What's new

Spider-Man (2002)

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Title: Spider-Man

Tagline: Go for the ultimate spin.

Genre: Fantasy, Action

Director: Sam Raimi

Cast: Tobey Maguire, Willem Dafoe, Kirsten Dunst, James Franco, Rosemary Harris, J.K. Simmons, Cliff Robertson, Gerry Becker, Bill Nunn, Jack Betts, Stanley Anderson, Ron Perkins, Joe Manganiello, Michael Papajohn, K. K. Dodds, Ted Raimi, Bruce Campbell, Elizabeth Banks, John Paxton, Tim DeZarn, Taylor Gilbert, Randy Poffo, Larry Joshua, Timothy Patrick Quill, Lisa Danielle, Natalie T. Yeo, Erica D. Porter, Kristen Davidson, Jason Padgett, Shan Omar Huey, Sally Levi, Evan Arnold, Jill Sayre, Jim Ward, David Holcomb, Octavia Spencer, Brad Grunberg, Shane Habberstad, Deborah Wakeham, Rachael Bruce, Mackenzie Bryce, Julia Barrie, Macy Gray, Myk Watford, Bill Calvert, Sylva Kelegian, Kristen Marie Holly, Ajay Mehta, Peter Appel, Scott Spiegel, Matt Smith, Sara Ramirez, Lucy Lawless, Jayce Bartok, Maribel González, Amy Bouril, Joseph D'Onofrio, Jim Norton, Corey Mendell Parker, Ashley Edner, William Joseph Firth, Alex Black, Laura Gray, Joe Virzi, Michael Edward Thomas, Jeanie Fox, Robert Kerman, Stan Lee, Una Damon, Rick Avery, Peter Aylward, Jillian Clare, Chris Coppola, Jesse Heiman, Leroy Patterson, Benny Urquidez, Scott L. Schwartz, Jophery C. Brown, Brian J. Williams, Mark De Alessandro, Tia Dionne Hodge, Loren Janes, Andray Johnson, Martin Pfefferkorn, Tammi Sutton, Lindsay Thompson, Sean Valla, Philip Ng, Pete Macnamara, Joy Michelle Moore, Al Goto

Release: 2002-05-01

Runtime: 121

Plot: After being bitten by a genetically altered spider at Oscorp, nerdy but endearing high school student Peter Parker is endowed with amazing powers to become the superhero known as Spider-Man.

This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Spider-Man".

Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Spider-Man" should be posted http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67504[/url Frank

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Saw a preview screening of the film last night and loved it.

I will not go into details about the film so as to not ruin it for people...but, if you loved the X-Men film and thought that it could be a tad bit tighter and have more action, then this movie will do you up just fine.

A very solid "A" on this film.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Everything looked really good. There was one certain scene that did look a little to 'digital' for me and my liking, but over all the FX were great.

Also, meant to put this in my original post...there was a teaser trailer attached to this for the Hulk coming next year...

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I saw the HBO First Look last night for this film and my enthusiasm went through the fricken roof! I love everything Sam Raimi does, so this will no doubt be a big winner with me.

I'll find out Saturday night, I can't wait!

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
I can’t wait to go back and see it tonight. However, I have thought of two things in the movie that bother me.

1) The Suit – Where did it come from? Who made it? If Peter made it (I assume he did) then not only is he a science geek but a real good seamstress and designer. I really do like the design and the opening sequence explains some aspects of it. It’s just that if you had to design it where in the heck would you start?

2) Spider-Man’s banter/mockery – During his interaction with the bad guys he is always talking, insulting and being sarcastic. I know he just started being Spider-Man and he is still getting comfortable with it. He did do it some and had a few particularly amusing ones. One in the ring with Bonesaw and one outside of Jonah’s office. I do remember him being particularly harsh with Jonah in the comics.

Conroy Tesa

Stunt Coordinator
After reading Eberts review, I've come to the conclusion he is an idiot.

I like Crouching Tiger, but you can't compare the 2 in'flying' sequences. In Crouching Tiger, their tip toes would touch roofs (spelling?) and they would bounch/fly. It was a dreamlike movie.

Spiderman is super human, with the proportional speed and agility of a spider. Of course it looks fast.

I've read and seen in various places they wanted spider man to move like that in the movie. It is a COMIC BOOK.

Comparing to Batman (who has no 'special powers') is stupid.

Hello! Spiderman clings to walls! That kinda tells you that this character is over the top. Ebert should go have another 10 pizzas and retire.

Timothy Alexander

Second Unit
Spider-Man’s banter/mockery – During his interaction with the bad guys he is always talking, insulting and being sarcastic. I know he just started being Spider-Man and he is still getting comfortable with it. He did do it some and had a few particularly amusing ones. One in the ring with Bonesaw and one outside of Jonah’s office. I do remember him being particularly harsh with Jonah in the comics
Hey Frank, you should know that's all Spidey did when he fought the bad guys in the comics. That's why we all love him. :)

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
Going along with the flow on a few other review threads I have read... I would assume that Frank meant that there wasnt ENOUGH banter during the action scenes. This seems to be a common complaint. If I am wrong Frank, please correct me.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
F.Y.I The Hulk teaser trailer is online at Apple Trailers.

I would have been at the 11AM show here...but my son's and I are going at 5.

Can NOT wait!!!!!!!

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Going along with the flow on a few other review threads I have read... I would assume that Frank meant that there wasnt ENOUGH banter during the action scenes. This seems to be a common complaint. If I am wrong Frank, please correct me.
Anthony hit the nail on the head. I think I wasn't clear enough. I wanted MORE banter. It bothered me that there was some but it needed MORE.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I wanted MORE banter. It bothered me that there was some but it needed MORE.
I agree. But, it looked like Raimi was trying to pull back the reins a bit to "preserve" the image of Peter Parker too much. It's a curious choice, seeing how the change of identity is what made Spidey brash and cockey. But, I didn't see it as a hinderance.

Bruce

Conroy Tesa

Stunt Coordinator
JB
EggBert basically said that the characters(Spidey and GG) moved too fast for his little eyes and Spidey bounced around like a a rubber ball. Whereas in Crouching tiger they looked like they were really flying :rolleyes:
"Tobey Maguire is pitch-perfect as the socially retarded Peter Parker, but when he becomes Spider-Man, the film turns to action sequences that zip along like perfunctory cartoons. Not even during Spidey's first experimental outings do we feel that flesh and blood are contending with gravity. Spidey soars too quickly through the skies of Manhattan; he's as convincing as Mighty Mouse."
He said the action was boring and that the characters movement was unrealistic.Sorry but these are characters with 'super human' strength etc
"The appeal of the best sequences in the Superman and Batman movies is that they lend weight and importance to comic-book images. Within the ground rules set by each movie, they even have plausibility"
Wow superman going and spinning the earth backwards and turning back time was really grounded in reality.:rolleyes:
I think I did that in my 4th year engineering classes Quantum Mechanics 401
The Joker shooting down a jet with a handgun... oh yeah reality.
Give me a break!
Egghead has lost it. Didn't he have a stroke or a heart attck recently?
Addendum
I went through some of his past recent reviews to see whats what.
He gave spidey **1/2 the same as the Scopian king/Clockstoppers/Big Trouble. Ok I have not seen any of these but PLEASE TELL me he has lost it.
I have not seen anything but 4-5 star out of 5 for Spider-man. Raimi is awesome. There is NO WAY this could be on the same level as Scorpion King

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
As if anyone needs my opinion on this movie:
I really dug it! I need a few hours to get my thoughts in order before writing my review, but I wanted to cast a "YAY!" vote for this supremely entertaining movie.
Since you guys are already picking apart Ebert's review ;) - is it just me or did he completely misunderstand the ending? Re-read the final paragraph of Ebert's review and tell me if I'm nuts.
Unless I'm clueless (which is entirely possible), wasn't the point of Peter walking away from MJ at the end meant to represent his fear of her getting hurt? Not five seconds before the couple have their final exchange, Peter says in voice-over "Everyone I love ends up hurt". When Peter casually (and surprisingly) turns her away, it's because he's trying to protect her, not reject her!
I find it truly disturbing that Roger Ebert considers Tomb Raider a better film than Spider-Man. :confused:
I'll be back later on with my review and to join all you webheads for your inevitably enthusiastic responses to the movie!

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks