What's new

Official Mac OS X Leopard Installation & Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Ron a lot of the cool things that we'll see in future 10.5.X will come as a result of the fundamental changes that occured under the hood in Leopard. For me the boost in speed, Quick Look, Time Machine and Stacks are reason to upgrade alone so I'm happy. If it ain't broke don't change it :)

As for your MacBook Pro did you do an upgrade or a clean wipe and install? I did a wipe and install on mine and it has zero issues with sleep mode etc.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
My college store just called to let me know my copy of Leopard arrived ($69!), so I'll be picking it up shortly. I know ProTools 7.3 is not yet compatible, but I haven't been using it for a while (have actually been using Garageband) so I'm going to try to install it tonight. Will use SuperDuper! just in case anything goes wrong and I need to roll back...

The main programs I use, which I think are Leopard compatible:

iWork 08
iLife 08
Office 2004 for Mac
MovieMagic Screenwriter 6
VLC player

My big concerns are my 3rd party plugins like Witch (great window switching tool), and the video codecs like Divx, etc. Those will probably be broken once I get Leopard up and running.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Having trouble rolling back.
Hints please.

ps. any solutions to Safari not fully loading HTF forums. The load spin icon is annoying.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Chris: rolling back to what? A previous date from Time Machine? OSX Tiger 10.4.XX?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Dave: thanks for the info. I actually also have Adobe CS3 Design Premium, and I already know (according to Adobe) that somehow Acrobat Pro will be "broken" until an update they plan to release in December, the implication being the other programs (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, etc.) will work fine.

Chris: Not sure how to use Apple's software to "roll back" - did you use something like SuperDuper! and do a complete backup to an external drive first?

Well, I just completed a 90 minute complete SuperDuper! backup of my Macintosh HD onto an external firewire drive. One thing I'm slightly worried about, in case I have to back out, is that the GB total on my firewire drive is 3GB smaller than my Macintosh HD (90GB vs 93GB). I did select a complete backup - all files, and enough people have raved about SuperDuper! that I'm just going to trust it.

I'm going to try a Leopard "upgrade" - hopefully it goes smoothly. If not, I'll either do a complete clean install (ugh, I better find all of my program install discs/files) or if it's too late, I'll restore back to my SuperDuper! image.

See you on the other side! :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Success! Gave the MBP about a half hour to index, and it's now running like a champ. I've tried iLife, iWork, Office, VLC, Screenwriter and CS3 design and they all seem to work fine (including Acrobat Pro 8!).

I very much like the GUI improvements, subtle as they are. Not as turned off by the new dock as others. Will continue to test and report. Nothing revolutionary yet, though as others have pointed out, Leopard is a starting point for a new OSX, and should pave the way for some nice improvements down the line.

Personally, I can't wait until resolution independence gets fully integrated.

My PC does feel a little snappier, so any speed improvement is always welcome. I wasn't expecting a huge change so I'm not as underwhelmed as Ron was. So far it's what I expected: a refinement that is worthy of a new name (definitely a bigger jump than say from 10.4.9 to 10.4.10), but nothing revolutionary. I guess that will have to wait for OS "This One Goes To 11".

Hmm, I think I have a good idea for spokespeople for OS11. :D

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Andrew,

I did an upgrade. I have too many files in place to do
a wipe and install.

I see a MAJOR problem with the OS at this point that
has already been reported as a bug....

When transferring new music to my iPod, the OS does not
hold the connection. My entire music library is deleted from
the iPod and I am forced to spend up to an hour getting all
the songs back in.

I read somewhere (perhaps here) that there is an issue with
file transfers when the source device is shown. Huge amounts
of data loss have been reported during transfers between devices.

This is a serious bug that Apple needs to address ASAP.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ron, this is the only data loss bug I've seen reported. It's a lengthy read but the gist is:
This was also referenced in Macrumors, with some saying the bug has existed back to OSX 10.3 (so there goes any hope that it will be addressed quickly).

The bug sounds a bit different to what you're describing, which is the OS failing to hold the connection. The end result (the data loss due to the destination drive disappearing) seems to be the same, but Tom Karpik's article doesn't describe any inherent dropping of the signal on an iPod that you describe. How they get the bug to appear is trying to close the destination directory while in the act of copying (as far as I can tell).

Or is there another bug that you're referring to?

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Ron, the bug is not as you describe it -- copying data poses no risk. It's when you tell the Finder to copy-and-delete the data and then the copy-and-delete action is interrupted -- that's when data loss happens.

So dragging a file to another drive is not a problem. Option-dragging it is where there's an issue. The workaround is to not option-drag files between networked drives -- just copy them regularly and take the extra step to delete them from the source drive when you're done.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Aaron,

Thanks for setting me straight on that, though now I suppose I
have discovered another bug that is playing havoc with the synch
of my iPod.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
You know what just dawned on me? Coming over from Windows about a year and a half ago, I always wondered why "Move" wasn't an option when you right click on OSX. Now that this bug has taken front stage, and intimations that it's existed since 10.3 (I came on board at 10.4), it makes sense that Apple would not want to make it easy to move things.

While this doesn't affect me too greatly, it is a bug that should be addressed. Potential massive data loss is never a good thing.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Well, Leopard is bumming me out now. I've not had time to dig into the usful new additions yet (Time Machine), and I'm running into its glitches.

My BootCamp partition gets dropped and can't be re-mounted without a reboot.

Parallels isses an error everytime it's run. It still works, but the error is worrying and intrusive.

Computer is not auto-sleeping after being left alone.

Transparent menu bar and especially the transparent menus are terrible.

Stacks auto-icons are a terrible idea.

I don't regret upgrading; I'm playing as much as using my computer. But I'd now recommend anyone with a stable Jaguar (10.3) or Tiger (10.4) system to stay there until Leopard is more solid and more needed.

On the up-side, the Finder setup for connecting to other Macs on the LAN is starting to make sense and is much easier than my previous method of keeping an IP-address-specific alias on my desktop to connect. And I like how Stacks works; I just hate the auto-icon. And, surprisingly, my Logitech MX Revolution works better in Leopard than it did in Tiger!

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Guess what I got in the mail today. Go ahead, guess. :) You'll never guess so I'll show you below.

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/7/74/htf_imgcache_15761.jpeg] [/url]

When I got it I used Onyx to run maintenance and cleanup and rebooted. Then booted into safe mode and used SuperDuper! and did a full bootable backup to one volume on my external drive then a user files backup to another volume, THEN another users files backup with Carbon Copy Cloner (yes overkill but I'm covered). :)

I was going to do an erase and install but decided I'd wait about a month so I just upgraded. I rebooted, put in Leopard and started the install. It took approximately 50 minutes from begining until I was back at my desktop with Leopard installed. No problems with the upgrade. Looks like Usanity's APE uninstaller removed APE okay after uninstalling Logitec Control Center left it behind. No blue screen hang after upgrading. My logitec marble mouse trackball is working fine using Steermouse instead of LCC. :)

Tomorrow my 250GB miniStack v2 is scheduled for delivery so I'll probably use it for Time Machine. Haven't decided if I want to use Time Machine or not. Well, haven't had time to tinker yet so thats all I got for now.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
10.5.1 is out today, and it looks like they might have addressed the bug. Wording is kind of vague, but it seems like the move problem described above...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks