What's new

*** Official *** Outlaw 950 questions thread (1 Viewer)

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Thanks Serge, I did find in the manual were it talks about it (page 31, Surround Data Format Lock) but it does say: "The Model 950 will automatically set the surround format based on the signal it receives from the selected source." My 950 is not doing that. When it detects the DTS signal it does not change to that format, it stays in stereo mode.

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Mark,
Hmmm, that sounds a bit odd. My 950 swaps formats like it was going out of style:) when in auto detect mode.
So what your saying is that if you played a CD in stereo mode, then put in a DTS DVD, it stays in stereo mode? What inputs are you using? I don't know if I missed that info earlier. I think the auto detect only works in the digital inputs (I think?). If you are using the analog inputs, it should pick stereo as the default format.
If you're using the digital inputs, I'd say give the Outlaws a call as something may be wrong. They're much more familiar with how it should work than I am. I haven't had much of a chance to play with all of the settings yet.
Bob

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Bob, I am using the optical digital input on the 950 for my Pioneer 300 Disc CD changer. And it is very strange indeed. I either have a defective one or there is a bug in the code. I am going to mess with this more and also try to simulate the problem with the digital coax with my trusty old Panasonic A110 and see if I have the same problem. After that it maybe time to call in to the big boys! ;)
Back to the testing.... stay tuned....

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Same problem using the digital coax input. When a regular CD is inserted and played back in stereo mode and then a DTS CD in inserted and played back it detect the DTS bit stream but plays the CD in Stereo mode instead of DTS mode. If you switch the surround mode to DTS and then put a regular CD in and play it back, the 950 goes into PLII-C mode. Can a few others with 950's and DTS CD’s test this and confirm for me.

Thanks,

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Mark,

I figured as much since you look like a long time poster. I know that I've done some bonehead things so I hope I didn't offend you by asking that question.

I would definitely say that you've got a problem. I don't have any DTS disks so I can't help out there but I suspect it's faulty.

Bob

W

Will

I have both DTS and regular Redbook CD?s in my 300 disc changer and if I set the CD input to DTS when a regular CD plays it goes into PLII-C?
I have a similar problem. I was just going to ask what to do about it but then I read others are having this problem as well. I have a Panasonic RP-91, the connection to my 950 uses coaxial cable. Can anybody play DTS audio CD's on their 950?

W

Will

I am unable to get my 950 to DTS decode any DTS audio-only CD. I think Mark Knight has the same problem with his 950. I'm using a coax connection to my RP-91. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Bruce, how did you get your 950 to decode DTS on your DTS audio-only CD, with a coax connection to your RP-91?

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Just to clarify, I am able to playback DTS audio CD's. The 950 just does not switch to the DTS surround mode automatically like it should. It has to be manually selected and then when a regular CD is played back the 950 switches to PL-IIC.

Will I would check the DTS bit stream output setting on your RP-91. I know my A110 has a setting for DTS and the default is off and has to be selected to on for DTS to be outputted.

Bruce Cadotte

Stunt Coordinator
not to be a smart ass but all i did was grab one of my DTS Police CD's put it in and it worked,now i will say that this is my third 950 unit(first 2 the Optical input would not lock-dropout's on my Dish receiver)so maybe you should call Outlaw about the problem they are great to work with,by the way have you tried a DTS movie and did it work?

W

Will

You guys were right. Thanks. My RP-91 wasn't set up to handle DTS. Now it is. I'm glad it was something simple! DTS audio now works fine. Except after playing DTS when I play regular CD's the 950 switches to PLII-C not what it was originally set to, which in my case was NEO-M. No big deal. I just have to remember to switch it back to NEO-M. Thanks for your help!
By the way, in the same menu area of the RP-91, I noticed its Re-Mastering feature which digitally converts the 44.1 kHz/16 bit CD audio to 88.2kHz/24 bit audio and has these modes:
RE-MASTER 1: Sharp accoustic imaging. Best suited for pop and rock.
RE-MASTER 2: High clarity sound. Best suited for jazz.
RE-MASTER 3: Smooth and full sound. Best suited for classical music.
RE-MASTER OFF: Original audio quality.
Have you guys with the RP-91 and the 950 experimented with the RP-91's Re-Mastering?

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Bruce, after listening to the DTS CD, if you put in a regular CD, which mode does the 950 go into to?

Will, I see yours does the exact same as mine.

W

Will

I bet recently discovered bugs like this won't be in the next eeprom version burn. Chances are those bugs won't be in the Sherbourn / Atlantic Technology clones of the 950.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
"I've heard the 950 can't remember settings for specific inputs. That it has global memory only. Is this true?"

For the specific inputs, the 950 remembers the format but not the volume. So when I want to watch TV or VCR, it's always DPLII-C and CD would be stereo. However, the volume is always the way you left it.
I read this entire thread and didn't see the answer. I'm sorry if this had already been resolved, but what's the final verdict on the "input specific settings" issue? I had the same question a few weeks ago and called Outlaw. I wanted to know that, if I selected the input for CD and had it set as "stereo," then selected "DVD," the setting would be "5.1" (or whatever I set the DVD input as). The Outlaw rep said that is how the 950 works, but I wanted to make sure that a 950 owner could confirm this. Unfortunately, I don't see a consensus on this topic...HELP!!!

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Ron,

I posted the first quoted statement and later in the thread, I had been mistaken in that general comment.

In a nutshell:

- the volume settings (speakers, sub) are global and are not memorized per input nor by sound format. Note that there were comments in other threads mentioning that in DTS mode, users had to turn down the sub levels (when compared to DD). Some would have liked to have the volume memorized per format as I recall.

- the sound format is memorized PER input. The apparent exception that if you use your DVD player as a CD transport using the digital connections w/auto detect on, the 950 will change the format to what the source is (CD or DVD). In all other cases, it will remember the last format used for that input.

Does everyone else (who has a 950) have the same conclusion?

Bob

W

Will

the volume settings (speakers, sub) are global and are not memorized per input nor by sound format. Note that there were comments in other threads mentioning that in DTS mode, users had to turn down the sub levels (when compared to DD). Some would have liked to have the volume memorized per format as I recall.

I frequently change the sub level, not necessarily between DD and DTS but between movies and music and between different movies, or within a movie. I don't mind the idea of changing the sub level. But I wish it was easier to do on the 950.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Fellas!

I'm really not too concerned about the volume settings being global...that's fine. I'm also using a dedicated CD player, so I should be okay on that one as well.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Are there direct IR codes for the multi-room function, or from the second room do I need to really hit menu and go through the menus from a remote room to turn it on, select a source and adjust the volume? The long way doesn't make sense. I feel like there has to be direct IR input and volume controls for multi room. Can anyone confirm this?
1) I too am curious about this. Is it possible to make direct changes to the multiroom output via remote, without entering setup menus (which you wouldn't be able to see from a second room anyway).

2) I wondered (and I am not too optimistic, as the 1050 didn't offer this either, but)- can the 950 allow you to switch audio and video independently, like a Denon? What I mean is, can I get the video from a video game machine on input 2, while listening to audio from the CD input?

If not, is there any chance such and option would be incorporated into an upgrade or a later version? I know it sounds silly, but this is actually a deal breaker for me- as I use the ability on my Denon all the time!

3) Does this unit have a LFE Pad toggle? Does it have individual ones for DTS and DD? I didn't see it in the options menu in the manual, so I wondered.

4) Does Outlaw offer a rack mount version, or rack kit (or plan to?)?

5) On the topic of auto detection and surround formats- will the unit simply give you what it gets? What I mean is, I would like to set a standard format for 2 channel sources, and then have it simply auto toggle for DD and DTS when presented. Right now, with the denon- that's exactly how it works. I have Pro-Logic on, it engages Pro Logic for any 2 channel inputs from the DVD player... if it sees DD, it gives me DD, and if it sees DTS, it gives me DTS.

From what I've read here, it's possible that I could feed it a DTS stream, and have it decode it as Stereo or DPL2 if I don't specifically say it is DTS-- which seems silly.

6) Does this unit detect DPL flagging in digital streams? I have never owned a DD product which did- but I have seen ones which can actually see a difference between DD2.0 stereo and DD2.0 intended for pro logic... wondered if the 950 can detect this flagging?

7) Does the digital output pass PCM versions of what it gets from the Analog input, or does it only work when being fed a digital signal?

8) Is the T.COMP basically THX re-eq (or Denon Cinema Re-EQ) by a different name?

9) What's the waiting list like? If I signed up today, is there any chance I'd see a unit before August?

Thanks

Vince

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Vince, I am sorry but I will try to give you the answers to the best of my knowledge. As you can imagine it should be pretty bleak. :)
1. Sorry, I honestly don't know this since I don't use a second zone. I have heard it is almost a useless feature though.
2. Absolutely. That is so key for me as well. Watching sports or playing video games is essential. My old pioneer wouldn't let me do that and it really sucked.
3. I am not sure I understand your question and that would lead me to believe the answer is no. It is not real user friendly for switching bass on the fly. Its not too bad if you ask me, but to each his own I guess.
4. I believe I read this awhile ago but I think Outlaw has officially said that there will not be a rack mounted version. I am only about 70 percent sure on that one. I believe it is buried in one of their many newsletters from the last year.
5. I am pretty sure the auto detect does a good job. I still have to choose DTS on the dvd player because most dvds default to DD. If I choose it on the dvd player it always plays DTS. Now, if you put in a DTS cd I don't know what would happen because I don't own any. I would imagine it would auto detect it but I have no experience to back that up. Just guessing from my dvd and dss experiences.
6. I really have no idea but I would be curious to find this out. Based on my knowledge I would say no, but then just look at this incomplete list and you know the extent of my knowledge.
7. Someone else is going to have to field this one. :)
8. Yes, T.COMP is supposed to be Outlaws version of re-EQ.
9. I would say yes, but don't ever hold me to an outlaw date. They sent out letters to everyone on the list updating when they would be expecting their 950. I believe the consensus was it was much shorter than originally believed.
I hope that helped in some small way considering how incomplete it was. Someone else will be able to fill in the blanks I am sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks