What's new

***Official MERGED "Should I get 6.1 (or 7.1) - Is it worth it?" Thread*** (1 Viewer)

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

So, no you are not "missing" anything. Not a single bit of data or sound. The problem, is, it's difficult in most situations for even a properly set up 5.1 system to image very well behind you, thus the rear channel improves this. 5.1 is still stellar, and while 6.1 provides a nice improvement, it's really up to the individual. in your case, you have a 6.1 receiver, so it wouldn't be hard to find a rear (preferably two) speaker if you have the space. For those with only 5.1 receivers, then the upgrade is much more formitable. I would err on the side of better speakers for 5.1 rather than stretched your money on crappier stuff in a 7.1 arrangement, but 6.1 is pretty nifty. You should go hear it at a dealer, or borrow/move speakers from somewhere else and experiment with it in your own system. But really, you're not missing ANY sound, nor any earth-shattering stuff going on behind you too much.

HienD

Stunt Coordinator
I just picked up an Onkyo tx-sr600 yesterday. The sound quality between it and my old pioneer d711 is very noticeable. The Onkyo gives a smoother, cleaner, fuller and more dynamic sound. I was wondering why my speakers sounded so much better in the store. I know now, it was the Onkyo amp used to demo them. This is on a $800 5.1 speaker setup. Try to get a decent 6.1 receiver if you can. If not, get a good 5.1 one.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I have the Sony TAE 9000ES Preamp which came out before 6.1.
Sony updated the SW to a virtual 6.1. Some owners have bought one of the 6.1 add ons with positive results. In my small room (10 x 12... my 6 KEFs take up a lot of space already)I doubt that it would add much except for $$$$.
We watched "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" last might in the 6.1 DTS Mode and it sounded great! The live performances were exceptional. A great way to get a 6.1 performance without the extra speakers and amps etc.
BTW I have noticed more and more 7.1+ recievers etc but never material claiming to be recorded in 7.1. Can you play 5.1 in a 7.1 mode with good results?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

You are right, other than Logic 7, there really is no real 7.1, and L7 is a processing format so it's not true 7.1 anyway. MOST of the time, when people talk of 7.1, they are just talking about 6.1 (matrix or discrete) but they are using two speakers for the rear center to eliminate the reversal effect. These two speakers play identical sound.

A smaller number of people talk of 7.1 if their receivers support a full 7.1 channels with some extra processing, similar to THX's old decorellation that was used to create slightly different sounds for the surround channels of pro logic, that otherwise would be the same. I beleive this processing is included with THX Ultra2, and many higher-up receivers have processing such that the two rear speakers play slightly different info, in which case that is a "7.1" setup, even though there are only 6.1 discrete channels (in the case of DTS ES-discrete), or matrixed-derived 6.1 channels in the case of DD-EX and DTS ES-matrix.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm with Rich and Angelo! :)
And from my personal experience, I've had more "eye-opening" experiences with the discrete ES titles than the matrixed ES and EX titles - dunno, could be just me buying into the "discrete" marketing hype.
But my fave has been FoTR EE - excellent use of the 6th channel. But definitely getting a nice quality receiver/amp section and better speakers would take precedence over getting that rear/center.
YMMV. Just so happened for me that I could upgrade the receiver/amp section AND get the 6th channel (STR-DA555ES to an NAD T762). :)

BrentB

Grip
HienD,
Not sure where you live, but if there's a Fry's closeby, they have the Onkyo 700(normally $799) on sale for $599 as they're closing them out.
The new 701's have replaced them at the $800 cost and it's a THX Certified receiver. For the same $800, you'd do your self a big favor in really stepping up to the BRAND NEW 701.
(check it out here; www.onkyousa.com)
Just a thought.

HienD

Stunt Coordinator
BrentB, I live in canada and got the tx-sr600 for $499cnd (about $350usd) with 5 year extended warranty at Visions. It was an open box model,(no new ones left), so he threw in the extended warranty and knocked $100 off the orignal clearance price of $599cnd. I was also thinking of the new sr501, but for the cost of the tax, I got my self the sr600 instead. They also had a sr700 for $850cnd but that was for a dealer demo. If I wasn't happy with the sr600, they said I could exchange it for the sr700. The sr600 sounded better then expected so I'm keeping it. A smaller store where I bought my speakers from said $499 was $100 below cost. He had a new one in stock but could only offer me cost + %10.

The new 701 is not out till mid/end of july, and would have been overkill for my current speaker setup. I also didn't want to spend $1200cnd on receiver that would have costed slighty more then my speakers. Now I gotta sell this pionner.(sigh) I guess this is the best time of year for buying electronics. All the new stuff is comming out and the old stuff is priced to clear.

Kevinkall

Second Unit
I have a 6.1 setup and my listening position is also along the back wall and I think that it sounds really good. I had a 5.1 setup with the same listening position and then I upgraded to a 6.1 receiver and added the back surround speaker. I can tell the difference and I think that it really adds more to the overall enjoyment of the movie. The best soundtracks out are EX or ES with more coming out every week. I think that it's a worth while upgrade and if setup properly a good sounding one.

John Morton

Stunt Coordinator
Good topic!! What's the proper speaker location/setup for 6.1? Is it different for 7.x?

I have 5.1 and love it, but will be upgrading my receiver later this year. I guess I'm not sure I should keep my current speaker locations exatly the same and just add the rears (as my current rears are already 3 feet behind me and out to the sides slightly), or if my current rears should shift forward and more to the sides when they become mids.

I know there is no substitution for trying every possible location, but a start guide would nice.

scott>sau

Stunt Coordinator
These posts have answered the question well and Michaels Dolby post was perfect for the thread. I would just add my observation that most up-to-date commercial theaters use side wall and back wall surrounds. And my testimony, I use a 7.1 setup and I would never go back. Hearing discrete panning of side left to right rear surround effects is more theatrical. This link helps clarify the DD 5.1, DTS 5.1, DTS ES 6.1, THX EX 7.1, DD PL II formats in surround sound.
http://www.audiorevolution.com/equip/surround/

Paul Anthony

Stunt Coordinator
I entered the 6.1 arena with a bit of trepidation because my listening position is right against the back wall. I came across some Infinity OWS-1 speakers(wall hangers that are only 4.5" deep)that I got for free, so I thought I would give it a go.
Long story short, they worked wonderfully, even though convention says they shouldn't work effectively so close. So, I would say give it a shot, for I have found on more than this occasion that theory doesn't always translate well into real world performance.
Same here with me. As a new proud ower of a Denon AVR-4802R receiver, watching Star Wars: Ep 1 was a revelation! You can hear the back surrounds pan behind you ever so smoothly, really bringing the soundtrack to life. And my Infinity OWS-1s are right behind my couch!
Once you experience 6.1, you don't want to go back to 5.1, and certainly not Pro-logic! :)

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Once you experience 9.1, you don't want to go back to 7.1, 6.1 and certainly not 5.1!
I'm sorry... I don't really have 9.1, but I was feeling left out. :D

Diallo B

Screenwriter
Based on all of these posts I decided to put my 7.1 setup back up with my 4ES.
I initially took it down because I thought that the back surrounds cluttered my living room. So I thought what the hell, let's get some proper speaker stands and see what happens.
Well after building the stands, filling them with sand, running the wire under the carpet again:frowning:, screwing the speakers into the stands, and properly calibrating everything I can say without a doubt:
IF YOU DO NOT HAVE 6.1 OR 7.1 YOU WILL WANT IT!!!!!
Once again that is if you have the space and the budget to do it right.
I have rewatched ATOC, Blade II, FOTR, T2 in the past 24 hours just to see what I was missing if anything and I have to say that all that extra work was worth it.
Also, if you have a receiver that decodes DTS Neo:6 the 6.1/7.1 setup will do wonders for that as well. Even watching a guilty pleasure of mine on FOX about some hotel I was impressed with the imaging done on ambient sound.
My main gripe about my primary setup is that I do not have a back wall that will provide proper rear imaging. It is ok but not great. In my bedroom with the surrounds on the back wall I get great imaging. The 7.1 setup on my primary system filled that gap and has me ready to rewatch some dvds and maybe even put a 6.1 or 7.1 rig in my bedroom.
Once again if you have the time, space and budget GO FOR IT!!!!
djb

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
what are you folks using for your rear center(s)?

obviously identical speakers would be best, but i'd bet that can be difficult to do.

John Morton

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the posts!! I can't wait until my new house is finished later this year and I'll finally have a dedicated HT room.

John Morton

Stunt Coordinator
OH, sorry, I have 6 Infinity RS-5s (front, sides, rear) with an Infinity CC-3 center and and Infinity HPS-1000 sub. I got a GREAT deal on all of these speakers a couple of years ago as they were being discontinued and I was planning ahead for 7.1. I'm looking at the Sony 4ES to purchase later this year, but am anxious to see the new ES line also. I currently have a DB-930 (5.1) which will go nicely in the basement.

I do agree though, the Infinity quads go nicely in tight spaces. They can be mounted directly IN the walls exposing less than 3 inches and sound nice.

David Proud

Stunt Coordinator
It's hard to be surrounded by sound with only two speakers." Russ Herschelmann (One of CEDIA's founding fathers)

although this maybe true with proper placement you can surround yourself beautifully with 4 speakers. No need for a rear center or center channel unless you have seats off axis or seats behind your side surrounds which would benefit from the additional rear surrounds.

In my theater this is the exact scenario.

However adding a rear surround has one additional benefit it that it allows you to bring your side surrounds from the ITU recomendation of 110degrees from center of front wall to 100 to 105degrees to increase side stage presence.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks