What's new

Official Samsung BD-P1000 Blu-Ray player thread (1 Viewer)

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Could someone explain to me where the Interactive menus are?? I thought Blue Ray was supposed tro have the menus that overlay on top of the film, just like the Tosh HD player??

Matt Hetzler

Stunt Coordinator

Push the "Popup Menu/Title Menu" button on the remote, not the MENU button. That will show the overlay menu during the film, just like the Toshiba. :)

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
By the way, watching House of Flying Daggers right now... Very impressive HD content !!!

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
By the way, watching House of Flying Daggers right now... Very impressive HD content !!!

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Really? The reports on the transfer are becoming confusing. Another poster stated that he saw HOFD and considered "soft" and riddled with artifacts. It appears the only way a person is really going to be able to judge PQ is to see it for themselves.

Andrew P

Second Unit
HOFD is a very poor transfer in my opinion. Underworld Evolutions was above average, but not up to HD DVD quality. I was using HDMI to Sony Ruby.

Ive been telling people to judge it with your own eyes. Drive to BB, CC, or buy it risk free for 30 days. Do a quick calibration and you will see right away. I was not impressed with the first 4 titles. Its not enough to deem the format a failure based on 4 discs, but it was enough for me to wait.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
One thing I don't like about the Samsung is that it doesn't seem to allow reverse freeze-frame stepping. Only foward (like on VCDs).

I hope the Sony model changes this.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
HOFD wasn't reference HD content, but it was still very good. On par with OTA HD... Give the format a chance guys... Lets see 20-30 movies before we judge.....

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

Bill Hunt over at The Digital Bits site is now reporting that there seems to be a problem with the Samsung's HDMI output. He noted that all the current BD titles look significantly better on his equipment via component.

Of course, there are two problems with using component on a long term basis:
1. The studios at any time can enable the "ICT" flag for any specific title which will force the deck to "downrez" the component output to 560p.
2. You cannot "upscale" most commercially available SD-DVD discs to 1080i via component.

In any event, it's nice to know that these transfers were apparently being marred more by a defect in the player as opposed to the MPEQ2 encoding within the 25 GB space limitation that had been speculated.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Yes, I agree with you there because even though, I wasn't seeing the problems others were, I was wondering why my opinion about the video presentations was so different from some other opinions.

Crawdaddy

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Robert,
I agree with what you are saying... 5Th Element was sub par for HD.... Let's see what happens in the next few weeks with future releases.... I have seen good HD content with 50 First Dates, and Terminator to have hope for "Up to Par" Transfers in the future....

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Unless the methods change, I doubt that short term change will be seen. With SD DVD, one could pick up patterns, that tracked to studios, in terms of A/V quality with regards to discs over a period of time that were indicative of the techniques, decisions, etc. that went into creating the final product. I don't see why that will change for HD.

Certainly there are variables that affect the final product, not the least of which is runtime; and I agree that the final deciding factor is one's experience with the product - but I still believe that quality tends to track to the studio's production technique.

- Walter.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I have one more question about this particular player. Does it have a display button where you can see the remaining time on your tv with 1 or 2 click of a button?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks