What's new

*** Official PHANTOM OF THE OPERA Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Ernest said this, over in the DVD thread:

She has the right on-screen presence for Carlotta, but the dubbed singing might be too problematic after Chicago. I doubt many people believe that it's actually Minnie Driver singing, but it's not really incongruous, as it would be if someone whose singing voice is now well known were to be seen singing like that on-screen.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
I also don't think C S-J "looks" right for the part. I know she's Welsh by birth, but by appearance she looks to be Hispanic. Gorgeous woman and very talented, but not the right appearance I think for an 18th century French opera diva.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I've just watched the dvd (which I'm not really commenting on, so my post belongs here) and was fulfilled and dissapointed. Emmy Rossen was fabulous and I kinda liked the Phantom's singing voice though would have preferred something more akin to Crawford. Antonia Banderas would have been terrible, in my opinion. But then I didn't like him in Evita, either.

However, on stage, I thought M. Crawford oozed sex appeal and magnetism. I believed he could control the mind of a young girl. I never bought into that with Butler. I saw the Phantom on stage as a sort svengali who controlled Christine with his will. Totally lacking here. I have always though many of the effects, like candles rising from the water, were created in Christine's mind by the power of his will.

Now a question regarding the ending. My memory (a bit fuzzy I'm sure) of the ending is that Christine does not go away with Raoul. She stays with the Phantom or at least tries to and perhaps dies in the process. That is why he is so tragically alone at the end, so wanting to posses the music box to remember Christine. He has grown old without her.

Do I remember it incorrectly? I suspect so, since no one here has indicated the ending is different from the musical.

BradWOO

Stunt Coordinator
In the stage musical, Christine does leave on the boat with Raoul. The Phantom sits on his chair and covers himself with his cloak. The mob climbs down the gate and Meg Giry pulls the cloak away, revealing only the mask lying on the chair. She holds up the mask and the curtain closes.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Yes, when I remembered the Phantom disappears while in a chair, I should have realized Christine couldn't have gone away with him.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I rented it and saw it yesterday. Wow! I have never seen the play so I can't compare the two but I did really enjoy it. Emmy Rossen was fantastic and I thought her singing was fantastic. I dont know if it was Gerard Butler or just the character of the Phantom but I thought I would be routing for the guy more. I didn't much care for him. I did like Patrick Wilson alot. I saw him in Angels in American last year and didn't even recognize him here at first. Who knew he could sing? After doing research I found out that he has song on Broadway for years. Boy is he talented! He's got a new fan here.
I rented the movie and only got one disc so I think I may buy the movie so I can see the rest of the material.
On a side note, I think it was a disgrace that Rosen wasnt allowed to sing at the Academy Awards. Beautiful voice.

A nitpick if I ever heard one. Driver did fine with the character. I wish she got more work.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Emmy Rossum wouldn't have sung at the Oscars in any event, since the nominated song was the one from the final credits, "Learn to be Lonely," which was sung there by Minnie Driver. It wasn't a matter of banning her from singing at the Oscars.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks