What's new

*** Official SECRETARIAT Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Most people who grew up in the 70s know of Secretariat's accomplishments in

horse racing, but the film does a good job of presenting the stakes at risk

for Penny Chenery and her family in committing to raising and racing

Secretariat.

The story is told in a nod to filmmaking of that era, not too showy, but

serviceable. Diane Lane is fine as Penny, though some of the family

subplots don't quite gel with the primary storyline, that of Secretariat's

run for the Triple Crown. The audience I saw it film with were very into

the horse racing scenes, lots of applause during the film at those times

(which always struck me as odd, but hey, the audience was into the film). I

did wish the colt that was cast as Secretariat was a little larger in size.

If you're interested in the legend of Secretariat, definitely worth a

matinee viewing.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I saw it yesterday. The racing scenes are very well-done and realistic. The filmmakers did take some liberties with the back story, giving the impression that Secretariat was the only great horse owned by Meadow Stable at the time (Riva Ridge won both the Kentucky Derby and the Belmont Stakes in 1972, but he doesn't even get a mention in the film). John Malkovich gives an entertaining performance as trainer Lucien Laurin.

I was at the Belmont Stakes in 1973 and still have my uncashed $2 win ticket.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Secretariat". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an
[COLOR= #44708c]Official Discussion Thread[/COLOR].

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I viewed this film on Saturday and like Richard stated there were some distinct liberties taken with the actual back story. However, with that said, I thought the racing scenes were well done especially the Belmont Stakes race. Furthermore, I thought the performances by Lane, Malkovich, Martindale and Thorwarth as Ron Turcotte were very good. I'll give the film a solid "B" as a tribute to probably the greatest horse in racing history.

Crawdaddy

Claire Panke

Second Unit
I'm just happy to have an enjoyable movie about horse racing. Secretariat's win in the Belmont is still the most amazing thing I've ever seen in TB racing, and I feel very lucky to have witnessed him run in person. The racing shots in this film are great, and worth the price of admission alone.

I've also met Penny Chenery Tweedy several times, and she is a great lady. Having been through the estate thing myself recently (albeit on a much smaller scale and with no Sevreatriat in the balance), I can only imagine the pressure Penney felt from her family and partners. Yet she was always gracious. hse's done much for the sport since, always rather quietly and behind the scenes,

Highly enjoyable film with a super cast, even with (as mentioned) the plot tweaks that excised Riva Ridge (whom Penny actually favored over Secretariat.) I highly recommend Bill Nack's book, on which this movie is based.

When they announced the movie, I remember wondering how the heck they were going to get the horses to portray Secretariat - IRL he was big and heavily muscled, and had the most enormous ground cogvering strides imaginable. The irony is he may have even been better on turf. What an amazing 4 YO racer he might have been if he had not had to be hustled to the the breeding shed so early to save the farm.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks