What's new

Official Playstation 3 Blu-Ray player Thread (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ok was that is supposed to go to post 140 or 143
that link goes to post 121 for me.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I finally broke open my PS3 box and have stuff sort of set up. It's downloading the 1.3 firmware as I type this, then I think I may have it download some demos and video. I don't have my HDMI cable or optical cables yet, so I just have it hooked to my TV via the pack in composite/stereo RCA cable. I figured this way, once I receive my cables, I don't have to wait for anything :)
BTW how big is the 1.3 firmware, it seems to be taking awhile to download (our DSL here isn't the fastest either, it's only 512kbps :frowning: )

Gilbert_P

Stunt Coordinator
I got mine last week, it is GREAT. I love the quiteness of it. Resistance is amazing. It gets MUCH better after the first couple chapters. So far i have MI 3, Ricky Bobby, Underworld, and Superman. MI 3 and Superman look great, gonna watch Underworld tommorow. Wifi works great too. Add me to your friends list = blazew0n

Marc Carra

Supporting Actor
I got my 20gig PS3 on the weekend and hooked a 320 Gig external USB drive to it last night. I figured that the $100 I spent on the 320gig external was money better spent than putting it towards a mere 60 gig. I've got the PS3 hardwired to my network so the wi-fi wasn't a dealbreaker at all. Last night I streamed some HD recordings of Prison Break from the drive to the PS3 and they looked amazing. I love this thing!

Marc.

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
I got a PS3 60GB model at the playstation store just a block away from where I work just yesterday, 12/12/06. I bought it during my lunch hour (I had my meal first, of course), and then I stood in line for about 40 minutes to get it.
I have not set it up yet. I hope to set it up this weekend. After work, I went to CC near where I live (just two block away), and bought the component cables for the PS3.
I have an "old" tw40x81 hdtv set at home with only component inputs. I hope I can watch soon some HD blu-ray movies since I did not find a game which appeals to me at this point in time.
ADDITION TO THIS POST: (12-28-2006)
Just today I bought BD remote control for the PS3, and when I was paying for it, I saw a bunch of PS3 box ready to be sold garthering dust behind the counter. There was nobody buying them at the Sony Playstation store here in San Francisco.
Regards,
orestes

Arman

Screenwriter
To save some money on BD: Don't forget that there's a booklet of $10 mail in BD rebates included in the box of PS3 + the unlimited $20 off $50 via Google checkout in Buy.com (thru end of December - free shipping/no tax via their snail mail).
$14-$20 on average thru Buy less $10 = $4-$10! (!$5000 42" plasma/LCD TVs now selling for

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Now I really want one. I didn't know it was so versitile. Is the 360 capable of having a bigger external hard drive or streaming files into it?

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
There is a bigger Xbox 360 drive coming and you can stream via Windows Media Connect or XP Media Center Edition. If you are just looking to store MP3's and pictures without game saves, then you can always get a USB harddrive. The Xbox 360 will recognize up to a 32GB drive plugged directly to it.

MarkRoberts

Stunt Coordinator
I just picked up a 60gb sat. Was checking Best buy and Circuit City nada, I went into Target on a whim and bam! 10 of them sitting behind the counter in the electronics dept.

I have it hooked up to my Sanyo Z5 and have watched "into the blue" & "Ice age the meltdown" I thought they looked great. It set itself at 1080p so my pj must be downconverting to 720p.

I am loving Resistance on the 100" screen!

joel.V

Auditioning
just got 2 of the 60gb. might sell the other one if my brother backs out. cant wait to hook it up.

Neal_C

Second Unit
My buddy at Target called me this morning and told me they got five 60gb's in and were out on the shelves. This was about 9:15am. When I got there about 10:00am, there were 2 left. I wanted both but wasn't allowed. The last one sat on the shelf for about 40 more minutes while I talked to my buddy and then it was snatched up. I was waiting around to see if someone new would work the counter, but no such luck.
Haven't decided what to do with it yet. Its still sealed. I have had a Xbox 360 since launch and have added the HD-DVD add on in the last couple of weeks. The fiancee keeps complaining about the movies that are on Blu-Ray and not on HD-DVD. So what do I do? I get the least expensive Blu-Ray player available and she says we don't need another gaming system. Then she follows that up with wanting to get a Wii also. LOL
I can only kinda afford it and not sure I really need it but it is tempting me just sitting there.
Dilemma, dilemma.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I finally got my HDMI and Optical cables today, so I hooked up the PS3 properly! Played a couple of the demos I have, then felt like watching a movie, so I popped in the pack in Talladega Nights and watched that. I'd heard the transfer was crappy, so I can't wait to see what a really good title looks like because I didn't think TN looked too bad. Sure, the contrast could have been a lot better, and while some scenes were nice and sharp, some others were pretty soft looking. This is on a 720p 42" Sony LCD RPTV (TV shows the signal as 1080i). Played some Resistance too. I'm used to shooters on the PC, so playing with a gamepad is going to take some practice. I decided to play on Hard, so it should last awhile.
Brian

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Well, I took the plunge.....
I signed up for the amazon raffle type offer for the 20gb PS3 and tonite I logged on and I was eligible!
Anyone else who signed up, go to amazon and check to see if you're eligible!
dave

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Congratulations, Dave!
When will it arrive (and the the PS3 :) )?
We're waiting for your first hand stories!
Cees

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Now you edited this post to make it considerable shorter, people will need to find out how I knew about the other one and what we're actually talking about! :laugh:
Cees

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Dave Mack said:
Thanks, Cees! Junior will be arriving in may, the PS3 on thursday!
Congrats! On both of course... but more the former rather than the later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks