What's new

*** Official MUNICH Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

MikeRS

Screenwriter
David Ansen put it in his top ten of the year (#8)

Newsweek

Quotation of entire review deleted by moderator. See HTF Rule 10. - MR

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson

Not true. He said it was a perfectly good movie that was still hanging with him the day after he saw it. He just didn't think it was an Oscar contender and has been hilighting the negative responses in his blog.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Here is a really good LA Times article.

Also, the official Munich website has been updated with a lot of new content including a short video (Steven Spielberg Newswrap) which has Spielberg discussing his motivations.

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
I'm interested to see whether he mentions the Lillehammer debacle or not... One thing I found hilarious is how the JDF is pretty much branding spielberg an anti semite for making the movie, which is kind of ironic.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
It's unfortunate that this is only out in 400 or so theaters this weekend. It will do pretty decent business, but likely not to reach the top 3 or maybe even 5 this weekend in totals. Hopefully they expand next weekend because this is my most anticipated film of the year!

I asked for the book "Striking Back" (which came out this week) for Christmas so hopfully I will have that to hold me over.

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
Am I the only one who thought that the ADR work was a little rough on this film? There were times when the dialogue (particularly some lines spoken by Daniel Craig and Geoffrey Rush) didn't sound very natural or sync up very well. Maybe this was intentional on Spielberg's part to approximate that rough '70s feel, but it was a little jarring to me.

As for the rest of the film... I'm a huge fan of Spielberg, but I do not feel that this ranks as one of his strongest films. That being said, I do want to spotlight two moments from the film that I found memorable:

In the scene where Avner is in the hospital holding his new baby girl, he says something to his wife to the effect of "Home for me has always been with you". She responds with a laugh, saying that it's a "corny line" and that she married a sentimentalist. Since Spielberg has been accused of being a sentimentalist, I think he chose this moment to poke a little fun at himself.

The final shot, with Avner walking away and the Twin Towers coming into view, is absolute perfection. It's an absolutely haunting image that makes the film far more than just a film about 1972-1973. I also love the way that the score swells up with this shot, after being mostly in the background during the rest of the film.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Technically, and as a thriller, this is a very good film. And, Bana is really exceptional.

But, morally, politically, and philosophically, I am diametrically opposed to Spielberg's POV. I do not believe in the moral equivalence argument. I think it leads down a naive and dangerous road. But, that is all I will say regarding the subject due to forum rules.

I would recommend seeing it with the very important caveat that it is likely nowhere near the truth of what the real men went through and that it presents an argument that you may not agree with.

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
Maybe not the other men involved in the 3 teams of kidon that did the assassinations, but this could have been the way the "real" Avner felt. Of course it remains to be seen whether Avner is a real person or not. It is interesting to hear the backlash on this book/movie, saying this isn't how it happened, etc, but it is pretty widely known that there were kidon teams sent out to kill the perpetrators of the Olympics massacre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks