*** Official SERENITY Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Patrick Sun, Sep 27, 2005.

1. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

Much better than I expected. I didn't expect it to get so intense. They did quite well with the budget they had. They got the most bang for their buck for sure.
    Though I didn't see the deaths coming, I guess it makes sense. I doubt that every cast member was waiting around for the phone to ring, and have other plans. Just a guess. It sure added to the tension of the last few minutes of the movie without question.
    Aside for the usual head-scratching or eye-rolling moments that every movie of this type has, I thought it held together and would recommend it to all. [​IMG]
    I will say that the look of the film leaves me wondering how it will look on DVD. I just think it may be a challenge to make a sparkling transfer of it. Just an observation.

2. Kraig Lang

Kraig Lang Stunt Coordinator

Just saw it.....LOVED IT!!!!!

I predict a "Word of Mouth" sleeper hit on our hands.

And I will say that this is the first time watching any movie where I was worried about each crew member towards the end. Joss accomplished what he set out to accomplish with Wash's death for me. I was tense everytime another member was at risk. I loved it!

3. nickGreenwood

nickGreenwood Second Unit

I'm right there with you Kraig, I think it will be one of those word of mouth movies also. I just got back from seeing it, I can't put it into any more words at the moment other than it was amazing, inspiring and moving. The deaths were great, the battle sequences were great, the hand to hand stuff was intense, I had forgotten how well Joss can create a hand to hand fight, I know that there are chographers and such that really mold it, but it's Joss's written word that gets translated.

His writing has pretty much always been top notch, even on non-sensical yet great episodes like the season finale of Buffy in Season 4, with the cheese guy and such. Nearly everyone in the theater laughed in all the right parts, we all cheered in the end. Laughed at the end when a part of the ship comes flying off. "The Ballad of Serenity" was in the movie... but stay through the entire credit sequence and you will here a solo acoustic rendition, that's not really recognizable unless you know the song or are a somewhat of a musician. My friends who love the show, didn't get that it was the song until I told them.

Nathan Fillion should be given all kinds of awards for handleing everything the way he did, he was the ultimate hero, yet at the same time the anti-hero. He was likeable and yet you couldn't help but get pissed off at Mal in certain times. Jayne was Jayne, Adam Baldwin always delivers, he was the consumate "public relations" guy all over again. Zoe and Wash, while they did't have a lot too do, they served their purpose, as the voices of reason and in Zoe's case at the end, nearly the reason they were still alive, along with River.

At one point during one of Wash's few lines, someone in the theater so nicely and bluntly stated "I really like him (Wash)" it's so true. His death was a death that only Joss could get away with, I've never been that emotional during a death scene in a movie the way that I was during Wash and Book's death scene's and the funeral at the end.

Lastly, just a quick praise on Joss's direction, it was a good thing that he got all his practice on Firefly, Angel and Buffy, it showed here that he was basically an old pro, the opening steady cam scene with the run down on each character. The shots outside of Serenity flying, while he didn't probably film them, I'm sure he oversaw how they looked and the camera movements worked in the computer.

Closing thoughts. An awesome film, better than I had expected and I expected a lot, especially from Joss. He is my hero now, not that he wasn't before, but he's gained the actual title now. I can't wait to see it again.

4. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

Sucks they killed Wash. Book I missed as well, but he was more disposable in the movie. Shame we'll never get his back story though.

Rather than heart string moments though, they were deaths of contract necessity. If memory serves correctly, Ron Glass and Alan Tudyk were the last two actors signed for Serenity. In fact when it was announced their names weren't even attached. I think they wanted to be done with the series so Whedon obliged by killing them off. Shame, both good characters. Wash was great fun and Book quite intriguing.

Movie itself I'm split on. It was a kick ass movie. The characters mostly felt spot on, although there were parts that felt wrong. Mal was a bit too much of a jerk at the beginning, as well as contradicting his previous statement on Simon and River as part of his crew. And when did Simon rescue River himself? If I remember Serenity the pilot correctly, he picked River up in her box on Persephone. His being more of a hard ass I can forgive, since it's been six months.

My biggest gripe though was that it didn't feel like Firefly. It felt like the characters were transported into a different series. I can't describe it, but the Western feel, the "outlaws on the edge of space" was replaced by a more active role in the middle of things, I dunno. Very very good movie, but it just had a very different tone than Firefly. It also seemed to have too many action sequences. Action in Firefly was done well, but it was done in very very careful moderation. This had tons of it and was surprisingly violent too. And can someone explain to me why Mal continued to shoot around the Operative during the final confrontation? It was obvious that if Mal spared his life he was gonna come after him. Kill him and be done with it.

It definitely did a great job of avoiding the 2 hour TV episode syndrome that's plagued Star Trek and other big screen adaptations, but the problem is the tone and style of Firefly was well suited to 45 minute episodes. Sure there was continuity and things that tracked from one episode to the next, but the small screen scale just fit the material better than the big. The changes for the big screen were necessary, but something was definitely lost in the translation.

I think I'm gonna need to see this one again before I can make a final judgment. Maybe next weekend to help the appearance of box office legs.

Oh, and River going apeshit and slaughtering Reavers left and right was freaking awesome.

5. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

oh, I missed it the first time, but a cussword DOES make it into the flick. Mal refers to River as "Going monkeyshit" after the bar-fight.

And I remembered the effects being shaky in some spots, but if I had to guess, I'd say over half the effects budget went to the space battle outside of Miranda. On second viewing--that major dustup pretty EASILY beats the opening space battle in Revenge of the Sith.

on a budget of 40 million, no less.

Chris' complaint about the western feel being gone was echoed by a friend of mine who saw it for the first time today. I didn't really notice at first, but that's because I always thought it was a little OVERDONE during the series. The fact they still spoke in that western style and wore western-styled clothing was western enough for me, I guess. But it was fairly toned down.

6. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Serenity" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
    All HTF member film reviews of "Serenity" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.
    Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
    Crawdaddy

7. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Mal says "You always fog things up."

9. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    Friday estimate has the movie pulling in 3.9 million for 2nd place.
    Showbiz Data

10. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

Saw "Serenity" last night during a midnight showing. The deaths of Book and Wash really hit hard because of the episode of "Firefly" that was shown earlier (War Stories) in the evening on SCI FI.

Here is hoping for a long and happy film franchise.

11. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

My nitpick was that, according to the series, 6 months pass between Our Mrs. Reynolds and Trash. The movie is supposed to be 8 months after they pick up River and Simon... I suppose you could say that this timeline works...

pick up simon/river and spend less than a month on board before our mrs. reynolds. Six months pass in the timeline before Trash takes place, then another week or two in storytelling wraps up the series. 2 Month gap between Objects In Space and the movie (although Whedon said originally it picked up 6 months after the last episodes, but you could probably ignore that since it's not spoken at all during the film.)

Serenity (1 of 2)

Serenity (2 of 2)

The Train Job

Bushwacked

Shindig

Safe

Our Mrs. Reynolds

Jaynestown

Out of Gas

Ariel

War Stories

Heart of Gold

Trash

The Message

Objects In Space

12. DavidPla

DavidPla Cinematographer

13. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

My guess is that they were trying to a, weaponize the process that created the Reavers and b, use River as a weapon against the Reavers. It's not like they could exactly stand up to her in a fight even en masse.

And my gripe wasn't just with the Western stuff being gone, although that was part of it. More though it just felt like the style, tone, and feel of the show got lost. To put another way, I can guarantee you this isn't what the next two hours of Firefly would have been. I do believe this was the direction Joxx eventually wanted to take things, but I don't think this is the way he would have done it. The overboard action sequences (kick ass action, but too much), the fact that a season's worth of plot was crammed into two hours, and stuff like that just made it feel very different than the show. That's to be expected, it's for a different audience in a different format with different expectations, but I still missed the slower, more expansive feel of the show.

As a movie adaptation it was first rate, and definitely avoided feeling like a long TV episode, but I still feel that something got lost in the translation. Regardless of that though, I definitely liked the movie and will be back for sure next weekend to help keep the legs up.

14. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway

15. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    I was happily surprised by this one. That is one solid piece of genre filmmaking! I had a blast and enjoyed just about every minute.

And, I thought a LOT of western style/heart remained, even if many of the trappings were missing. The entire third act played like a Rio Bravo siege.

Great, great stuff!

16. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

74 at Metacritic and 80% at Rotten Tomatoes. I'm shocked, but maybe I shouldn't be.

17. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    This film was fantastic! I really hope word of mouth and DVD sales can help it to a respectable gross, as I really, really, really want to see another film with these characters.
    One of my favorite lines:
    Simon: River, remember that if there's any fighting, you drop to the ground or run away...*whispering* It's OK to leave them for dead. [​IMG]
    This was what I call a "gamut" film. It runs the gamut of emotions from laughter to tears, from drama to excitement. I haven't enjoyed a film this much since "Spider-Man 2" (which I also consider a "gamut" film).
    That Friday gross is really disappointing, as I don't think anyone needs to be a fan of "Firefly," or even know of the series, to enjoy this film immensely. But I'm afraid too many potential moviegoers are thinking "tv movie" about Serenity. It's a shame, as this is better than every other blockbuster that they filled the seats for this past summer.

18. Will_B

Will_B Producer

2nd place is hardly dissapointing! Did anyone really think that a science fiction movie would be first place? There are many people who won't even consider going to such kinds of films. In one weekend, the film essentially paid for itself and anything beyond this is bonus. Though admittedly with Hollywood accounting that means nothing.

That said, I wouldn't mind if the next Firefly project was a tv movie. I'd love a tv mini, actually - an arc long enough for more character moments. Maybe 6 hours? 8? Mmm...

19. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

>>As the film came to a close, all I wanted was more...more Serenity, more Firefly, more time spent with this special crew on board the spunky ship that could.

20. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

Dear god..... what a film, a couple of rough spots... Zoe's talking to Mal about the hanger on he shot, seemed a little forced to me.

If Joss comes up here for a convention.. he and I will have a talking too... keeps killing characters I have grown emotionally attached to.

*SPOILER WARNING FOR OTHER JOSS SHOWS*

Buffy (2x)

Angel

Spike

Tara - oh god, Tara!

Anya

Doyle

Joyce

Fred - god... Fred

Wesley - one of his best written

Now Book and Wash

GRRR