What's new

***Official Soul Caliber II Discussion Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Chris Rock (:D): I sit about 16' away from the screen (haven't measured the distance). I have 1/2 my basement set up for pure HT and gaming goodness. I haven't tried it 480p on my import, but it's worth a shot.

IGN's review of SC2 isn't worth the trouble, because it's basically the same review for all three consoles. Read their Head-to-Head if you've got Insider access. I haven't checked Gamespot yet.

Hooray! The game did ship yesterday!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I liked SCII on the dreamcast, but I tried the Xbox version and it's not really that much of an Upgrade. It's Faster, a bit better in the texture department but not enough for me to buy. Now if it were live enabled

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
I liked SCII on the dreamcast
That was SC1, not 2.

Two adds a bunch more characters and adds weapons much like what was in Soul Edge. This was the single biggest thing I didn't like about SC vs SE... I'm not sure if you can break em anymore but various weapon properties makes for a good way to change up the action. Plus there seem to be weak weapons for everyone... good for handicapping yourself against other people.

Dungeons look to be the only blah thing, but hey fighting is fighting and the more time it takes to unlock the single player goodies I'm all for it. You get everything in the Arcade from the get go. Makes it more fun for those of us who don't spend 100% of our time vs live humans.

Anyone else get the limited edition guide with soundtrack? So cheesy that it's "hard cover" is just a slipjacket.. but the OST is cool :) Also it seems Gamestop is giving out art books to preorders, pretty neat... so obvious that the female art is SO hormonally driven though, it's like Lara Croft only worse!

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast was the best fighting game that I've ever played. The only other one that I've owned since is DOA3 for X Box and while that is better looking it's a button masher. I'll absolutely be picking up Soul Calibur II for X Box :emoji_thumbsup:

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
There is a horrifically bad dub setting or you can go for well acted Japanese
Isn't this ALWAYS the case :) Even if there's no translations then play english for a while.. till your sick of it then switch to Japanese.

But since it's a fighting game... not everyone will care about the voice quality.

Carl,

DOA3 is actually less button mashing friendly then Soul Calibur IMO :) it's got it's flaws, but there's plenty of depth in DOA too.

Both are good games, I play DOA3 or VF4 when I want hand to hand combat and SC when I want to beat people up with sticks and swords :D

Brian

Jamie Doucette

Stunt Coordinator
Chris Rock, or any one else that has a IGN sub (or anyone else that knows this answer), what were the big differences between the PS2 and the GameCube versions?

As I have both systems, I am torn on which version to get. I think the deciding factor will come down to graphics alone. Has anyone done a good comparison between these two versions? (please don't let the Link vs Heihachi biases cloud your jugment) :)

I would go rent both versions to see for myself but both my favorite places to rent wont have "rental" copies until sometime next week.

Cheers

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
From what the Head to Head review states, the PS2 has a bit of an advantage in audio. The Gamecube has an advantage in graphical appearance, as well as the ability to do progressive scan. Also it sounds like the PS2 has some frame rate issues. The Gamecube version looks to have a faster loading time than the PS2.

From what I saw of the Gamecube demo version, the control was very good and the graphics looked very nice. That's the one I'm picking up later this week.

Glen

Eric Alderson

Stunt Coordinator
Got the GC version last night. I am so happy that they let you choose the Japanese voices with english subtitles in the home version. The graphics are a little cleaner than the PS2 version and the loadtimes are quicker too.

Richard Paul

Stunt Coordinator
Glen, I think the Xbox version has to be considered the winner in audio quality for the fact that it supports 5.1 channel Dolby Digital.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Well a friend and I played it for about 6-7 hours last night... the DD5.1 is used mostly for background effects.

When you beat Weapon Master mode all of the missions will reset... don't do this until your ready, the missions get A LOT harder. So far I'm haveing a blast, and it takes quite a while to unlock everthing in this game... unless your so good you can beat insane AI players with all sorts of Handicaps on your first try :)

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
Richard,

He was asking about the differences between the PS2 and Gamecube versions. That's why I didn't mention the Xbox version. :)

Glen

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
All the reviews seem to favour the graphics of the GC version over the PS2.

Anyway, I have my copy in my hands. My first objective will be to unlock all of the extra characters tonight.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Unlocking the extra characters is easy, can do it in about 2 hours. Just need to get to mission 6... nothing too hard on the way to there.

Let us know what you think of it Neil. And are you using the GC controller for it? Or something else.. I'm contimplating going and buying the $60 pelican one at Gamestop, it's build quality isn't stellar but it uses good parts from the reviews I've read.

Brian

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Let me just type that even though when this thread was posted and the game wasn't on shelves, there are many pre release discussions/anticipation/praise threads. So "it isn't out, nothing to talk about" is no excuse.

My 2¢

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone here order from Gamestop for the freebies? Mine came with the art book, but not the free CD that was advertised. :thumbsdown:

-Dave

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
How in the world can the PS2 have the advantage in ANYTHING over the Xbox or GC? The Xbox's audio KICKS ASS. I have the Xbox retail and PS2 demo disc. The PS2 video and audio are horribly PATHETIC. I haven't tried the GC version yet, but it supports progressive scan which HAS to be an advantage in video over the PS2.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks