What's new

Serenity (2005) (2 Viewers)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Mary_P said:
It's also a good way to guarantee that they'll never be able to launch another viral marketing campaign. Who would want to take the risk of working for free to help promote something if you know you might be sued later for your efforts?
Considering that the Serenity marketing ideas (many due to Joss himself) were among the very worst ideas ever seen for any film's campaign, much less a low-budget space adventure, I think that's good news for Universal.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
The only part of the marketing that I'm aware that Joss had any involvement in was the creation of the River Tam "viral" clips, in which the character of River Tam was interrogated. It was an under-the-radar (way under the radar) treat for fans to find. The interrogator was Joss Whedon himself.
Beyond that, he recorded an introduction that played before the advance screenings of the film.
But he wasn't involved in any marketing decisions that I am aware of. If he had been perhaps the poster would not have sucked so bad, and perhaps the film's release date would not have been delayed and delayed. Perhaps the official website would not have been so terrible, if Whedon had been allowed any input.
"the very worst ideas ever seen for any film's campaign" really needs some explanation. Sounds like pure BS.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
This past summer I bought Firefly myself having never seen it. Thought it was a great series and it enhanced my already established love for Serenity. :)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I was talking to a friend of mine before Christmas, and she mentioned a mutual friend had mentioned watching "some science fiction western show". So I loaned her Firefly and Serenity. She loved it so much, she now has her own copy of both.

Just thought I'd share that, since the thread was already open.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Makes me happy to hear people are still discovering it.
If you find you like the writing and characters, bookmark Joss Whedon's site Whedonesque.com to keep tabs on whatever else he and his fine crew are up to. Very nice people there.

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator
Just picked up the HDDVD of Serenity. Having never followed the TV Series, and never seeing the movie, I bought it on a whim because I did not want to re-buy what i already have on DVD. I was determined to pick something up that I have never seen, and did not know anything about other than it had quite a cult following.

My impressions:

I absolutely loved it !! One of the better sci-fi action comedies I have ever seen. I totally got into the characters, and I connected to the crew from the start....the beautiful shot of the ship in the near beginning and then seeing a piece of the ship fly off with Mal asking, "what was that ?"...Oh man I was hooked.

After the movie I went right to my Netflix account and rented the season. I believe that you don't need the series to enjoy the movie, but it really does enlighten and "fill in" the inside type stuff.

How did I miss this show ???? I watched every episode over about three days and truly did not want to see the show come to an end. I have really become quite a fan in a short amount of time. I will say that I like better the direction they took with Mal. In the first couple episodes, he was so totally serious (remember I went from seeing the movie to the series), and then developed into more of a serious at times, but also hilarious character as the show went along.

I just wanted to share my thoughts even though I am about three years too late to the party. I am really sad this is no longer around dammit....even the opening song is great !!

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
It is great Matt. Glad you got the HD DVD version as it looks and sounds fabulous. I was late to the Serenity love fest myself....So far, I haven't grown tired of watching it. :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Matt Heebner said:
How did I miss this show ????
Because like the rest of America, you probably heard a promo that said, "from the creators of Buffy the Vampire Slayer," snickered a little, and put it out of your mind. ;)
I was actually going to pop in "Serenity" last night, but decided to start watching "Firefly" again instead. Still good stuff on the third time thru. :emoji_thumbsup:

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Malcolm R said:
," snickered a little, and put it out of your mind. ;)
I've gone from Firefly to Serenity to Buffy...and I know Angel will be next.
Firefly is still my favorite of Joss' creations.

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator
The more I think back on it, I don't really remember a whole lot of promo's for the TV show. I remember hearing more in the forums about it, but I never bothered to check into it.....sad really because it was so damn enjoyable. I really believe that had I heard a little more about it I would have checked it out.

When Serenity came out, I remember thinking that it was a movie aimed at the fans of the TV show, I still didn't know anything about it = not real interested. Now...I could kick myself for not checking into it.

Do you realize just how people like me there are out there ??? That didnt give the show a second thought for whatever reason but that would have totally loved this show ??

--it kills me now knowing this.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Matt Heebner said:
Do you realize just how people like me there are out there ??? That didnt give the show a second thought for whatever reason but that would have totally loved this show ??
--it kills me now knowing this.
Trust me, it kills the fans more. Had more people given it a chance when it premiered, it might still be on the air today.
Meanwhile, "According to Jim" is in, what, its sixth season? ;)

Michael:M

Supporting Actor
Malcolm R said:
Meanwhile, "According to Jim" is in, what, its sixth season? ;)
Exactly. How many seasons did "Reba" go?
Sitcoms are easy and relatively cheap to produce ("Friends" cast salary negotiations not withstanding). Even with smaller audiences, networks and studios can make a profit from them, especially if they make enough to go into syndication. A show like Firefly was extremely expensive and difficult to produce, and most network suits aren't going to "get it."
Such an irony that Firefly started on Fox, the network that gave X-Files a few seasons to find its audience. Firefly was consistently better in 14 episodes than X-Files was in the first two seasons (and make no mistake, I love X-Files) but given zero support by the network.

jusstyjonesy

Auditioning
Real Name
Caleb
I personally went from Serenity to Firefly, and it is one of my favorite movies and shows, but it may never have been considering the trailer to the movie.

What a horrible trailer. All you had to say was from the creator of Buffy . . . gag I hated that show, and the continuous clips of little River kicking butt all over the place just looks contrived and ridiculous out of context.

These days Networks can't be trusted with anything. The fabulous show Kings will likely never make it past the first season. It was already delayed till summer.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Wow, a two year jump in a thread. Interesting, because I just started watching Firefly again on DVD, and and am on the verge of purchasing the set on BluRay, along with Serenity (which has a very high rewatch value in my house.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks