What's new

Official Playstation 3 Blu-Ray player Thread (1 Viewer)

longodj

Auditioning
Real Name
David Longo
Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this forum. I had a Sony BDP-S1 and got really tired of waiting for it to boot, not being able to play certain discs, freezing in the middle of a disc, etc. So I traded mine in directly for a 60Gb PS3. Now I have an excellent gaming system, and a really killer interface for BluRays. When I had the BDP-S1 I had some trouble getting it to output the sound and display settings I wanted (for some reason it didn't want to output 1080p...) but the PS3 detected Everything immediately. I love my PS3 and wouldn't trade it back for the BDP-S1 for anything.

Thanks,

Dave

Joe Cortez

Stunt Coordinator
Chris S said:
Is anyone still having freeze issues even after 1.51? I watch The Prestige tonight and had it freeze up for ~6 seconds about 4 times on me. I did have the wireless network on this time so I'm wondering if that may still be the issue.
I have a similar setup on my system and haven't experienced any freezing just yet. Does it only affect certain titles?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I've gone from 1.1 (I think) all the way through 1.51 (just installed 1.54 last night) and have never had it freeze on BD playback. Of course, I've only played about 10 movies on it. I never have wireless enabled (too lazy to reconfigure my router).
Hopefully this weekend I'll try The Prestige, if I have time.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Tried to download 1.54 last night but it was SLOOOOOOW. Took 1hr to reach 15%, then I got tired of it and shut it off. Was the update large?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
The update was the same size.
I think Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection finally getting released on PS3 via the Playstation store had more to do with the network slowness ;)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ahhh, I see. Will have to check that out then...I want to play the new characters. I figured it was just busy, but that makes sense :)

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I downloaded the update last night around 8:30 CST and didn't have any speed issues. Although Tekken wasn't even on the top downloaded list yet so I might have just gotten in before the masses starting downloading.

DavidUL

Agent
just checking .. in watched the prestige 2x and no freeze issues.. BUT i did just pick up the clapton cross roads DVD and it seemed to pause on the 1st disc with JT playing.. but i was able to hit skip to the next chapter and it was fine.. not sure if disc related or player.. but never had any freeze or glitch issues until than.. but i do not run it wireless i ahve it pluggged into my router direct.

Joe Cortez

Stunt Coordinator
DavidUL said:
just checking .. in watched the prestige 2x and no freeze issues.. BUT i did just pick up the clapton cross roads DVD and it seemed to pause on the 1st disc with JT playing.. but i was able to hit skip to the next chapter and it was fine.. not sure if disc related or player.. but never had any freeze or glitch issues until than.. but i do not run it wireless i ahve it pluggged into my router direct.
That's interesting. I watched a few flicks last night and caught several pauses throughout "Corpse Bride" but had no problems at all with "Silent Hill" and "Rattle and Hum." I had the wireless connection running the whole time. Could it be a problem related to the compression method used? I noticed that "Corpse Bride" was encoded using VC-1 while "Silent Hil"" and "Rattle and Hum" used MPEG2.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Joe Cortez said:
That's interesting. I watched a few flicks last night and caught several pauses throughout "Corpse Bride" but had no problems at all with "Silent Hill" and "Rattle and Hum." I had the wireless connection running the whole time. Could it be a problem related to the compression method used? I noticed that "Corpse Bride" was encoded using VC-1 while "Silent Hil"" and "Rattle and Hum" used MPEG2.
No, because I watched House of Flying Daggers, which is also Mpeg2 AFAIK, and I had no problems with it.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
How are you guys watching 4:3 material? I notice a lot of the documentaries and extras are coming up stretched on the PS3 on my set. I have an older set which locks into "Full" mode with progressive scan. I haven't found a way to watch the extras on most of my BDs or any 4:3 DVDs. Do the newer sets automatically adjust this?

FWIW, my Oppo has a setting which takes care of this....any chance a future firmware upgrade might provide the same setting?

DavidUL

Agent
Joe Cortez said:
check and see if your corpse bride has any finger print smudges on it...
i got same thing with pirates of the c 2 cleaned off a smudge and worked perfect all the way through.. went back to my clapton dvd.. and waht do you know a smudge.. wiped it off watched it no pause/ freeze.. I am wondering if the laser is a bit sensitive, also taking the DVD's out it almost impossible not to get a finger print on it..

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Jeff Adkins said:
How are you guys watching 4:3 material? I notice a lot of the documentaries and extras are coming up stretched on the PS3 on my set. I have an older set which locks into "Full" mode with progressive scan. I haven't found a way to watch the extras on most of my BDs or any 4:3 DVDs. Do the newer sets automatically adjust this?
FWIW, my Oppo has a setting which takes care of this....any chance a future firmware upgrade might provide the same setting?
You're probably out of luck until upscaling is released. My TV fortunately allows 4:3 mode with 480p images.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Greg Kettell said:
You're probably out of luck until upscaling is released. My TV fortunately allows 4:3 mode with 480p images.
OK, so you think scaling will solve this problem? If so, I'll be very happy!

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Well, the only way to upscale 4:3 content properly would be to windowbox it in the 16:9 frame, so it makes sense to think upscaling would resolve this.

In fact, I've played around with copying some 4:3 SD material to the hard drive (music video stuff), and it already is scaled to 1080i and windowboxed properly when played from there instead of from the optical disc. Go figure.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
Help!!! I am not very good with this stuff. I want to get a 1080p TV, but can't quite get myself to pull the trigger yet. I want to get a PS3 (have the funds set aside now). I have a Panasonic CT-34WX54 (1080i) TV. It has an HDMI input. What will happen with Blu-Ray DVD's? I understand they are 1080p, but will they display at 1080i on my current TV (I kind of understand the issue with 720p games for the PS3)?

If they will display at 1080i, how much weaker does this look compared to 1080p?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks