What's new

*** Official SIDEWAYS Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Saw this film three times. The critics all loved it and it won many awards.
The brief discussion thread at HTF lasted 3 weeks.
When is Mighty Ducks 2 going to have a Special Edition?

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
It's not the same as Eternal Sunshine. But certainly, it's in the same "league".

I just don't know how to call one better than the other.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I guess "not in the same league" was overstating things on my part, since I did think this movie was very good. But I definitely prefer Eternal Sunshine.

A small detail that I'm pretty sure I noticed correctly: when Miles is looking at some family pictures in his mother's house, one of them appears to be a photo of the younger Paul Giamatti with his late father, the former baseball commissioner Bart Giamatti.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I think we'll finally get some discussion going on this very special film now that more people are getting a chance to see it.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter

My vote for the most lovingly filmed close-up of the year. I also found the editing during the first date of four characters leading up to Miles' drinking and dialing to be absolutely breathtaking.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Sideways" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Sideways" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Haggai

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, it was great, straightforward, not flashy, but very effective.

"Did you drink and dial?" :laugh:

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
Wonderful film. The performances were all great, but Giamatti's in particular was excellent. I loved how the movie parallels Virginia Madsen's speech about the life of wine, about how at first the grapes need tender care, how the wine tastes different each day (different events each day on the trip), and finally peaks after which it starts its decline. The characters are multidimensional and could have easily veered into one-dimensional caricatures, particularly Sandra Oh's character, but the characters are fully rounded. I wish we got to see more of Maya, though.

JohnAP

Second Unit
I haven't gotten to see this yet, but at the theater I work at, it has been by far the most popular movie since we got it a week ago. Hopefully, I can get to see it this week.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I haven't seen "Sideways" yet, but I was rewatching "About Schmidt" over the holiday in preparation for seeing this. At some point during the film, Schmidt drives past a theater and on the Marquis, a movie named "Sideways" is playing. An obvious plug for the next movie that Payne was working on.:D

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Sideways is telling precisely the same story as Garden State, therefore I find it quite pleasing that I ranked both films at about the same. Garden State has more heart and Sideways is simply better told (Payne has some phenomenal chops), I don't think it's very surprising that so many of my college peers fell deeply in love with Garden State or that (alternately) the critics have fallen in love with Sideways. The disaffected, disassociated individual (especially if they're misunderstood and searching for success/acceptance without putting any effort into that search) seems to resonate fairly strongly, but doesn't hold much attraction for me.

Then again, in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind can take very similar themes and create, for me, a masterpiece. Go figure, I think this film has no chance at major awards (outside writing/supporting actress) from the Academy, but who knows, does anyone think this is a serious contender for picture or director?

Adam

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Well, if you're talking nominations, I really think it will do quite well. Picture, Director, Adapted Screenplay, Actor (Giamatti) and Supporting Actress (Madsen) seem certain. Haden Church has a good shot at a Supporting Actor nod as well. As far as winning goes, well, this is not the kind of film that usually wins the big ones, so I think your assessment is probably about right.

FWIW, Sideways now sits on top of my Top Ten of 2004, having edged out Eternal Sunshine.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H

I think it is a serious pic contender. The indy pick of the year, much like last year's Lost in Translation. I'd love to see Eternal Sunshine take that spot, but it seems to have lost any potential momentum by releasing in the spring.

Edit: I'm also talking about noms, not wins. Though, Madsen could pull it off.

Director is a possibility, but Payne is not well loved.

I'm inclined to think Actor and Supporting Actress are close to locks, and Supporting Actor is a strong possibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks