What's new

*** Official "Metal Gear Solid 2 (MGS2)" Review & Discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I just read an interview with Hideo Kojima and he said things about why he had Raiden in the game and explained why Meryl wasn't in the game, EVEN THOUGH SHE DIDN'T DIE!!! (I'm serious, he said that she didn't die).
Well, that answers my first question. A little help with the rest of my questions? :D
Of all the things said, I agree with Morgan the most. I had no problem at all with playing the Plant Chapter as Raiden. Yes it would be nice to play as Snake to see the other half of the story, but since you already know what happens and how big of a badass he is, it would really be a moot point to play him.
How many people here thought it was really sad and touching when Otacon was walking to save those people, and that parrot keeps saying "Hal, I miss you"? Brought a tear to my eye :b

Ian_Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
Personally, I thought that when EE died and Otacon started wailing over and over
was when the story took a STEEP nose-dive. I mean, the CODEC conversations have always been weak in the game (I think MGS suffered from this as well), but up until this point, the cinemas were still pretty cool. Then it just went on-and-on and got extremely preachy! How many melodramatic monologues from Otacon do we really have to sit through as he discusses his feelings on “finding love”, and why the hell do they have to throw in a sub-plot of him having an affair with his step-mom?!?!
I was laughing my ass off at how bad it was. I think they really needed somebody to come it and trim up their screenplay a bit. It’s really to bad, because I think it could have been a touching scene, but they just went too far until it became something that I was laughing at, and screaming, “ALL RIGHT! WE GET IT! CAN I PLAY THE GAME NOW?!?!”

I still think MGS2 was an excellent game. I just wish that game developers would stop thinking they can write movies (see Final Fantasy).

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I also read that Kojima wanted to focus MGS2 on the relationship between Otacon and Snake more (reason for the multiple Otacon stuffs) and wanted to give Snake some depth. If you watch Snake do something, he gets more character to his persona, but if you play as him, then he is YOU, not Snake.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I just read the entire 4-page thread and no one commented on the funny thing:
Jack and Rose in love from Titanic and Jack and Rose in love from Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty.
I enjoyed the game, but it was way too short and too much dialogue. I enjoy FMVs and the like, but this went beyond the call of duty.
Next time: Include a DVD FMV second disk for us to watch either after we play or before. Save the movie for another disc and keep the gaming on another one.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Damnit Brad W, you beat me to it.

Actually, my brother (who is just starting the game), made that comment at 3:00pm on Dec 20, 2001. That is eerie.....

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I liked how it was done. The dialogue told the story, and it was well done, IMO.

One thing that would be cool would be a movie done with the in game graphics on a separate DVD. It could chronicle the whole series up to MGS3, and then you could pop in the other DVD and play MGS3.

John Chow

Second Unit
Alrighty my comments, including possible spoilers:
1st, with regards to the whole Meryl thing, did anyone notice when Snake points at his headband and says "don't worry, infinte ammo" (or something like that). If I remember correctly, if you beat the game with the good ending, you get the infinite ammo bandana instead of the stealth suit, this seeming to indicate the good ending is the 'real' ending.
2nd, personally I didn't really mind the whole Raiden thing. Gameplay wise he mightas well be Snake, and I thought it was funny having a whining Luke Skywalker running around the plant :) Plus, it made it that much cooler when teaming up with snake, like when doing the sniper thing and running around with the machine guns. Anyone familiar with the Lodoss Wars TV anime? A friend and I just started calling Raiden Spark instead :)
Storywise I thought it was pretty good, both MGS games get borderline preachy at the end, and the last codec sequence was a bit on the long side as mentioned plenty of times. Also definitely could have done w/o the Otacon & stepmother affair.
I was kinda hoping that at the end you would get to go back to playing Snake and go after Liquid. Anyone happen to know exactly why Ocelot transplanted Liquid's hand? That didn't seem to make much sense to me. I forget exactly, but I vaguely seem to remember perhaps something happening to Ocelot's hand in the first game.

John Chow

Second Unit
Ah, that's right. So why did Ocelot stick Liquid's hand to himself? Seems kinda weird, that still doesn't make that much sense.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Supposedly its because Liquid was the only one with VR training to operate Metal Gear. Somehow grafting his arm allowed Ocelot to pick up this knowledge. (I remember reading this somewhere although I could be wrong)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Because of nano-machines, technology, and that Big Boss DNA, Liquid's knowledge could be partially absorbed by Ocelot's body, which is also why Liquid can take over his body.

I wonder if they did anything with Liquid's leg...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks