What's new

*** Official Oscar Nominations and Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Grizzly Man didn't even make the finalist list to be nominated. Easily the most disappointing development of the award season, but I've complained about it enough.

:emoji_thumbsup:
Hustle & Flow nom's, particularly Terrence Howard who I didn't think would make it.

Amy Adams who steals every scene she's in.

Animation category

:thumbsdown:
Crash
no Jeff Daniels nom

As always I feel there are a number of better films than those nominated, though this will be a rare year when the film that I like best of the nominees is the likely winner.

This is also the first year since I started seriously watching movies that I haven't seen a single one of the foreign film nominees.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I've never been a John Williams fan, so I don't jump for joy whenever I see his name, let alone twice. I don't think of him as a great composer or anything. Apparently "Brokeback Mountain" has an unworthy score....I hope it or any other non-Williams score wins, out of spite...but if he does win, then good for him, and good for his fans.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I'm a tad miffed that Batman Begins wasn't nominated for Best Picture! Yes, I think that it's THAT good.

Ah well, these types of award shows are essentially meaningless anyway, just glorified opinions of others on what's good or bad and a chance for celebs to show how sinfully rich they are.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Made my day! :D

I guess I'll have to break down and see "Narnia" now to see these amazing effects. ;)

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
:thumbsdown: to Match Point getting the shaft (and especially Scarlett Johansen).

:thumbsdown: to the shafting that is Brokeback Mountain.

:emoji_thumbsup: to the rally of sorts for Munich (even though it won't win squat).

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member

As crazy as this sounds, it's not ridiculous to assume that similar attitudes abound among members of the Academy.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Shawn and PaulP, you're both predicting a Brokeback shutout? Seriously? Are those Predictions or Hopefullys?

Not

Going

To

Happen

Brokeback will not be shut out. At the VERY LEAST, Ang Lee will go home with an Oscar. I predict it for Best Picture, Director, and Adapted Screenplay. I'm not sure what else at this point. I don't believe any of the actors will win (I'm thinking Hoffman, Huffman and Clooney).

Personally, I think 2005 was a fantastic year for movies, and these are great nominations, and not boring in the slightest. There are some I don't think should be there (Crash for BP) and things I wish had been nominated (The New World instead of Crash, Terrence Malick instead of Paul Haggis, Star Wars for VFX, among others) but on the whole I'm a very happy movie geek.

I think it's hilarious how if someone's favorite films are nominated, the Oscars are fantastic and wonderful! but if favorites are snubbed, then the Oscars are boring and meaningless and all about circle-jerking and showing off. Every single year we hear this stuff, just like clockwork. THAT'S what's boring.

I don't think anyone cares if the Oscars will be lower-rated this year. Well, the producers and sponsors probably care, but it's not as if the Oscars will go away if it doesn't get Titanic-year numbers. Those were artificially inflated, as were the LOTR years. There will always be Oscars, and some years will have more viewers than others. The individuals who are sitting at their kitchen tables with a pencil in one hand and a nomination ballot in the other aren't thinking about Box Office Mojo's stats, and ratings/shares, they're thinking about the movies. These aren't the People's Choice Awards, it's peers rewarding peers. They did well.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member

Ask Amy Adams, Terrence Howard, and Bennett Miller how rich they are. Many nominees have done well for themselves, but I'd bet the only one truly *rich* is Steven Spielberg. Heath Ledger and Michelle Williams live modestly in Brooklyn. I'll bet David Strathairn isn't rolling in dough from his acting. I wonder how many of the actors besides Reese Witherspoon and Charlize Theron make over a million a picture. The Tech people certainly don't, and the Oscars are the only times their occupations are given shout outs in front of the general public. You have to figure that most if not all of the Foreign Language and Documentary and Shorts folks still think about paying the rent/mortgages. I wonder how many of the Screenplay nominees don't have to think about budgets to make sure they are covered between sales (other than George Clooney, and even he's pretty much given up super high-paying roles in favor of smaller, do it for the love projects. His salary for directing Good Night and Good Luck was $1. That's right, a whole dollar. His salary from Oceans Twelve probably paid his bills.

Most actors aren't rich (most are dirt poor). Most directors aren't rich. Most writers aren't rich. Most tech people aren't rich. If they work enough they can do well, better than the average person, but they still work project to project, and only a few of them have the luxury of being secure in the knowledge that a project will always be there waiting for them after they finish the one they're working on. It's a tough business, and to paint everyone with a brush meant for only a visible few is unfair.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member

Well, I agree with this. The Oscars are a great focal point for discussing the various merits of different films. I don't think you should write them off just because your favorite films didn't get nominated. Rather, we should seek to understand why, if possible.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I read that Terrance Howard was to make $11,000 for his work on "Hustle and Flow" (not sure if he's been paid in full yet, to this day). Yeah, Terrance is rolling in it.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Justin S, I emphatically agree with every point made in your post #80, esp the director snubs. What I would have given to see Malick and Kilcher get recognized.

Regards,
Nathan

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Vickie, great point about much of Hollywood not being rich. A tragically overlooked fact. Having spent a great deal of time in the city, I know from experience that the town is overflowing with struggling (and I mean STRUGGLING) talent, even many of the more well-known names.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I was going to say the same thing as Vickie did. In addition, is it their fault that many viewers care about what they wear and that is why the red carpet gets the coverage that it does? How can they not turn down these free outfits and jewelry to wear and why would they not want to look as nice as possible in front of millions of people?

I didn't see Malick getting a nomination for best director and NW for best pic. Kilcher did have a good chance, though.

~T

David Brown Eyes

Second Unit
NW got what it deserved cinematography.

I have no dog in this hunt. BM will probably take all 8 of the awards it is nominated for.

KK will take the technicals

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
A couple of nice surprises (Keira Knightly for P&P, Paradise Now, Murderball, Goblet Of Fire for Art Direction, Batman Begins for Cinematography), the Sith snub for Visual Effects is unforgivable. If Kong takes it, I might very well vomit. War of the Worlds is the only film I'd rate over ROTS for the year's effects, so now it HAS to win.Sums up my view pretty well, too. Of my top ten, none got nominated for BP and only one got a screenplay nod (Constant Gardener)

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

Interesting. Of my Top 10, all but 1 (Sin City) got a nomination. 4 of the 5 Pictures were in my Top 10, 3 in my top 4 (Batman Begins being the odd one out)

Kami

Screenwriter
ROTS was criminally overlooked in the Visual effects category (though I understand they had to narrow it down to 3, but it should replace Narnia).

Most of the other noms are expected and not very surprising to me. Disappointing to not see Sin City under cinematography though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks