What's new

*** Official MONSTERS INC. Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Guy Martin

Second Unit
This article from Variety seems to indicate that the placement of the Ep 2 teaser with Monsters Inc was a special deal between good friends Lucas and Steve Jobs (head honcho of Pixar when he isn't running Apple). And yes it did irk some people at both Disney and Fox. It also seems that the Shrek THX trailer was kiboshed for the same reason. Remember Pixar was originally a division of Lucasfilm until George sold it to his buddy Steve.
Link Removed
- Guy

DavidAC

Stunt Coordinator
First of all I thought Monsters Inc. was suppose to be a kiddie movie. I can understand that maybe it might not be as good as Toy Story 1 or 2 but its not really a movie looking to appeal to adults. I didnt think Toy Story was looking to appeal to adults and was very much a kids movie. Now Shrek was a movie that could appeal to both adults and kids.
As for the Ep II teaser I really dont know why people are getting so upset over this. Its just a special deal that Disney worked out with LucasFilm for an exclusive first peek at AotC. So what if its only like 30 sec long and doesnt have an impact on you, its not really suppose to because the real teaser trailer comes with Harry Potter. I think people are looking at this like Lucas is screwing them when in fact he really should only be releasing one trailer this month, Id rather have three.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Bottom line: Does the teaser have lightsabers in it?
If so I am happy :)
I'll go see Monsters Inc, and enjoy it, probably like I did Bug's Life, which I felt was not up to TS quality either. Oh well, even Pixar can't get it 100% all the time!
The full Ep2 teaser will be attached to Harry Potter, in the meantime, I can only pray that there's a 35mm version of the Buffy the Musical teaser waiting to play during the ads at the theater, ESPECIALLY on the IMAX :)
Jeff Kleist

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
CNN has similar feelings about Monsters Inc.
(CNN) -- "Monsters, Inc.," the latest animated production from the folks at Disney and the Pixar Animation Studio, will be a solid hit and will surely do well on DVD and video. But on the whole, the film lacks the heart, depth, and breath of those studios' previous successes, "Toy Story" (1995), "Toy Story 2" (1999), and "A Bug's Life" (1998) -- which earned a combined total of $1.2 billion dollars worldwide.
While the film's sweet, simplistic storyline will hold up for young audiences, "Monsters, Inc." lacks the all-important edgy layer of adult humor, so vital to Dreamworks' mega-hit "Shrek."
http://www.cnn.com/2001/SHOWBIZ/Movi...ers/index.html

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
:) after reading all this thread. Lighten up people.
After the lukewarm reviews I have seen, I expect that the kiddies will like it and that I will still be buying it, for them more than for me, but that's fine.
I am looking forward to the full trailer for Episode 2. At least I fully expect that to be more than eye flash scenes and no music as Ron states for the teaser.
When are the dates on the Star Wars exclusive website for the release of the various trailers.
------------------
Link Removed
------------------
My Favourite DVD's

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
It's pretty well established now that there will be three trailers coming out in the near future. The MONSTERS, INC. trailer is, indeed, a teaser; clocking in at just about a minute. There is also a much longer teaser coming to the official website on November 9, however there is some speculation that only those who bought the Ep. 1 dvd and have a DVD-ROM drive will be able to view it on that day. That trailer does include the "cheesy" dialogue. The third trailer is expected to be in front of HARRY POTTER on the 16th. I think it is safe to assume that another trailer will hit the Internet and theaters before Ep. II arrives in May.
I think that the studios are being crybabies about this whole thing. Lucas is an independent filmmaker and can tattoo his trailers on JarJar's ass if he so desires. Fox has had to beg, borrow and steal to get the distribution rights for Ep II and, I feel certain, will make a pretty penny from it, even taking into consideration the money they will give to Lucas.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Isn't anyone worried that Episode 2 is being attached to a little kiddie movie? I hope that doesn't mean, oh no!
frown.gif

------------------
norm.jpg

Link Removed
Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
I will lower my expectations for Monsters Inc, which I'll probably see tomorrow. But I must say that if it is only a kiddie movie, than I doubt Pixar succeed in what they did. Unlike some others have said, I think Pixar, at least from their previous films, have shown to make family films, not kiddie ones. After Toy Story, I never walked in a Pixar film expecting a kiddie film.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
We've just walked in the door from seeing MONSTERS INC at a sneak viewing. The place was packed. My wife and I, 40-somethings, and our son and his girlfriend, both 17, absolutely loved this movie. There were A LOT of in-jokes (even adult jokes -- come on, the Abomidable Snowman scene contained a semi-crude line straight out of a Frank Zappa song, not to mention the very familiar design of the big white guy.)
The animation was amazing -- the way that Sully's furs interacted with the multitude of environments (especially the scene outside the Abomidable Snowman's home) was incredible.
This is NOT Toy Story, although some may try to compare the two. This was a fast-paced, imaginative, slap-sticky hour and a half that has a pretty cool bad guy (at least, his abilities were pretty slick). It was also very sweet movie, with a heart-touching ending.
We saw trailers for The Rookie, Return to NeverNever Land (Only in theaters!), and Attack of the Clones.
We also got these neat little antenna toppers in the shape of Mike, the one-eyed guy.
Go see it, and make up your own minds!

DavidAC

Stunt Coordinator
Isn't anyone worried that Episode 2 is being attached to a little kiddie movie? I hope that doesn't mean, oh no!
Yep thats right its aimed at the kiddies, another trailer is being attached to Harry Potter, another kiddie movie by your take, so I guess you know now Ep II wont appeal to adults so better save your money and not bother to see it when it comes out
tongue.gif

[Edited last by DavidAC on November 01, 2001 at 10:55 PM]

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Just a little trivia regarding the animation of Monster's Inc, the fur on the big blue monster is a new breakthrough in computer animation, the animators were able to create a program that actually simulate's gravity, so that the fur covering his body actually moves ON IT'S OWN without them having to animate every little hair!
They also did the same thing for cloth on the human charactors clothing. Pretty incredible.
I still want to see this film though, and as for the 'EP II' trailer, it's meaningless that it's attached to a kids film, so just relax, i'm sure the film will be great.
------------------
God bless the USA and the men and women of our military and their families!

mark_d

Second Unit
Well, I have higher hopes than before. I really didn't like Shrek at all, and if a Shrek fan didn't like this because it was too "kiddie", then that's probably a good sign. :)
The "Did you lose weight?" trailer was shown before Shrek, and I laughed more in that than in the main feature.
Biggest disappointment of the year IMO. I was looking forward to it so much, too.
Bring on Monster Inc. BTW, when does it open over here?
Mark

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Well Stephen here is a review from one of our local papers that seems to match your response:
Link Removed
------------------
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
MyHTSetup

The force.net is reporting that a trailer/teaser is getting posted to the main starwars.com site on Monday (11/5). The way I read this was it would be the teaser in front of Monsters, Inc. Food for thought (wait to view it online and wait for the DVD). Although if you want to view it Full-screen and/or download it... rumor is that you'll have to purchase the pro edition of Quicktime.
angry.gif

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
It would appear that the response for Monsters Inc. is rather lukewarm and not as good as the Toy Story films or A Bug's Life. Could it be because this is the first Pixar film not directed by John Lasseter?
Still, I'm looking forward to seeing this and the AOTC trailer tonight (projected digitally too, woo-hoo!)

Daryl Furkalo

Second Unit
I really don't think I would pay $7-$10 to see a trailer in any circumstance, that would be silly. Now to see the Buffy Musical trailer on IMAX, that is another story entirely! :)
------------------
My DVD Collection

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Well,
So far, the majority of reviewers are viewing MI in a very favorable light;
Cumulative reviews from Rotten Tomatoes.com
*RATING:*FRESH**READING:*94%

Troy
------------------
:My teacher tells me beauty is on the inside.
:That's just something ugly people say.

[Edited last by Troy LaMont on November 02, 2001 at 01:12 PM]

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Monsters Inc.". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
All HTF member film reviews of "Monsters Inc." should be posted to this thread .
Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Crawdaddy
------------------
Peter Staddon: "I didn't say you can put 'Monkeybone' back!"
[Edited last by Robert Crawford on November 02, 2001 at 02:27 PM]

Hubert

Second Unit
The reason there are some people questioning the placement of the teaser ad, is simply because there are some here that don't like Lucas. They need something to be negative towards him. I mean c'mon, what is so negative about the placement of this trailer? Nothing! If anything, Fox has made a buttload off of being associated with the SW franchise, and they have no right to be miffed at all. As for the trailer being on Monsters Inc., I see no reason for all the controversy about this trailer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks