What's new

Signs (2002) (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I thought that Unbreakable was an excellent movie, better than The Sixth Sense.
I agree as well. Far better was Unbreakable. I will be seeing Sign's and in a theater no less. Can't wait for the DVD on this one.
Peace Out~:D

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'll give this one a chance as well. When I first saw Unbreakable I wasn't sure how I felt about it. But now I find myself watching and thinking about Unbreakable more than The Sixth Sense.

M. Night hasn't done wrong by me yet, so here's hoping the third time is the charm!

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
I am glad the twist ending thing is out of the way. These kind of expectations can be very distracting and detrimental to the enjoyement of the movie.
Agreed. It's a dangerous tactic for a writer to rely on, particularly these days when word of twist endings spreads like wildfire.

Even if you're not told what the twist is, your mind will begin (consciously or unconsciously) working to figure out what it is in advance, distracting you from the matter at hand - that is, enjoying the narrative. I figured out the Sixth Sense twist before it was revealed, not because I'm prescient or uniquely observant, but because every damn review trumpeted the fact that there was this "great twist" at the end. If I had had no idea it was coming, undoubtedly it would have had a greater impact.

Hinging a film's climax on a twist just makes a movie too vulnerable to spoilers in this day and age, methinks.

--Jefferson Morris

MikeRS

Screenwriter
I'm getting the vibe that this film delivers on the SCARE FACTOR. Count me in as extremely psyched for this flick.

BTW, I also prefer UNBREAKABLE to THE SIXTH SENSE.

ErichH

Screenwriter
Guess we all hope M. Night follows up with acts 2&3 of Unbreakable.
THAT would get things going!

Eric

derek

Second Unit
I'm looking forward to it. Shyamalan's movies always have the best effects...in his actors. :)

Damian James

Stunt Coordinator
I'll buck the trend a bit and say I enjoyed Sixth Sense quite a bit more than Unbreakable. The ending to Unbreakable just seemed to be too quick, like they ran out of time and decided to cut the story off. Too cheap a way out for a climax.

I enjoy MKS' work overall, so I'll probably hit the theater for this one. I am a big fan of Mel Gibson as well, so it should be worth the money.

David Oliver

Second Unit
Just to balance the tally in this thread a bit, I liked Sixth Sense better than Unbreakable :D I'm looking forward to Signs.

Chuck Frady

Second Unit
I watched this movie this weekend and I was let down quite a bit from the premis that the trailers instill on you.

This movie, while it has it's moments, was boring and left me wanting more than what it delivers.
the sci fi portion of the movie was soo small and insignificant, you could have completely replaced the alien(s) with stranger who was messing around in the neighborhood, and it would have been the same story.

And why is it that we are forced to see naked aliens?
why wouldn't they have clothes or suits of some sort?
and where were the weaponry?

An alien from an advanced space faring civilization was taken down by a base ball bat and a glass of water..come on..

This movie rates a 2 out of 5.

And we have seen this sort of role from Mel Gibson before.
Ransom. The same style of acting, similar characters who get tough for the sake of his family.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
Interesting that Gibson played this role. I wonder how he flet about it, given that he is in fact a staunch, practicing, chruch-going Catholic with very outspoken views on abortion, etc. I'm looking forward to seeing this one.

Chuck Frady

Second Unit
In fact, Gibson plays a catholic priest, who disavows his faith in god when his wife is killed. Thus, everyone keeps calling him father, but he tells them that he "Is not a father anymore"

He also throughout the movie flashes back to the accident involving his wife, and he is wearing his priest clothes.

at the end of the movie, after the aliens leave, and his son is fine, Gibson's character has put his collar back on and resumes his role as the town's Father

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Slight correction. He can't be a Catholic priest AND be married with kids. I don't think they say what his denomination is in the film, but I guess he's supposed to be a "Reverend" or something.

Chuck Frady

Second Unit
your right about the Catholic aspect. I forgot about that. Not being religious, I couldn't tell you the difference from a Catholic Priest to a Johovah's Witness on a street corner handing out copies of The Watchtower.:b

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
seems like a movie that's just OK should only get a 3 on that scale.
I mentioned the same thing earlier to Ron.
Perhaps you missed Ron's subsequent post in this thread where he downgraded his rating from 4 to a 3.
Scott
Will you be downgrading it too?;)

Felipe S

Stunt Coordinator
I just really like this director. The look and feel of the movies (both Sixth Sense and Unbreakable)is really interesting. I've been looking forward to seeing Signs ever since I saw the teaser, and then when i saw the trailer even more so.

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Count me as very anxious to see Signs.
As far as the Sixth Sense/Unbreakable debate goes, if Unbreakable had been the first movie, I would have enjoyed it a WHOLE lot more. SS was super - and I was hoping Unbreakable would have been, also. I was one of the many who had heard about the new M. Night movie w/another twisted ending. Therefore, I caught myself looking for clues the very first time I saw it. Not too enjoyable.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
The success of and chances that M. Night took with Sixth Sense and Unbreakable make Signs a must see for me. Although I'm not the big admirer of Mel Gibson, I believe it's M. Night's storytelling that takes prominence in any of his films.

Jon D

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry guys, I have to throw a wrench in the proceedings. I found TSS to be boring and dull, aside from Haley Joel Osment's wonderful performance.

Regarding "Signs". If the trailers accurately reflect the movie, it just seems like another 'slimy things jump out at you and scream really friggin loud' movie, which has been done to death. Personally, I'm tired of movies trying to scare me with sudden, ear shattering sound effects. Maybe I'm wrong (and for MKS's sake, I hope so), but "Signs" looks like just another alien thriller.

Oh, useless factoid: MKS has directed five movies so far, his first two were virtually invisible on the cinema radar.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
No problem Jon! I'll pull the wrench out for you! :D
TSS & Unbreakable are both great films! Both suffering from the inevitable backlash when something becames a phenomenom.
TSS was a lightning in the bottle event and the twist ending has become a curse for MKS. Just because it's in one film doesn't mean it's going to be in every film.
**********NB - The following is my opinion only and does not reflect the whole universe.********************************
If anything the problem lies with the movie public. We are enforcing our perceptions on a director because of one film that became a water cooler conversation piece for one summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks