What's new

*** Official RAMBO Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Dan M

Second Unit
Inspector Hammer,

The scene you mention is implied, not shown, However I think it's safe to say it's largely suggested.

This movie is pretty much up front at what it's trying to say

It may be the most violent film I've ever seen; and I've seen many ...

To say it is intense is an understatement.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
To anyone who have trouble with the "mac gyver" explosive scene, as someone wrote on this forum, it's not the Rambo bomb which cause the holocaust, its that there's a Tallboy bomb next to it, that finally is triggered, that's what Rambo does on purpose.

The Tallboy was an earth quake bomb developed by Barnes Wallis and brought into operation by the British in 1944. It weighed five tons and, carried by the Avro Lancaster bomber, was effective against concrete structures against which earlier, smaller bombs had proved ineffective.
An enlarged version of the Tallboy was the Grand Slam bomb.

I'm not sure what version Rambo triggers, but the blast it provokes is 100% on. It's like a nuclear explosion, without the nuclear and radiation just the impact.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
the stats are hilarious. Best thing about the movie is it was totally exploitation without feeling like exploitation if that maes sense. It's the most realistic superhero action movie made. Shame people wont see it since the consesus seems to be that Rambo=stupid.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

and I never mentioned you in the post. Pretty near everyone I've mentioned the Rambo movie to other then the 3 mates who went with me think it sounds corny. Even now, telling people it was one of the best movies I've seen in ages, the "rambo" part causes a bunch of eye rolling. SAdly, Rambo equals "big dumb action movie" to a lot of film fans. I found this Rambo film to be the ballsiest war film to come out in years. More so then eve "saving Private Ryan" since Stallone didn't make it overly sentimental with a bookend side plot that made little sense. Everything that happens in the film fits the character, and the story is lean and tight.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Oh no no I didn't mean to imply that, I was simply giving my reasons. I actually have always thought that these films were very smart behind all the, ya know, explosions and grunting lol.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Is it easy to get lighters? Seems like that's something you want to hold onto if you're about to do something that might turn into an action movie. He just tossed his onto that boat.

Decent action movie. It actually worked better than some of the "avant-garde" stuff like Shoot 'Em Up. Wish Julie Benz had more to do.

The end credits hold that shot of him walking toward the farm until he's a tiny dot on screen. I wonder how well that will hold up on DVD.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Despite the poor reviews at rottentomatoes, I'm really looking forward to this, in part because of the positive comments I see elsewhere. Also, I think I'm just in the mood for a big, hyperviolent action movie.

edit: I've noticed there seems to be a real disconnect between what critics are saying and what moviegoers are saying. Tomatometer in the mid 30's, Metascore in the 40's, yet it's at 8.4 at IMDB (putting it in the Top 200), and a 9.1 Viewer Score at Metacritic. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples of this but this is the first movie where I've really noticed it.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
James B seemed to like it for what it was. His rating almost seems a bit too low considering he didnt have anything really bad to say about it.

Im not providing a link because a few here have complained about spoilers in his reviews for some films in the past, but you know where to find it if you want to read it.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Have to agree with many others... RAMBO delivered BIG-TIME!! Just got back from an afternoon show with only about five people in attendance; this was a film where I bet audiences CHEERED appreciatively in a crowd! Nope, there was not much of a plot at all and it didn't need it. You pays yer money and ya gets what you wanted -- a nonstop thrill-a-minute, bloody, gore-soaked, depraved, roller coaster ride of action! At only a tad over 90 minutes, there is not fat on this meat -- but you have to know what you're in for. I also liked the ending, which I won't reveal but I thought was perfect.

I am VERY impressed with what Stallone was able to do with both the John Rambo and Rocky Balboa characters at such a later point in his life, and against all odds and skeptics (myself among them).

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
for the record, when I saw this last Saturday at the 5pm show, the theater was maybe half full, and the film got a standing ovation. :D

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I've been reading the comments here, and I have to say it's too bad some think that "certain things" in the film went "too far" For example, a boy getting raped, and babies and children being killed.
This kind of thing SHOULD make people upset, and should make them feel "nauseated". That's the point, and it's the grim reality of the circumstances. I'm sure many will agree with me when I say we've been far too "careful" in movies for way too long after the 60s and 70s, and we need more realism like this to stir emotion, as tough as it may be. As someone else said in this thread, the situations I have highlighted up above are handled pretty well, and while you know what the deal is, thse particular incidents aren't overblown. You're upset by these things? Perfect -- the film has succeeded in its goal.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
It might be the reality, Joe, and it certaintly DOES upset me and I only read about it.

Now considering that the film already accomplished making me feel that way, why do I have to see it?

I don't.

It's a matter of personal boundries, I know where mine are and from what i've observed this film exceeds them.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Well, it's difficult to discuss here because I don't want to reveal spoilers... but I'd say then that this film just isn't for you. Don't see it if it's not your thing. However, sometimes the way things sound can be worse than if you saw them for yourself. I'd say in the case of the gore, guts, and carnage in RAMBO, yes -- these things are way over-the-top. But with regard to, say, the issue with the young boy, it's not handled as blatantly as your imagination might leap to.

The rape scene is"discreetly" done: A young boy (like 15-17) is brought to the door of the commander by a guard, and the kid steps inside. Later in the film the commander opens the door and let's the boy walk out.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm with Joe on this one. It's the type of film that should be seen realy. Last night on CNN, they were showing a trailer for the new "mama mia" movie, and the ticker under it was telling about current genocide in Kenya. Whats more important in our world? I think the fact that Stallone took an admittedly cartoony hero and had him confront the horrors of the world in a completely honest and in your face way was an amazing thing to do. When we see a action hero lay out 100 guys in "the Punisher" , it shouldn't be pallatable, and Stallone made sure that he grabed you by the throat.

It also struck me in another way. I awtch a lot of classic films. It strikes me as sad how many films fro the "good old days" of the 30's-60's confront current social and world issues way more directly then our current films do, despite a more restrictive production code. A sign of our big business world I guess. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks