What's new

*** Official SAHARA Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
I'm a little puzzled, though pleased, that there might be a sequel. Box Office Mojo reported the film made 120 million worldwide, but cost 130 million. There might be some profit when you factor in DVD and TV rights, but that's not a huge hit. It is a little sad that such a successful book series can't produce a profitable movie (and there have been two Dirk Pitt movies!).

John Mansor

Stunt Coordinator
Well it isn't that surprising when you consider that it has almost made back its budget before getting to DVD. Action/Adventure movies like this are DVD's best sellers. Also, movies like Austin Powers have had sequels only becuase of home video sales.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

I don't think so, ... the first 1997 Austin Power's movie made money @ the Box-Office (Worldwide BO - minus - Prod. Budget/Marketing) which warranted a sequel. Video/DVD revenue $$$ is just a cherry on the top of the Box-Office!

AUSTIN POWERS: INTERNATIONAL MAN OF MYSTERY
Release Date: May 2, 1997
Production Budget: $16.5 million
Est. Marketing Costs: N/A
Domestic: $53,883,989
+ Overseas: $13,800,000
-----------------------
= Worldwide: $67,683,989

AUSTIN POWERS: THE SPY WHO SHAGGED ME
Release Date: June 11, 1999
Production Budget: $33 million
Est. Marketing Costs: $40 million
Domestic: $206,040,086
+ Overseas: $104,900,000
-------------------------
= Worldwide: $310,940,086

Phil

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
Was this a terrible movie or what? Loud Howard McConaughey might be one of the worst actors around. The potential was there for a *much* better movie, and here I thought National Treasure was a solid movie.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Actually, I enjoyed Sahara better than National Treasure, not that either of them are classics.

Jason

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I would agree that Sahara has the potential for being a good franchise, but I don't think the opening movie was quite as effective as possible. Say what you will about the suspension of disbelief needed for National Treasure, it progressed from location to location in a way that I was able to follow. But there were several times that I was watching Sahara and wondering 'why are we at this place and what are we looking for?'. The strength was in the duo and the weakness was the plotting and pacing.

Still was good enough for me to hope they make another movie, hopefully with a stronger story element.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks