What's new

Official Samsung BD-P1000 Blu-Ray player thread (1 Viewer)

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
I successfully downloaded the 10 MB file in about 6 minutes but I got error message on the instructions that the pdf document was in Korean and that my PC needed update to view. I called Samsung customer service call center and the representative said that they would notify samsung.com of the problem.

I will wait for instructions before I burn the update file to CD ROM. The update and instructions are two different files.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
I was able to open the PDF after downloading the Korean fonts here are the contents (I cleaned up the grammatical errors LOL):

Software Update Procedure for BD-P1000

INTRODUCTION:

This manual describes the S/W update procedure for BD-P1000. Please follow the below procedure. If you have any problems during S/W updating, please contact the Samsung Service Call Center.

HOW TO MAKE AN UPDATE CD

Burn the downloaded file onto a blank CD-R or CD-RW disc, following the below procedures:

1) Download the software update file from the Samsung internet site
2) If the update file is compressed (*.zip/rar), the file should be uncompressed before burning.
3) You must burn the update file on a blank CD-R/W disc by using the "Burn image" option. (Ref. "Recorder" menu>"Burn Image" if you're using Nero Burning ROM)
4) Burn the image file of the software update file (*.iso)

NOTICE:

> Recommended CD burning program
- Nero Burning ROM
> Burning options (if using Nero)
- "Recorder" menu>"Burn Image">select an uncompressed image file of the software update file (*.iso)
- Please check "Finalize CD (No further writing possible)"
- Please refer to your own CD burning program manual if you want to use any other CD burning program for burning the ISO image file.
> Make sure the downloaded software is eligible for your BD-P1000 (e.g. CD image file name: XXXXXX_XX_BDP1000XAA.iso)
> The software update will not be executed if using an update CD which is not made with the above procedures.

UPDATE PROCEDURE:

WARNING
IMPORTANT: Please read the below notice before updating your unit.

The following events may interrupt the update process and MAY RESULT IN PERMANENT DAMAGE TO THE UNIT WHILE UPDATING.

a) Unplugging the power cord
b) Power Outage
c) Dirt or scratches on the disc
d) Opening the disc tray during processing.

PROCEDURE

1) Press OPEN/CLOSE to open the disc tray
2) Insert the update CD with the software update, label facing up
3) Press OPEN/CLOSE to close the disc tray.
- View the monitor and after checking the old and new version numbers select "Yes" or "No" with "" on the remote control. If you select "No", the BD-P1000 will be powered off after ejecting the tray.
* The version is indicated by "YYMMDD xx"
* If you don't see the message above, try another disc. Generally this is caused by disc quality or a disc creating problem.
4) Press the ENTER button on the remote control
- You will see "CD-UP" on the FLT display
- TV screen displays "Main F/W Update, now processing, please do not turn off the power.
5) It takes about 14-15 minutes to complete the update. The message "Main F/W has been updated successfully." will be displayed on the screen after the update is complete and the tray will open automatically. Do not turn the unit off, it will shutdown automatically.

* If the "Main F/W has been updated successfully" message does not appear on the screen after 16 minutes and the unit is no longer functioning properly, contact a Samsung Authorized Service Center.

6) After removing the update disc (make sure the unit has powered off automatically), turn on the unit with the Power button. The display will show the Menu Languages within a few seconds. Select the language you want with a corresponding number button.
The flash update is now completed.

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
The file that I downloaded is identified as a MICROSOFT Excel binary document with a file size of 9.8 MB. The name of the file is:

20061016193538531_ISO_bdp1000_xaa_061011_01.rar

Can anyone advise how to burn this to CD using Apple MacBook Pro ?

I do not have NERO software but only the Apple utility for the built in DVD/CD burner.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
It also enables 4:3 pillarboxing and improves DVD upconversion. The DTS bug is definitely gone, thank god!

My upgrade took 10 minutes, though I had an August build that already had the hourglass removed and the pillarboxing enabled. I should've made a note of the original firmware number during the upgrade for comparison to earlier build numbers.

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
Update successful but instructions not entirely accurate. There are actually three separate firmware updates with the first called "Main F/W" and the third called "Sub F/W". They all three load automatically and the drawer opens and unit powers down after the "Sub F/W updated successfully" appears. When you turn power back on the player defaults to HDMI 1080i. If you are using component or if your display does not support 1080i you will need to set to proper parameters before you will see the language selection screen referenced in the instructions.

Also, when you first insert the update CD, the wait time is quite long until the screen referenced in the instructions appears. Don't give up. It seemed like several minutes.

Anyway, the update was successful.

I did not have the proper burn software on my Apple so I down loaded the file and took it to local computer store where they burned the image file to a Cd R for $ 5 while I waited about 5 minutes.

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
After installation of the new firmware it will be necessary to go completely through set up settings again. I found that some of the defaults must have changed. For example, dynamic compression was engaged and speaker size was set to small.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Yep, you're right about the settings. I was wondering why the parental control thing came up again when I put in Eight Below, when I had previously set it.

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
I also encountered parental control flag with Eight Below but before the firmware update. I have not tried it since. On the early incident I disconnected the power cord for a couple of minutes and disc played. Then I manually set parental control to allow all.

The update also re-set audio to PCM rather than bitstream.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
The upgrade disc will show both firmware numbers, but if IIRC you can see the FW number by opening the disc tray and holding the INFO button down.

Roiger, unless my memory is playing tricks on me, did the Sammy originally have the resume play feature after the unit is powered off? I know it would remember your play location when you stopped the disc and the unit was left on, but I'm almost positive it wouldn't start you back if you powered it back on with the Play button. It certainly works now, another FW upgrade?

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I downloaded the firmware last weekend thanks to a buddy with a CD burner. I think that the picture looks slightly sharper. I watched MONSTER HOUSE last night, and it looks really nice. Now I don't feel so bad for not waiting for the Panasonic! ;)

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
There apparently is a new firmware posted on the Samsung site which is now dated as 10/26 release. I'm gonna download it when I get home and see what the differences are.

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
The following is extracted from an E-mail received from Samsung yesterday afternoon. It seems to reference the same version that was posted about two weeks ago. It does indicate that the filter issue was addressed.

Quote:

We are pleased to inform you that Samsung is providing a firmware upgrade for Samsung's
BD-P1000 Blu-ray disc player.

This firmware update applies the following improvements:

* Enhanced compatibility and performance with new BD-Java titles
* Sharper picture with a modified noise reduction filter setting
* Reduced Blu-ray disc load time by 4-5 seconds
* Option to view 4:3 content on Blu-ray discs in 4:3 aspect ration
* No video stuttering while viewing movies with DTS soundtracks
* Fixes reversed speaker test tones in certain units
* Changes hourglass icon to colored dots

This upgrade is available free of charge to consumers via the following methods:

* As a download on Samsung's support center:
www.samsung.com/support
* As a download on Samsung's Blu-ray micro-site: www.samsung.com/bluray
* Or on firmware discs available upon request by calling Samsung Customer Service at: (800) SAMSUNG

The firmware upgrade is needed only for previously shipped BD-P1000 Blu0ray players. For new production, this firmware update has been applied at the factory since the recent release of BD Java titles.

Please note that all Samsung BD-P1000 players - including players sold since US market launch this Spring - are compatible with movies to be released on dual-layer (50G) BD-ROM discs from this Fall.

End Quote

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
I went to the Samsung site and downloaded the file. It appears that the date designation has been changed from 1016 to 1020 in the file name and that the compressed file is now ZIP rather than RAR. The firmversion number remains as Ver 1.0. It appears that they may have only changed to the more popular ZIP format??????? I downloaded and installed on 10/17 using the original RAR file.

Dave, can you confirm.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks