What's new

***Official "PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Except when she plays Guinivere ;)

I can see some Winona. And she's already been in a movie with Johnny Depp, whose agent must be over the moon. As if they weren't before, representing Johnny Depp :D

Take care,
Chuck

EDIT: I wrote this in response to Crawdaddy's post below...I have no idea how it got above his post ;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think Kiera looks more like a taller Winona Ryder in the face. Either way, she has a definite future since she's only 20 years old. Probably needs to work on her American accent.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Funny all this talk of Keira Knightly looking like Natalie Portman or Winona Ryder - when we left the film this afternoon my friend & I both thought she had a bit of a young Brooke Shields thing going on.

Oh well, there's no doubt she's a babe!

This was just a great, fun, old-fashioned adventure. It's been too damn long. With all the high-profile summer action flicks this year, who would have believed that this one would be the best??

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit
As far as the "curse" goes, didn't Captain Barbosa mention that when they first came across the Aztec gold, most of the crew spent/traded/gave it away, and they had spent years recovering all the coins? It could be possible that Will's father did not take a coin from the chest, but came across one via trade through so many hands.

8^B

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
How could Will's father's blood have undone the curse, if the curse makes one a skeleton (and hence, bloodless) to begin with? Maybe that's the entire nature of the curse -- you can't ever undo it because there's no blood left in you to undo it.

Seems like there's a loophole with a blood relative, though...

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Let's see if I can tackle some of the curse 's logic. If I get any of these wrong, please feel free to correct me.;)

1. The gold is cursed because it was originally used as "blood money".

2. You have to physically take the gold out of the chest to be cursed.

3. The only way to lift the curse, is for ALL the pieces to be returned to the chest with some of the blood of every Pirate.

4. You have to be in direct moonlight to be seen as a skeleton.

5. When Elizabeth first falls over the cliff into the water, as soon as the gold coin makes contact with the water, it sends out a "shock wave" which calls out to the crew of the Black Pearl.

6. Williams father was cursed too, but sent the coin to his son to continue the curse.

There were some inconsistencies such as the Pirates could feel nothing such as "the wind on my face" however they regularly cried out when punched or stabbed during fights, even Barborossa during the end duel with Jack....

..which brings me to Barborossa's death. Jack shoots him, Barborossa tells him he wasted the bullet, then William drops the coin into the chest, and Barborossa dies.

But when he was shot, the curse was still in effect.:confused:

Much better the second time around! :b

MikeRS

Screenwriter
Keira is significantly prettier than Portman.
From the top of the highest mountain, I refute thee! :angry:

She might be the sexiest beanpole, but um...

Natalie has a better nose. :p)

And her eyes are also kinda untouchable too.

:b

Keira's not too shabby, but I don't think she's significantly prettier than perfection® ;)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Most try to blow you away with spectacle. This film just goes out and be fun.
I completely agree with this statement. I don't think new films need to be better/bigger than I've ever seen before and I wish the focus would shift away from that somewhat.

Blu

Screenwriter
What a incredibly fun film!!
It is one where you don't overthink it, just sit back and enjoy it.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I've got a question for everyone who has complained about the film's length: If you were paring it down to an "appropriate" length, what scenes would you choose to cut?

FredK

Second Unit
I'd cut most of the stuff that had to do with the 2 Birtish soldiers and the 2 buddy pirates. The lead cast did a fine job bringing levity to the action, why have 2 additional comic relief bits that were mostly unfunny groaners anyway?

But I'd put in some longer cuts in the action scenes so my overall running time would balance out. I saw it a second time and when the BP first attacks I can't forgive the editing when a cannon is fired and it cuts directly to an explosion without a cool whistling cannonball moment in between. :)

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Just came from watching Pirates. It was okay, not as good as the rave reviews make it out to be. The movie does drag after awhile, but Johnny Depp's performace as Jack Sparrow does keep the film watchable.

I have one question. Does the film just start without the Disney studio logo? I ask this because in the theater I was in the 5.1 sound wasn't working :angry: and I wanted to know if this was intentional and not a mistake on the projectionist's part.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I'd cut most of the stuff that had to do with the 2 Birtish soldiers and the 2 buddy pirates. The lead cast did a fine job bringing levity to the action, why have 2 additional comic relief bits that were mostly unfunny groaners anyway?
Yeah, the main problem I had with the movie was that I felt the movie was pulling its punches a bit by overloading the comic relief. It really made it feel like a Disney animated feature done as live action, with all the cartoony goofballs popping up and taking the edge off things. Not that Disney cartoons are bad or anything, but I was hoping for something slightly edgier, more like Raiders of the Lost Ark.

I didn't have any problem with the length of it, though. that felt fine to me :)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I just heard on the radio news this morning that Disney has completed deals with Depp, Knightley and Bloom for a Pirates of the Caribbean II. No mention of Rush, but then, I have not seen the movie so not sure what happens to him.

Peace Out~:D

Gruson

Second Unit
I guess I am one of the few that hated this film. I thought it was very boring, had no real drama and way too much forced humor.

0 out of 5 stars here. I wanted to leave within 15 minutes of the movie.....wish I would have.

Alex S

Second Unit
Ron-P,

I heard they have Rush for the sequel too.
I saw it last night and thought it was great too.

As far as taking young kids, I have 2 daughters 6 and 12.
My 6 year old has been asking me to take her since she saw the 1st commercial on tv. My 12 year old has been back and forth.

I wound up just taking me 6 year old last night.
She isn't afraid of anything.
She wasn't the least bit scared of the movie.
I think the movie would have scared my 12 year old more because she would have had nightmares.
Younger kids don't know enough yet to be afraid.

There was a lot of sword fighting but hardly any blood or gore. The skeletons were more comical than scary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks