*** Official OPEN WATER Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by LanieParker, Jun 18, 2004.

1. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

2. Jonathan White

Jonathan White Stunt Coordinator

For some reason I cannot get the trailer to work, does anyone know of a site where I can save it to my computer?

3. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

Completely agree with Mike

Very very good movie.

4. LanieParker

LanieParker Supporting Actor

Can't wait for this to go nation wide. This is one movie I am anxious to see.

5. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

ending
    Wow, they both die. Not your typical Hollywood ending

6. DavidGT

DavidGT Stunt Coordinator

todd s..would you mind telling us exactly how that happened in your ending spoiler. Some of us will not be seing it on the big screen. thanks

7. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

David - If you really want to know what happened:The guy dies. He's cut or bitten or something, but doesn't get eaten by the sharks. They go thorugh the night. Next morning, she's holding onto his dead body - I assume he died of blood loss. She decides he's dead, lets him go, and at that point, the sharks eat his corpse. She gets all lost in despair, and removes her air tank, and dives underwater. And never comes back up.

The End.

As for my view on the ending: I thought it was brilliant. I just had one issue with it. With the amount of blood loss he was experiencing, I simply do not understand why that cause the sharks to try and eat him, and why they waited until he was dead.
    But, with that one small reservation, I thought it was brilliant.

8. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

David, the following if from www.moviepooper.com

At the conclusion of the film, the porter from the ship that stranded Susan (Blanchard Ryan) and Daniel (Daniel Travis) discovers that they did not return with the rest of the tourists. An extensive rescue mission is dispatched. Meanwhile, Daniel bleeds to death due to his shark bite and Susan lets go of him after discovering that he no longer has a pulse. Sharks ravage his body and pull him beneath the surface. Because of Daniel's decaying body, several sharks begin to circle close to Susan. Unaware that the rescue teams are out to find her, she allows herself to sink beneath the surface of the ocean, finally giving up. As the credits roll, a man guts a shark and in the stomach finds Susan's yellow waterproof camera. He ponders, "I wonder who this belongs to," and the credits proceed.
    Thanks, Johnny H and Katie L!

9. DavidGT

Thanks fellas for the ending spoiler description. Seems like this movie just wants to put the audience in pins and needles most of the time without any change of pace or direction.
    That's what's great about Jaws and Alien. It gives you different looks.

10. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Impressive that you could make this assessment without having seen the film. [​IMG]

11. DavidGT

The movie is barely 90 min. Majority of the time they're both floating in the ocean.
    You don't have to be a mind reader do you?
    Which what I meant as not much change of pace or direction.
    It's like phone booth.

12. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

If you'd seen the film, you'd know that's not accurate. There's substantial time spent on subjects other than two people floating in the ocean. It takes about 25 minutes before you even get to that point, and then the filmmakers routinely cut away to other elements. A large part of what makes the film so effective is the inclusion of this additional material and the skill with which it's edited.

M.

13. DavidGT

Ok well maybe I COULD be wrong. But that's also what reviewers like Ebert & Roper said that most of 80 min of film were those 2 in the ocean.
    And again to re-emphasize the contrast with Jaws and Alien there were a lot of different character interactions that takes you away and back. Im not saying it's a bad thing just making comparisons.

14. Michael Reuben

Ebert and Roeper said no such thing. You can replay their review here. In fact, Ebert said the movie really got to him, because he felt himself more and more drawn into "this absurd predicament" in which the couple finds themselves.

Jaws and Alien are very different. Both of them had an honest-to-goodness monster stalking people. There's no monster in Open Water; the sharks, jelly fish and other aquatic life are just existing in their natural element. The "predicament" (to use Ebert's word) is simply abandonment, and the drama comes from watching these two obviously intelligent and capable people struggle to hold themselves together as the hours pass and the situation grows ever more grim.

M.

15. DavidGT

Yes Michael I know. I don't need that link because I still have their show on my tivo. And they did say such things. And yes Ebert was ga ga over the film, I never said it was negatively reviewed.
    They said it was a very short film runs approx 80 mins and that if mainly focuses on those 2 intracting with each other. That's basically what Im saying.

16. Michael Reuben

So now they're not in the ocean, but it's a 2-character drama (which I think is an accurate description). If you think you can intelligently assess a 2-character drama you haven't seen, it's your call.

M.

17. DavidGT

Ok...agreed. It's miller time.

18. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

Am I the only one that wants to see it again? [​IMG] I have a few friends that want to go and I'm thinking of going again this week.

19. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

When is it opening in Sacramento? Is there a site for Open Water?

Thanks

Matt

20. Michael Reuben