I would suspect the energy requirements of any type of beaming would make it impractical for everyday use.

"And regarding Delta Vega, I figured that it's an alternate Universe, so that Planet happens to be called Delta Vega and it's not really that close to Vulcan."

Alternate timeline or not Vulcan was just too damn close to Delta Vega for it to make any sense.

And I still have a problem with Vulcan having a blue sky!

It's still such a fun movie, though. I've watched it four times already since I bought it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Kevin- I thought Paul's post above makes a lot of sense regarding Delta Vega. We've seen Spock on TOS actually feel or sense the deaths of the entire crew of the Intrepid over a great distance. And what we saw in the new movie was a visual representation of Kirk is seeing in his mind what Spock was feeling during Vulcan's destruction the mindmeld. So Spock wasn't actually seeing Vulcan imploding in the Delta Vega sky with his eyes. He's seeing it in his mind as he is sensing it happening as he's looking up in the sky.

If that was the real intent of that scene, it's a very subtle thing. I took it literally when I saw it too.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
^^ Was it the real intent? I don't know if I'd say that, but the producers did acknowledge it was essentially a "dream sequence," and the depiction of Vulcan was done with artistic license. Because how else would they show it?

If you were to reply "with a viewscreen" or some other caveat, I'd say you just don't understand film-making.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The more I think about this film the worse it gets. The contrived water pipe scene with Scotty and the transparent water pipes. The convenient "hatch" for Scotty's escape just before the water "blender". The ugly uninspired 20th Century industrial design of the engineering deck. The awful exposition by Spock. The weak ass, mundane motivation for the villain's revenge. Wipe out 6 billion people who have nothing to do with the fact that Spock couldn't save your wife and kid? Sad.

The pointless 'vette scene with the ridiculous Nokia ad. Yeah, Nokia is still around in the 23rd Century. They made it even worse by having him turn on the radio and have a piece of music playing that would be long gone and forgotten even in Kirk's childhood. The idiotic Kirk pod ejection scene and, finally, the awful iteration by young Spock, almost word for word, about being emotionally compromised. I suppose that was Abram's idea of connecting the two Spocks, but all it did was make me roll my eyes over how contrived it sounded.

I always thought the Spock's Brain episode was the epitomy of bad Star Trek, but now I'm beginning to think that this reboot is giving it a run for its money.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Maybe you shouldn't think about it so much then?

And who's to say what will still be listened to in the future? (It looked like young Kirk was activating an MP3 jukebox anyway.) Zefram Cochrane seemed to be fond of 60's rock and roll in the 22nd century. Commander Riker was a jazz fan in the 24th.

One might as well complain about Picard's 1930's pulp detective novel passion, or Sisko's obsession with a pro sport that dies out about 30 years from now.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
^^^^^
Well, I keep reading this thread and all the praise for this film keeps making me think about all the problems that I saw in it. As for your other examples, I found those were better handled in those series. Not that bringing up TNG makes Abrams use of that music any better. I don't think much of TNG either.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
Having watched it again on Blu-Ray, my criticisms of the film have softened ... a bit.

It does work because the characters are likable and the "gee-whiz" adventuring spirit basically plows over what is honestly a pretty terrible plot.

Chris Pine really carries the movie, watching it the second time I noticed a lot more "Shatner-isms" in his performance as well.

I hope the sequel has a far better plot + villian, but then again this is the same team that did Transformers, so I'm not overly optimistic in that regard. But hopefully being free of having to work in the Leonard Nimoy cameo and introducing all the characters (which required a lot of jumping through hoops), they can craft a better story next time out.

As neat as it may be to see Shatner as Kirk one last time ... they really need to kill any idea of doing that again, especially if it involves more time travelling. Just ... say .... no.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
"... watching it the second time I noticed a lot more "Shatner-isms" in his performance as well."

Pete,

I've noticed this as well. One of these "Shatner-isms" is the way he sits in the chair; another is the way Pine says "Bones." At one point in the film, it sounded so much like Shatner that I almost forgot who it was I was watching on the screen. And the special features point out too how Pine could have been even more like Kirk (and was on the set), but that he toned it down so as not to come across as being too imitative in the actual film.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Not to add more negative comments, but one thing I didn't like about Pine is his voice. Even if I don't compare him to William Shatner, Pine's voice sounds like a kid and somewhat irritating. It sounds odd to hear him say the signature Kirk lines such as: Kirk to Enterprise, Kirk to engineering, Scotty! Or to hear him say Bones. Sorry Scott, I didn't hear what you heard.

Perhaps if the next film, he will play him a bit more matured, his voice will also lower or be less irritating, it will work better for me. Other then that, I will give Pine some credit for doing a pretty monumental task of taking on the role of Kirk.

I did see the piece on Pine in the special features and the one Kirk mannerism is the way he crosses his legs in the chair, and he talks about that. Pine

I watched Balance of Terror the other night and it was to me, one of the best episodes of TOS and Kirk at his best. This and Corbomite Maneuver, the first series episode, Shatner is Kirk!

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
"Chris Pine really carries the movie, watching it the second time I noticed a lot more "Shatner-isms" in his performance as well."

What was great about Chris Pine's performance is that he does Shatner without really "doing" Shatner.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
"What was great about Chris Pine's performance is that he does Shatner without really "doing" Shatner."

Agreed.

I must admit, as a hardcore fan of all of Trek (and especially of TOS), I am anxiously awaiting another film in the series. I was somewhat concerned with the alternate timeline, and like some posters in this thread, found the villain to be unconvincing. But as I mentioned quite some time ago, I was at the theater to see characters I have loved for many, many years rather than to see a spectacular (or even an above-average) story. To me, the plot was subordinate to the legends, in other words.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Like I have said. I wish they would have had Kirk become first officer of the Enterprise under Pike at the end of the movie. Then have the sequel open up a few years later with Kirk taking over for Pike. It just bizarre that a guy who hasn't even graduated the academy is propelled to Captain of a frontline starship.

Oh...since we are nitpicking...

http://www.linkandpinhobbies.com/Graphics/bk_nit st tos.jpg

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Originally Posted by Ockeghem

"What was great about Chris Pine's performance is that he does Shatner without really "doing" Shatner."

Agreed.

I must admit, as a hardcore fan of all of Trek (and especially of TOS), I am anxiously awaiting another film in the series. I was somewhat concerned with the alternate timeline, and like some posters in this thread, found the villain to be unconvincing. But as I mentioned quite some time ago, I was at the theater to see characters I have loved for many, many years rather than to see a spectacular (or even an above-average) story. To me, the plot was subordinate to the legends, in other words.
Agreed. The movie had two main functions - make Trek cool again and sell us on a new cast playing the original crew. In those respects, plus the whole FUN factor of this movie enterprise, Star Trek delivered in spades.

The bar will be set higher for the sequel and rightfully so. For the moment I am enjoying the ride this movie provides.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Todd,

I could have lived with seeing Kirk as a First Officer for a time. But I guess that because he's a genius and all, and because there really is only one Captain Kirk, I can let it slide this once. ;)

Lou,

Well said. It did deliver, and very well. And I too am enjoying the ride. But another film will be quite a challenge to do well, I think. I have no idea where this new crew will go, but it is fun to speculate on what awaits them, and what is next (character development-wise) for this crew.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys-

I've got the movie soundtrack in my car, and my favorite track is called Enterprising Young Men. What I like about it is it's rousing! And I really like that sequence the music is for, when Kirk and McCoy are leaving Starfleet Academy and fly past the Golden Gate Bridge and up to Starfleet Headquarters and do the laps around the new Enterprise. (Abrams little homage to TMP Spacedock fly-by) And we see Sulu take the ship out for Vulcan. The intro to Chekov is a nice homage to Koenig.

So as you guys have said so well, it's a great section that I enjoy re-visiting and shows how exciting this crew is.

I too have thought Kirk needed some time as a First Officer or the like, but they went this way. And I think they had to end the movie with the crew all set-up.

Todd, I have the whole series of Nitpicker books, they are fun!

About the movie's score, Giacchino or someone, Abrams(?), sure decided on some odd track titles! Nailin' The Kelvin, Nice to Meld You, Does it Still McFly, That New Car Smell and Nero Death Experience.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
I wish the movie could have spent a little more time on the academy years, but that probably would have required it's own film. Does Kirk ever suffer the wrath of Finnegan, or meet Gary Mitchell in this timeline? Or Carol Marcus for that matter? We may never know.

It's certain he never serves as a Lt. on the Farrugut in this reality. Attaining his own command this young and so soon could make it hard for some of his fellow captains to fully accept him.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Nelson, that track was also used for the opening titles.

I noticed this when watching the Bluray for the first time, but didn't think much of it until others brought it up. The film has been edited from its theatrical release.

There used to be a scene near the end with Kirk jumping to a ledge aboard the Narada. As he falls short he hangs over the edge and you could see the Romulan's disruptor near him on the floor.

Each time I saw it in the theater I had assumed this was where he got the gun from but the DVD makes it clear he took it from the Romulan's belt.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Silverwook,

The mention of the Farragut by Uhura was a nice touch for me in the film. But it would be fun to see Kirk meet Gary Mitchell, or have some fun dealings with Finnegan.

"About the movie's score, Giacchino or someone, Abrams(?), sure decided on some odd track titles! Nailin' The Kelvin, Nice to Meld You, Does it Still McFly, That New Car Smell and Nero Death Experience."

Nelson,

Have you taken a look at the titles for the music tracks by G. Fried for TOS? Some of them are quite funny as well. (I'm speaking of the 3-CD set included in the box that you and I discussed several months ago.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks