What's new

Official Mac OS X Leopard Installation & Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
I installed the update and had no problems. I'm glad they fixed the Finder file transfer bug. It was a major faux pas. That said, I know of nobody that moves files from one disk to another via the Finder. Everyone just copies the files and deletes the original data. Seemed to me to be much ado about nothing.

Of the new fixes, I'm happy to see that the status bar has returned during permissions repair even if the time estimates are wildly inaccurate. Permissions repairs were too slow under Panther, took a huge leap forward in Tiger and now are back to being slow again.

The main stick in my craw after upgrading to 10.5 and even after the 10.5.1 update is that my MacBook Pro will not shutdown or restart unless I first logout. If I try to shutdown or restart while logged in, the machine hangs at the Desktop after the Finder and Dock quit. I'm forced to do a power shutdown. Several people I work with have had the same problem and while some people don't think it's a big deal, it's definitely a pain in the ass. I rarely shutdown my machine...I usually just put it to sleep. But installing any software that requires a reboot forces me to hold down the power button to shut off the machine...you don't get the option to logoff first. :thumbsdown:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I noticed no overt changes after 10.5.1. The two main nuisances I've got now are:

* with Time Machine turned on, my MBP no longer auto-sleeps.

* Parallels isn't fully Leopard compatible, issuing an error every time it runs and crashing when I close it down. Fortunately, in the middle, it works just fine.

With Time Machine running now, it's neat to see how it works. I've been jiggering with how we've got our finances setup, and now it should backup those files everytime we change them (via MS Money in Parallels). That's a nice safety net.

I use the icon-hack I posted earlier and Stacks is much more useful. I've enabled Spaces, but I haven't figured out how to use it in a way that helps me.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds

I'm experiencing exactly this on a G4 dual 867, ever since the update. I thought that maybe it was related to my third-party USB 2 card and was going to remove it to see if that solved the problem, but maybe we can find a common thread between all of our machines (especially since mine is old and weird).

What are the machines? How did you do the migration to Leopard? (I did an archive-and-install after pooching my original install -- CURSE YOU LOGITECH!!!) Got anything odd or out-of-the-ordinary attached or installed? I have three HDs inside, with my iTunes library on one, my iPhoto library on another and the system on the third. I have a high speed USB card reader, an M-Audio keyboard, and two iPods connected most of the time -- a 60GB video and a second gen Shuffle. I'm using the first of the Apple white keyboards and a cheap Logitech optical mouse whose name I forget. I have an outrageously large amount of RAM that was all installed at time of purchase. I'm using the original 17" Apple LCD display connected via ADC.

Dunno, any of that ring a bell? What's on yours? Any weird software?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Even with the new Leopard OS X update this week my Macbook Pro
still crashes after it awakens from "sleep" mode.

Wonder if this is inherent with Leopard or I have a software
conflict with another program. All I can say is that this was never
an issue under Tiger.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Not sure either, Ron. My 2.33 C2D MBP runs like a champ on Leopard, I even tested the sleep/wake mode (which I normally don't use) because of all of the problems posted here. Mine wakes and sleeps properly. I also did an "upgrade" not a clean install, so I am probably not much help in your effort to find a cure.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Did you try a completely new install?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Carlo,

You think I should do a clean install?

How do I go about formatting my Macbook Pro and doing
a completely clean install?

-> Honestly, I don't know if it's worth the effort. I can live
with the "sleep mode" problem if it means not having to spend
time starting from scratch. Still, the instructions on how to
format and install would be of great help nonetheless.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Ron, if you put the install DVD in and run it, you will see a few little buttons that come up during the install process that offer you options -- one of these has the Erase & Install and Archive & Install options.

You may want to try Archive & Install -- it's been suggested to me that this is what I'll have to do (or an Erase & Install). With Archive & Install you have a fresh copy of the OS, plus a folder with all of your old stuff in it that you can migrate back over, so you don't have to reinstall or recopy everything back onto the computer.

I brought up your iPod sync failing issue and it was suggested that it plus the sleep issue add up to something going really wrong in the upgrade process, but without seeing the machines there was nothing that they could really tell me about it.

So if you have an hour some time this week, try out an Archive & Install. I'll be doing it too.

What I find tremendously funny with my own troubles is that I am one of those guys who would never, ever upgrade his machines immediately -- I'd always wait two or three months for issues to be ironed out. Then, the new OS would go on the laptop first, then the B computer, then the A computer -- a six month process. But because of work I had to upgrade to Leopard essentially right away, on the third or fourth day of release. It kind of justifies my past paranoia. ;)

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Ronald,

Just start like before. Put the install disc in and click Install Mac OS X.
It will reboot. Choose language and when the Welcome screen appears click Continue. The next screen will be the Select a Destination screen. Select your drive/volume to install to BUT! don't click continue, click Options instead. That's were you take a different route from before. The next screen gives you three options to choose from.
1. Upgrade Mac OS X
2. Archive and Install with the option to "Preserve User and Network Settings"
3. Erase and Install

Make your choice, click continue and continue on as before. The next screen should offer a customize button allowing you to choose which printer drivers, additional fonts and language translation you wish to install. Then install your OS. I got this info straight from the Leopard Install and Setup pdf which I got from HERE. Just click the "Manuals" link.

Here's a more organized instruction.

Reinstalling Mac OS X

Under some circumstances, you may need to reinstall Mac OS X. You can reinstall Mac OS X while keeping your files and user settings intact.
To reinstall Mac OS X:
Step 1

Insert the Mac OS X Install Disc and double-click the Install Mac OS X icon.
Step 2

Follow the onscreen instructions. In the pane where you select the destination disk, select your current Mac OS X disk (in most cases, it will be the only one available).
Step 3

Click Options. If you want to save your existing files, users, and network settings, select “Archive and Install,” and then select “Preserve Users and Network Settings.” If you want to erase everything on your computer and reinstall Mac OS X, select “Erase and Install.” You can’t recover erased data.
Step 4

Click Continue.
Step 5

Click Customize to select which parts of Mac OS X you’d like to install, or click Install to perform a basic installation (recommended). Hope this helps.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'm about to do something tomorrow with my desktop
and notebook. The Desktop is having synch issues with my iPod
since Leopard install (but sleeps fine) and the Macbook Pro has the
sleeping issues.

It was suggested to do Archive and Install

This sounds great, but my only concern is that the ARCHIVE
must use an awful amount of disc space given the amount of
programs I have. Can I delete the ARCHIVE and recover that
space after I reinstall everything?

What happens to iMovie '06? That's not part of Leopard. I need
that program and I only have it preinstalled with Tiger. Will I
lose iMovie '06?

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
What's great about Archive and Install is that it makes a fresh, clean install and leaves all your old stuff in a folder called Previous System -- then you can migrate back what you want and delete the rest. You do need enough space on your hard drive to support two OS installs.

Ron -- iMovie '06 is available as a free download at Apple.com for those people buying iLife '08 who cannot run iMovie '06. So if you lose your iMovie '06 (which you should not), you can still download it from Apple.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Great news about being able to download iMovie '06

Okay, just so I get my points correct here....

1. The archive function that Daryl posted above is a clean install
of Leopard with all remnants of Tiger completely erased?

2. How does the Archive restoration work? Am I simply dragging
programs back into Applications and they just work -- or do I need
to do fresh installations over the archived programs that are dragged
over?

3. Are all my Firefox bookmarks preserved in the archive?

You guys have been of tremendous help. Thank You!

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
It's not erased, but it's not active in your system. To bring items back you can either use the migration assistant and manually get anything that was missed, or just drag items from the old folders into the new ones.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Okay, to further add to my questions above....

Approx. how much gigs of space am I wasting having two
operating systems on my drive? Quite frankly, I'd rather
conserve valuable disc space and just do a complete format
and reinstall of Leopard if we are talking valuable space being used.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Delete it when all is safe and updated. Should be all done after a few days.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have .Mac so I can easily backup my email boxes and rules.

Here's the problem...

Can all my email messages be backed up somehow? Do not see
that option in Mac Mail.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Anything that is moved into a created mailbox is 'saved' separately from application.

The Inbox is stored in LIBRARY, which is what you want to back up.

One other option is to backup/clone entire disc, and then clean install, and IMPORT settings and data from backup disc.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Chris,

You have been extremely, extremely helpful. thank You!

You gave me a great idea!

I have an external drive that I backup my Mac to using SuperDuper.
Essentially that program just clones everything on my Mac drive
onto the external. Same file/directory structure.

So why don't I just clone my drive to the external and do a
complete format of my Mac?

Now this leads to new questions...

With a Mac, can I simply drag programs off the external
drive onto the fresh OS install and expect them to work? To
me it seems like no, because the program would have to install
itself into the LIBRARY somewhere.

Also, is there a complete format option when installing Leopard?

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Don't know if same, but there are only 3 install options (with customisation):

Fresh
Archive
Erase

BACKUP first:

If you are having problems - ERASE option (this I believe gives you defrag/complete format).

When you install, it will then ask you if you want to import your existing data from another Mac/drive - do that.

You will then want to run Software Update.
Then go through each 3rd party app, and look for Leopard updates.

I had to revert 1 of my 6 machines because of Filemaker Server 5.5, for FM6 Pro (which is ok under Leopard on the other 5).

Ron,

I have been waiting for you to go Mac since I joined HTF in 99, after reading all of your PC issues. I wish the same for Bill at DBits.

Only too glad to help - that is what the Mac faithful do.

Leopard is very worth it. Apps still crash, but the reporting back to Apple is very smooth now.

I just added 1GB RAM to my G5 tower, and it has sped up things, and caused fans to run quieter!

I still have 2 more issues on 2 machines:

1. iMac will always wake up MUTED. It does the same thing in that location, despite swapping and moving machines, so I suspect some LAN, ethernet factor. IDEAS?

2. TiBook won't go to sleep when told (scheduling). The optical drive is also dead, so I haven't upgraded to 10.5 on it (can do with Firewire direct), and I need a backup machine if my other laptop with FM 5.5 fails. IDEAS (for scheduled sleep - 10.5 did fix others who wanted to stay awake)?

Love the cover flow, better still QUICK LOOK = Apple-Y.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks