official specs for Y Tu Mama Tambien R rated 10/22

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by oscar_merkx, Aug 8, 2002.

1. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-...002/08_09.html
    Just in are the full specs for the art house smash Y Tu Mama Tambien, one of the biggest foreign box office hits of all time. Making its way to DVD on 10/22 in R-rated and Unrated versions, the R-rated edition features anamorphic widescreen and full screen versions, a Spanish 5.1 surround track, production notes and a trailer. The Unrated version features the anamorphic widescreen version of the movie only, plus an audio commentary with director Alfonso Cuaron and actors Gael Garcia Bernal and Diego Luna, deleted scenes, making-of featurette, the Cuaron short film "Me la Debes," and the trailer. Retail is $26.95 for either version.
    a must buy really
    [​IMG]

2. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor

3. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

I wouldn't say that just yet. I asked the Blockbuster guy which rating they could be carrying, and he told me their computer listed it as "YRV" or Youth Restriced Viewing, Blockbuster's self applied rating to unrated movies. It's still early, but it could work out OK.
    Blockbuster now carries unrated American Pie 2, and soon they'll have unrated Van Wilder and Sweetest Thing. Who knows, maybe they're coming around (they certainly have showed improvement in other areas, most stores carry exclusively OAR when there are dual releases).
    Here's hoping for the best as I missed that movie in theaters.[​IMG]

4. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Interesting. I haven't been in BB for a long while, so I wasn't aware they were loosening up on this issue.

It makes me wonder why MGM is even bothering with an R-rated version. The theatrical release was unrated (at least in the Houston venues). Did anybody see the R-rated version in theaters?

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Just wanted to chime in and say that it's one of the best films that I saw in 2002. I look forward to buying the non-BB verison on DVD soon.

6. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

7. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

It'll never happen, but in the case of dual versions such as this, I wish studios would put a sticker on the front something like "unrated version also available" or "This R-rated version has been edited for controversial content and is not approved by the filmmakers. Unrated version also available." A friend of mine purchased the R-rated SE of Basic Instinct simply because he wasn't aware of the unrated cut(but I guess he should've been).

8. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Good job MGM!!! I figured we'd just get a bare bones package. Thanks for going the extra mile.

9. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Wait a minute- so Blockbastard is carrying 'Unrated' films, but they still won't carry NC-17?

10. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

11. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Well, it was Ted who pointed me out to this film, and it was the biggest unheralded gem for me...and a damn fine film in its own right.

Nice to see that it'll come replete with some lavish specs. Bestbuy.com just posted this title on its site as a preorder for $22.99. Much like many of their new titles, by the time this dvd hits release date, the price should drop further. Plus, with the $10 digital coupon that so many on this forum took advantage of from the FOTR preorders, it's a can't-miss buy.

12. James David Walley

James David Walley Stunt Coordinator

Hollywood Video, at least where I live, is only carrying the R-rated version. [​IMG] And, while that is noted on the cover of the case, the Hollywood sticker was covering it up, so I didn't find out about it until I started playing the disc.
    Now, here's the weird part. The censored version ran 154 minutes, and it is so noted on the box. I checked the box for the unrated version a couple of days later, and found its running time was listed as 145 minutes.
    In other words, the censored version is 9 minutes longer than the "uncut" version. [​IMG]
    Has anyone seen both versions, so they can report what got taken away and, more to the point, what got added to the censored release?

13. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

The unrated version is 1 hour 45 minutes, not 145 as you stated. According to the imdb, the R-rated cut is 5 minutes shorter than the unrated one.

I doubt the R-rated cut is longer, but it is possible (Re-Animator)

14. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Does anyone know if the commentary will have subtitles?

My Spanish is way too poor to get much out of it otherwise.