What's new

*** Official "RUSH HOUR 2" Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Rush Hour 2". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread. Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning! If you need to discuss those type of issues, I have designated an Official Discussion Thread which can be found at this link.
Again, without warning, I will delete all posts that are not a HTF member review!
Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Crawdaddy
------------------
[Edited last by Robert Crawford on August 04, 2001 at 02:14 AM]

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
I was disappointed in this sequel.
The first RUSH HOUR movie was very good...fast paced with action and good comedy.
RUSH HOUR 2 turned out to be much the opposite.
Chris Tucker simply wasn't as funny as he was in the first movie...most of the jokes in RH2 weren't that funny at all.
It gave me about 5 weak chuckles, but through most of the movie, I was just sitting there getting more and more impatient as the movie went on...I must of checked the time about 3-4 times.
Spoiler:Oh yeah, the bad guy falls off of a tall building at the end...how original.
The bad guys also have plenty of chances to kill our heros but can't because they are the stars of the movie...I hate it when a movie can't figure out better ways to get our heros out of a jam other than having the bad guy simply talk about their plans and for whattever reason, take them hostage instead of killing them then and there.
I had high hopes for this movie, I loved the first one and thought that the re-teaming of Tucker, Chan and Ratner would bring the magic back...it did not.
RUSH HOUR 2:
star.gif
half.gif
(out of 4)
icon13.gif

------------------
LuvLBX
[Edited last by Jerry Gracia on August 04, 2001 at 10:20 AM]
[Edited last by Robert Crawford on August 04, 2001 at 10:44 AM]

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I think this one was slightly just as good as the original. I will admit that this one was funnier, and had better fighting sequences.
Didn't have much of a plot, but it was so funny I didn't mind it.
I think it's really worth a view.
My rating=B
Rush Hour rating=B+
------------------
Link Removed

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
My 9-word Rush Hour 2 review:
"I laughed so hard, I was drenched in sweat!"
This is the kind of movie you have to go see with a packed house at the theater. I literally was LMAO! I didn't expect much in terms of plot, but the chemistry between Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker is truly fun to watch develop on screen. Truly another Odd Couple pairing that works on the popcorn movie that was made to entertain its audience. On this level, this sequel succeeds. You don't go to see this film for substantial plotting, no, you go see this film to have fun, laugh at the 2 protagonist's reactions to their plight, and how they get out of their predicaments. If you are looking to have something to chew on after you see this film, you will be disappointed, but if you want to have a good time with the rest of the audience, laughing for a stretch of 90 minutes, then go see this film AT THE THEATERS!
And don't leave until you watch the outtakes as the end credits are rolling, there's some more funny stuff in there.
For a sequel, I didn't think they were mining familiar territory, rather generating a better foundation for the 2 main characters' relationship. If you like the 1st film, you'll enjoy this one.
If you can't stand Chris Tucker, why are you debating on seeing this film, avoid it for your own sanity!
Grade: A- (for its genre, it delivers the goods).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched this film yesterday afternoon but waited to post my review in fear of being ridiculed by other members for loving this film.
wink.gif
When I walked out of the theater, I had tears running out of my eyes from laughing so hard. Plot development was not important to me when I watch films like "Rush Hour 2" but scenes in which I laugh my ass off is of the upmost importance. Both leads were good and I thought that Jackie Chan was actually better in this film then the prior film. The two female leads were very good in their roles and I couldn't get enough of them on the screen and I mean that literally. :)
To echo Patrick's comments, the crowd I watched this film with was really into the movie and that really helps whenever you're watching a comedy because laughter is contagious. Also, as alluded to by others, if you can't stand Chris Tucker then stay away from this film. However, IMO he was very funny in this film. Also, there are some cameos from some other actors that were very funny to me. My rating for this action/comedy is four out of five
star.gif
Crawdaddy
------------------

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
This movie was a big disappointment. I enjoyed the first Rush Hour, but this one fell flat. Basically, the jokes weren't funny, so the guys had no material to work with.
I mean, Chris Tucker's character is horny. That grew old after about 2 minutes. And there was nothing left.
Plus, the fight sequences were generic, so it didn't work on an action level either.
1 star.

AaronJB

Second Unit
September of a few years ago, New Line paired up Jackie Chan with fast-talking "Money Talks" star Chris Tucker and "Talks" director Brett Ratner. "Rush Hour" was dumped into the middle of September by the studio, only to see the film run flying out of the gates, with a major opening and exceptional business in the following weeks. It deserved to, as well. A smart, edgy buddy-cop comedy, the two lead actors had great chemistry and, shockingly, it seemed as if the genre would be refreshed.
The inevitable sequel has arrived and the question remains - does the series continue at the same strength? Unfortunately, no. Working with a dissapointing screenplay from Jeff Nathanson (original screenwriter Ross Lamanna simply gets "characters" credit this time out), the laughs come occasionally and the action comes at a respectable rate, but the dialogue is pure generic buddy-action comedy banter and, after a while, it gets tired. Nathanson's previous credits include "Speed 2: Cruise Control". Enough said.
The plot goes something like this: Inspector Lee (Chan) and Detective Carter (Tucker) are in Hong Kong - Lee continues to work cases while Carter is on vacation and getting increasingly annoyed that he's not actually getting any vacation time. Suddenly, there's an explosion at the US Embassy and Lee gets called into the case - dragging Carter along with him. Thus begins a mess of a plot revolving around counterfit money - or something like that. There's Isabella Molina, a customs agent who may or may not be working for the good guys; Ricky Tan, Triad boss and Hu Li, played by Zhang Ziyi of "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon". Ziyi is the only one that makes any sort of impression in a handful of decent action scenes. The other two are generally wasted; personally, I really liked period actor Tom Wilkinson as the villian in the first one a bit better.
A bigger problem in this second picture is Tucker, but it isn't Tucker's fault. In the original picture, Carter was a highly talkative character who used his mouth smartly to talk his way out of trouble. He was generally a good guy underneath and the first picture knew just how much to use Tucker. I've always liked Tucker's fast-talking antics, but used wrongly or too much and he becomes less entertaining (although this is nowhere near as annoying as his character from "The 5th Element"). Writer Nathanson doesn't seem to show an understanding of what made the character likable in the first picture - here, he's an arrogant character who walks directly into trouble and, as his mouth runs off, he finds that he's only caused worse trouble with the villians out to get them both.
There's a few jokes that are exceptionally funny, but for every joke that made me laugh, there's several that didn't even bring a smile. The funniest joke actually revolves around a callback of a joke from the first film, only this time it's Lee who asks Carter, "do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth?". The other half of the film is the action sequences - many of which are respectable and occasionally impressive. Yet, Jet Li's "Kiss Of The Dragon" offered more consistent and more exceptionally choreographed and filmed action. Although rightfully respected action cinematographer Matthew Leonetti ("Strange Days") provides effective photography here, I much prefered the grittier, darker and more intimidating viewpoint of cinematographer Thierry Arbogast in "Dragon".
Personally, I was just short of very dissapointed with "Rush Hour 2". It contains a few mildly entertaining moments, but a mediocre screenplay makes the entire film suffer. Fans of the original film may want to check it out at a bargain matinee, but I'd go in with low expectations.
**/****
My Site: A Guide To Current DVD

Todd N

Grip
Been gone for a looong time...feels weird to be posting again...but anyway.
I LOVED RUSH HOUR 2!!!! I mean c'mon guys, it is a fun film. I think what I enjoyed the most was the fact that the chemistry between the two has grown far more intense. They know each other now, and were really "in tune", so to speak. It was cool to see the guys in a new locale, and they had little gags which had been carried over from the first one. I enjoyed it, and actually place it higher than some of the other "summer blockbusters" I've seen in the past few weeks...
Peace...
One
------------------
Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining!

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
I absolutely loved Rush Hour 2, even moreso than the first film. The timing, pacing, comedy and fight sequences are all better toned and choreographed than the original.
Admit it or not, the appeal of the Rush Hour films is Chris Tucker. He may not know when to shut up, but that's why I love the guy. He has a endless creativity with his jokes, and bringing in Chan with his talent as well really works.
I didn't care about the goofy plot which has holes in it, of course, but the energy level is extremely high and it left me breathless with laughter and applause. It may not be one of the best films of the year, but it is one of the funniest and most entertaining.
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
1/2
Regards,
Jason
------------------
Link Removed
[email protected] ICQ: 16733922 I Am Jack's DVD List
"Enjoy the Ozzy and keep your mouth shut!" George Plimpton
Film Critic, Link Removed

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised no one mentioned how absolutely horrible the score was in the movie. I don't think I've ever watched a movie and thought, "damn, that's some bad music!"
Maybe I was in a bad mood because the movie was out of focus and when I went to say something the girl responded with, "it's shot soft". Well, WRONG ANSWER there girl! I'm 6'8" and she was about 5'1". I let her have it. She was scared.
Sorry, that's not why I posted this message.
I thought the movie was alright, but nothing special. I'm glad I didn't pay for it (friend got tickets to the premiere, yes I'm late posting this). I was distracted by the music and I think I've seen the plot soooo many time.
Spoiler:I mean, come on. How many movies have the "bad guy" killed, only to have him come back for the climax? They expect the audience to be shocked, but I went "Whoooo...Imagine that!" Gimme a break!
So that's my take on Rush Hour 2.
[Edited last by Gord Lacey on August 06, 2001 at 11:31 AM]

quote: If you are not a fan of Chris Tucker. Why would you go see the film and why would you care? I'm not Taking nothing away from Jackie Chan, but the Rush Hour films are a hit because of Chris Tucker. The theory of him being a star only because of African Americans is totally ridiculous. He has a wide range of fans that like to see him in movies and his stand up. If your only experience with CT is Fifth Element and Rush Hour you don't even deserve to talk about him.[/quote]
The above is my quote from the discussion thread on Friday. Thanks Jason for sort of agreeing with me:
quote: Admit it or not, the appeal of the Rush Hour films is Chris Tucker. He may not know when to shut up,[/quote]
Moviegoers and critics are bashing Chris Tucker like they expected him to calm down for this sequel. Its Chris Tucker for petes sake. If you knew nothing about Tuckers style prior to this movie and you were disappointed then I'm sorry, but If you went in knowing full well who Chris Tucker is then that was plain dumb.
Great Movie and Zhang Ziyi is simply amazing!!
------------------
View MShannon's DVD Collection
If You Want "The Five Heartbeats" Go Here:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/001946.html
Petition for Eddie Murphy Films GO HERE:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/002420.html
[Edited last by Michael Shannon on August 06, 2001 at 12:13 PM]

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
In short, I thought Rush Hour 2 was an entertaining, serviceable sequel.
It neither surprised nor disappointed. It had many laughs, good chemistry between the two leads, amusing action sequences, little plot in a thankfully short, tight running time.
As the saying goes, If ya liked the first one..... :)
I give it THREE STARS
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif

------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
This is the kind of movie you have to go see with a packed house at the theater. I literally was LMAO!
Couldn't have said it better myself. I saw it with a huge group of my friends in a theater where 99% of the audience was made up of people 15-25 years old. The movie was flat out entertaining! Definitely worth my eight bucks.
------------------
I am Jack's Signature

"Here's to us poor schmoes, working for the man. Even if he is a hot, sexy female man."
"But as a gentleman, I must warn you, if you so much as glance at another woman, I'll be on her like a fly on a pile of very seductive manure."

Joseph Haddon

Auditioning
I went to see this movie with my dad and there was only one empty seat (next to me thankfully. More leg room!). Anyways, the entire theatre was laughing the entire movie. From beginning to end there was comedy and action. Taken from a strictly fun/entertaining point of view the movie succeded. HOWEVER, it was a sequel. You didnt need to be introduced to the characters (That happened in the first movie). Most sequels suck! Plain and simple. This sequel, I must say, was as good as, and I think, better than the original. THe original movie wasnt funny the second time around, and I have a feeling RH2 will (I have a desire to see it twice, which didnt happen the first time around).
------------------
- Joe

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
I too loved "Rush Hour 2". Given the reviews at rottentomatoes.com I went in with low expectations. I came out having laughed like crazy. My wife & I both found it had no dull moments & plenty of jokes. It has a few plot holes & unnecessary scenes, but with jokes flying fast, we found them forgivable.
My grades:
"Rush Hour" B+
"Rush Hour 2" A-

Mario_C

Stunt Coordinator
Well I went to see the movie last night. The theater was packed and everybody was laughing there ass off. My stomach hurt from all the laughing. The jokes are great and I am sure everybody else there loved it. It'd dumb comedy and some people just don't like that. i have a friend like that. He loves action movies but can't stand dumb comedy.
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
half.gif
out of
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif

------------------
Link Removed
[Edited last by Mario_C on August 11, 2001 at 01:02 PM]

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Finally saw RH2 since I liked the original. Sorry to say this but I was disapointed. There were some good laughs, but
it became a mess and fell apart towards the end. The constant bickering between Chan and Tucker grated on my nerves. The fight scenes were lackluster, surprising for a Jackie Chan movie, and Zhang Ziyi was pretty much wasted.
star.gif
star.gif
out of
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I am going to jump in here and say that this was one fun film. I really enjoyed it. Personally I like both Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker. It has some really great laughs and it did what it was supposed to...entertain.
"Well. I guess HE won't be in Rush Hour 3."
Parker

Sebastian_M

Stunt Coordinator
Just got back from it now. I must say I really enjoyed it. The theater was packed but people were reasonably well behaved (no beach balls) and there wasn't a problem with the projection or sound.
I actually prefer this over the original Rush Hour. But Parker nailed it on the head...
"I guess HE won't be in Rush Hour 3!"
The movie made fun of itself with the reused gags. A really fun movie.
***/****
Seb
------------------
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Another positive vote for this movie here. I'll agree that there were some unoriginal resolutions to plot threads however I took the movie for what it was: A device to let us see Chan & Tucker work together and have a good laugh. No masterpiece of cinema but if you go to this movie (and most others) with that expectation, you'll just be disappointed.
I'd give it a solid B .
------------------
cwmddd.gif
My Top 10 of 2000 My Top 10 of 2001

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks