What's new

Official Oscar Nominations and Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I was reading Jim Emerson's Scanners blog, and he had a link to YouTube, where someone has posted the infamous Snow White / Rob Lowe performance from the 1989 Oscars. So I thought I would post it here, just to help prepare everyone for the show. No matter what happens tonight, nothing can possibly be worse than this.

Personally, I was quite glad to see it. I've often heard it referred to, but never seen it (I was 11 when it aired, and really had no interest in the awards at the time). And now I have seen it, I can honestly say that it is truly appalling.

Less than one hour to go.

Janna S

Second Unit
The show is tape-delayed here, so it won't start on TV here for 3 more hours. What's the best site on the net to monitor the show live?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
eh, worst opening in years.
i like ellen but zzzzzz.

and that opening film who were those people.couldnt they have put a name below each of them.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Did anyone hear of some sort of leak on the Best Director award? I'll put the below in spoilers in case you don't want to know who wins.

I read at another forum that someone (in the media?) posted that Lucas, Coppola and Spielberg would be given out the Best Director award. Having all three there certainly points to Scorsese finally winning.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I like her monologue, but wasn't too crazy about the opening film.

I do love the idea of celebrating the nominees this time around.

--
H

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member
Alan Arkin may have had a smallish role in LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE (2006) but, boy, am I glad he finally got the Oscar! If anything, it means Eddie Murphy didn't get it...:)!

Hopefully, Peter O'Toole will likewise emerge triumphant at long last...even if, like Arkin, VENUS (2006) is hardly his best work.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Ok, please, Al and Leo.....not presenting......just up ther for a global warming preach session. Uhhhgghh. I know it's important and everything, but is it really necessary to have a special PSA about it?

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
"The Departed was based on Infernal Affairs, a Japanese film..."

WTF?!?! How could such a blatant error happen at the Oscars?! I guess no one who was writing the "trivia" had actually seen the film...

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
Man, I can't stand Ellen doing this. Her jokes are nothing but bombs. This last bit I was hoping that Clint Eastwood would pull out his .44 Magnum and blow her head clean off.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
A few minor upsets so far:

Alan Arkin for best supporting actor
Happy Feet for best animated feature
Pan's win in cinematography (I really thought Children of Men would have gotten this award after being shut out in a few other categories, damn Universal for their non-support of this film)

Big upset:
The Lives of Others wrestles the Best Foreign film from Pan's.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan

They've goofed left and right. Check out their film summaries on OSCAR.com. Here is what they had for Superman Returns (keep in mind, I copied and pasted):

"Following a five-year absence, Superman returns to his old haunts to find that a strong campaign has developed against him...led by his one-time love, Lois Lane. Now married and a mother, Lois insists that the world can get along quite well without the caped superhero, until he thwarts the attempt of his old nemesis, Lex Luthor, to crasht he space shuttle on which she is a passenger."

ummmm...

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
The montages have been pretty good. Not surprised Mr. Tornatore uses Morricone's Legend of 1900 score for the foreign language film montage, especially on this night.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member

Winning technical awards doesn't mean it's a great film.

Pan's Labyrinth was a decent film, but The Lives of Others was a great one. It's in my Top 5 of the year.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
That was my reaction to Pan's as well, good film, not a great film, but it sure did look great, and its makeup award is deserved as well.

This has been a crazy night of winners tonight.

Jennifer Hudson does what Eddie Murphy couldn't in his category, she wins Best Supporting Actress.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks