What's new

*** Official MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE III Discussion Thread (2 Viewers)

Rollie

Stunt Coordinator
MI1: Suspense/Thriller
MI2: Action Movie
MI3: The Feel Good Romantic Comedy of the Year!

Mixed emotions. It definitely had some good action scenes and suspense, but I feel that the movie copped out. Hunt essentially retiring from IMF and becoming domestic didn't sit too well with me for starters. I also felt that the film didn't deliver on the "promises" made by the pre-credit sequence. The first scene definitely put a sense of dark foreboding into the rest of the movie, but the ending was ultimately too happy and for me didn't really pay off. It would have been better if Hoffman would have killed Jules as predicted by the opening scene. I was also REALLY hoping that we wouldn't have another rogue agent plot; as that device seems done to death the third time over.

Those are my gripes. Other than that, I too was impressed by the scenes in Rome as well as the Bridge shoot-out. Good stuff. What was that gun that Cruise used on the bridge?

WilliamG

Supporting Actor

I too, was a HUGE fan of the original series, and was very happy to see and hear (via music cues) more of a tribute to it than the past two movies. And I have to say something about the people viewing the movie last night ... it was truly a PLEASURE to have- for ONCE - a "hip" crowd! Everyone 'got it'. When the aforementioned cues hit, people were reacting audibly; "ooh's and ahh's" and the occasional "all ...RIGHT!' could be heard.

But one of the biggest pleasures of the night was seeing the full trailer for "Superman"! ... only this is a M:I:iii thread, so I digress! sorry :)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I really wished that in MI:I that they should have made Cruise's character Mr.Phelps. And then when he was betrayed by his leader. He would become the head. Just didn't like how they made him the bad guy.

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit

There seemed to me to be an awfully pregnant pause before that response, though. And Luther's comeback line, "Did you ever sleep with your little sister?" (which really got to the heart of the matter) was never answered.

It could go either way. If Hunt and Ferris were involved, it might add a little more meaning to her line, "Thank you, Ethan," right before . . . you know.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think there was a relationship between the two that went beyond her being like a little sister. Hopefully, when the dvd comes out, they'll have deleted scenes to at least give us some more insight to the extent of their relationship. The flashback, nightmare sequence and other scenes really suggests to the audience that there was something between them.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Speaking of the series...i thought we were going to get it on DVD when this movie came out? Or do we think it will come out when MI:3 hits DVD?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
That's a question for this thread from the TV Shows software area.

I was a little peeved by the minimal background material of Ferris and Hunt. I also would have liked to have seen more of that relationship (professional or otherwise).

I rolled my eyes a little at the British version of the "Marshall" character brought over from Alias in the character of Benji.

The Davian character seemed underwritten, far too cocky for someone "invisible" and wanted to remain so, even if he knew he'd be rescued because of his connections.

The helicopter chase felt like an old Star Wars video game.

Some of the parts in the film felt like Minority Report to me.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
First of all "The Plot" was most certainly used in the score to the first film, contrary to what J.J. Abrams seems to believe. It was done far more effectively than the "HEY LISTEN, ITS 'THE PLOT'" version that was in this film. I had high expectations for this score (because of The Incredibles) and all I got was Alias TV ques. Boo. Elfman's score for the '96 film is still by far the best in every respect.

That aside, what an awesome flick! Yes, it's very Alias--from the flash forward hook intro to the geek tech comic relief. But it wasn't so much Alias that it stopped being a Mission Impossible story, so that's fine. Most everything was well done and I had a blast. The action was exceptional, though I think the Langley break in from the first film is still a superior set piece than any of the 3 shown here. The various eye candy was plentiful and satisfying. The characters were developed just right. A truly great summer movie.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I agree with only one thing you've said and that was the lack of interaction between Ferris and Hunt.

I would venture to guess that those of us that watch little television and have no idea about Alias might enjoy this film more than those that do watch that series.

Crawdaddy

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, let's just say I'm not willing to give up on whatever enjoyment I got from the 5 seasons of Alias just to enjoy MI:III more. :)

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i thought the movie was okay. i would have to say that the first MI was probably the best directed, the second was just a mess (i hate movies that don't make sense and defy even their own logic) and the action was uninteresting. for MI3, i'm not crazy about the whole 'retiring and getting back into the fold' angle, but that doesn't make or break a movie.

i thought it was kinda funny how little Ving Rhames was used in this movie - kinda like all the names in Ocean's Twelve who just stood around and did nothing special :)

i wasn't really bothered by the lack of Ferris and Hunt stuff... i for one didn't think there was anything going on beyond the mentor/student thing.

D

DAN NEIR

As a big Alias fan I also saw alot of similarities.
Both Sid and Ethan engaged to doctors, both having to lead secret lives. Both wanted out, or in Ethan's case he was already out.
Both have Marshall or Marshall like characters.
The movie starts out like alot of Alias episodes w/ a flash forward and then we go back to see how the character got in that situation.
Both characters thought they were working for the good guys only to find out differently later. And when they were using their mission names I thought one of them was using the name "Phoenix" which was Sid's name.
Plus of course the Grunberg cameo.
Overall enjoyable but only took in 48 million this weekend, that's a little low and considering Poseidon, Da Vinci and X-3 are just around the corner the film might end up a box office disappointment.

Evan.K

Auditioning

Don't forget the part in LOST. When regular chest compressions don't work you have to use your fist.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
FYI all, check out the BO thread for ongoing Cruise-$48.5 million-what's goin' on? discussion.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
Yunno what movie this reminded me of? Tony Scott's "Enemy of the State"

Seriously. The plot wasn't all that similar, but this flick had the same sort of feel, the same sort of kinetic faux-puzzle solving visceral feel that one did. Problem being, that movie totally evaporated the instant the credits rolled. Nothing sticks. Same with this movie. I like that Abrams managed to bring a team feeling back to this thing, and Giacchino hit some nice notes, and the action sequences were shot well, for the most part, but this movie is like vapor, honestly. It dissipates almost instantly. I enjoyed it, but I have zero want to ever watch it again.

Josh.C

Second Unit
I question how anyone could think this movie was boring. I thought it was jam packed with action, but unlike MI:II, actually had a solid plot.

I thought we got just what we wanted with this one. An action packed blockbuster to kick off this summer's big budget movies, and for once, this one lived up to the hype. We are all critics in this forum, and there really is no such thing as a perfect movie, but there is such a thing as a perfect movie experience. Part of the greatness of movie watching is putting up with small imperfections for an overall feeling of satisfaction after leaving a theater.

I was pleasantly surprised with this film, and thought it was very well done. Kudos to JJ. With all of the Alias/Lost comparison's, this movie stands alone as a fine piece of work, and I know there are many of us excited to see the next project from Mr. Abrams. 4 out of 5 stars for me.

JC

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
I feel exactly like Robert Anthony...it's a near great popcorn movie but there really is no substance there at all...no overriding theme or idea that sticks with you. But it was fun and well done...and that's why it got an 8/10.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I had high expectations for the music, but it wasn't very memorable. Yet, at the end, during the slow motion sequence where Ethan was mustering his strenght (extended close up of his face), the music was in full LOST suspense mode. Pretty cool.

--
H

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer

I disagree. I think he was her mentor and was destroyed by her death. She asked him "Am I ready?" Maybe she wasn't -- and he blames himself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks