What's new

Official Mac OS X Leopard Installation & Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Playing around with TIME MACHINE.....

I have several days backed up and I can scroll through the
different desktops.

However.....

The RESTORE function is grayed out. If I had to, how can I
select RESTORE?

ErichH

Screenwriter
Man, am I glad Apple is giving back list view from the dock in 10.5.2 - DUH!! That's Right Apple, the flashy thingy wears thin.

Happy Holidays Mac Heads - Have a great one

ErichH

Screenwriter

Here's 1 - OS X 10.5.2 to Pack Stacks List View Option | World of Apple

There are a few more if you search

For the moment I have my bottom 2 buttons (expert mouse) doing the command click, but it will be nice to get back to this very basic navigating move. It's still there with a key/mouse combo, but new users would never see it until they dig into key command options (most would not)

Stacks is not a feature IMO, it's a silly GPU entertainment. I need to get at my files, not watch some oversized icons draw. Cover Flow any one? Very Cute.
I'm not alone - many pro app users I know are bailing out of 10.5 and going back to 10.4. The dock thing is 1 of many reasons. 2 guys who use Logic for a living are reporting a big hit in speed. They have no time for the GPU choke in Leo.

I don't work in audio or film so I'll stick it out for now.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I have two Leopard installs on Intel machines, and am very happy with the performance.

On my 1.67Ghz, 1 gig RAM, PowerBook G4 however, it seemed noticeably more sluggish than Tiger. Most frequently used apps: Safari (with lots of open windows) and Mail, usually running on battery power, talking to an Airport Extreme connected to fairly slow DSL. I tried upgrading to the Ram to 1.5 gigs, and that didn't have an effect.

Is anyone running Leopard on a similar machine -- especially any kind of PowerBook, and would care to share their experience?

The reason I am using the past tense is because I've been having all sorts of hardware problems with this machine, and AppleCare recently swapped, the logic board (for the 3rd time), the RAM (I had reverted to the original 1gig before having it serviced) and they wiped the hard drive, reverting to Tiger (which I found bizarre, because the work order clearly said it was loaded with 10.5.1). Anyway, I haven't re-installed Leopard because Tiger just IS faster now that I'm back on it.

I would love to go back to Leopard though, because I desperately miss the Screen Sharing & remote disk mounting features...

ErichH

Screenwriter
Ted
You are not alone. Many people with pre intel books are having problems with Leo. You obviously have hardware issues, but I'd stick with 10.4 and wait for 10.5.2 and read up on the release first.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Upgrading my wife's machine today, an Mac Al Tower with Dual-G5. So far, so good. Leopard is on. iLife 08 is installing. And then Adobe CS3.

ErichH

Screenwriter
Dave - I'd be very interested in hearing about CS3 performance pre and post Leo. Assuming you use it enough to feel the difference one way or another.
E

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
Finally decided to go out an get Leopard. Hopefully things should have settled down by now.

I decided to do a clean "erase and install" option. Everything looks to have gone Ok, and software update is now downloading a massive 10.5.2 patch update.

I can't seem to find iLife 08 though? Do I have to install this separately, if so from where? Thanks.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Darren,

I am almost certain that you don't get iLife included with
Leopard unless you purchase a new computer.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Came with new iMac.
Copied iDVD app across to G5 tower, but 7.0 themes are missing.
Anyone know how to get the new themes across as well?

Thanks

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
Having done a bit of reading around, it does look like iLife only comes with a new Mac as a bundle and not as part of the OS-X retail package. I did have iLife 08 preinstalled when I got my new iMac with Tiger last October but there didn't appear to be a separate backup install disc for it (unlike iWork 08 which I also bought with my new iMac)

The retail Leopard disc I bought today doesn't have iLife bundled with it.

I did however find the iLife 08 applications on the Tiger discs that came with my iMac. I hadn't thought to look on there as I had assumed that those discs were just for restoring Tiger.

As well as the icon to install Tiger, there's another icon to install the bundled software. If you do this, and then choose to do a custom install, you can select which bundled apps to install or not (eg install iMovie 08, but not the Office 2004 trial etc).

I would have thought it would have been simpler if they'd just included an iLife restore disc separately to the main OS restore discs when you buy your Mac.

Bottom line is that if you bought a Mac with Tiger (and iLife 08 preinstalled) and you then buy Leopard retail, make sure you keep your old Tiger restore discs so that you can reinstall iLife 08 if you do a clean Leopard install.

Other than that, I'm really liking Leopard so far. Samba network shares from my Linux file store machine are certainly much slicker in Leopard than they were in Tiger and the other things like Time Machine are pretty cool.

Don

Second Unit
is there a way to re install i chat. i think i messed something up when i first started it.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Don ">[/url]

is there a way to re install i chat. i think i messed something up when i first started it.[/QUOTE]
probably the easiest way is to do an

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks