What's new

Official Panasonic DMP-BD10 Blu-Ray player thread (1 Viewer)

GoldenRedux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony

That is too bad, but if it doesn't have any detectable adverse affect on the sound, I suppose it's not a big deal, It would surely be a nice feature though. :)

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Congrats, Ben!

If not 1080p 24, what?
And how does it 'transfer' the 1080p 24 to the units 'native' output?
Thanks & have fun in HD land.

Edit:
Opps!
Sorry.
I linked to this review from the home page. Did not know it was in the "Blu-Ray Owners" forum, till after I posted.
Mods, remove if non-owners can't post here.
Thanks.

Duncan Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
have just ordered one of these players.

Can you please tell me the type of power cord that goes into it. Is it like a PC one (as with the HD-DVD players).

I need to know because I have to see whether one of my old step down transformers will work.

thanks!

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams
The Panny outputs 1080p/60... I would assume that the Sigma image processing chip contained in the Panny is responsible for adjustments to the output stage. I could be wrong on this, so if anyone here has any input on this, it would be much appreciated.

Anyway, the Panny outputs 1080p/60 from the HDMI port. 1080i is the highest resolution allowable through the component output. Also, the player will not allow you to even select 1080p from the setup menu unless it is connected via HDMI to a 1080p compatable display.

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams

It is not a PC power cord, but a smaller removable design identical to what was used on my Denon DVD players. I've also seen this type of power cord on Playstation. I'll post a photo this evening for clarification.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Stellar review Ben thanks! Now quit answering questions and go enjoy that new gear. :D

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Questio regarding the pcm7.1 capabilities... how many cables does it take to have full advantage of pcm7.1? Pcm5.1 uses 6 cables that connect to the receiver so does pcm7.1 use 8 cables or 6 and will pcm7.1 work with existing receivers then? If the player has inhouse capabilities to process ddtrue hd and dts lossless then will it work with existing receivers that only have hdmi 1.1 capability and not hdmi 1.3?

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams

You will need a total of 8 cables to take advantage of 7.1. Your receiver needs to have 7.1 inputs as well. If your receiver only has 5.1 inputs, then you are limited to 5.1 sound. The player will do all of the processing, so this will work with existing receivers. If you want to send the multi-channel info via HDMI, then you will need a receiver with an HDMI input and the capability of processing advanced audio formats. I do believe, however, that 7.1 PCM can be sent and handled properly by any current receiver with HDMI inputs. No additional processing is required as PCM audio is the equivalent of sound from a CD player.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Nice. My Sammy is inaudible as well, which was a major factor me. Another aesthetic question: are there a lot of lights on the unit itself and can they be dimmed?

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams

The unit has few lights save one annoying blue light on the front panel that is illuminated whenever a blu-ray disc is played. There is also a digital readout that gives the current time into the particular movie. Fortunately, when the unit is set in "Dim" mode, the blue light is disabled and the readout is very dim. So, none of it is distracting in the least.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
No such feature on the Sammy :frowning:. Anyway, sounds like the Panny is a winner. Enjoy!

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
This is very encouraging. Reminds me of the good 'ol days of DVD when we all looked for the highest quality player instead of picking one up for $70 at Wal-Mart!

I'll have to keep my eye on the Pannys. I'm also looking forward to to the Pioneer and Sony models, but Panasonic put out some really good DVD players before they cheaped out I'm guessing the Sony will play SACD as well? Not that it much matters as I have one SACD disc, but why not get more out of those analog outputs?

I want to wait until 3rd generation. My only fear is the mutichannel analog outputs will disappear down the road, and I want to get those since I'm not looking to upgrade my receiver anytime soon.

Question: Are the DD and DTS lossless codecs really capable of being processes in the player and passed over the MC analog outs? I thought those would be digital or HDMI only, and just the PCM would be available on the analogs. It would be really cool if they were available via analog since it makes all those 5.1/7.1-ready receivers worth keeping, especially if the PCM tracks don't hang around.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Less then $1,300, sure but I'm going to wait until I can find one for at least half that. If it takes a year so be it, I'm in no hurry and there are very, very few BD titles out now that I'd even buy.

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams

Apparently, the Panny is now getting pretty hard to get. Crutchfield is now sold out of the unit and so are most B&M stores. So, I wouldn't count on significant price breaks anytime soon.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I'd expect price breaks right before they release their 2nd-generation model. :)

My 2nd gen Toshiba DVD player could be had for $400 after initially debuting at $800 back in the day. Of course, that "flagship" wasn't even DTS capable. Ahh, the old days.

GoldenRedux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony

I don't know, I'm thinking we'll see some deals for the holiday shopping season. The Samsung is already dropping below the $600 mark is some places, even lower for refurbs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks