What's new

Official **LIVE** Questions Transcript --- WB Chat (March 29, 2005) (1 Viewer)

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
I was very interested in some of those "obscure" 60s-70s films and it was great to hear that Petulia, Night Moves, Scarecrow, The Yakuza, Performance, The Devils are on the way. Cruising is under consideration! I saw that Brewster McCloud was mentioned twice. Has there been a change in thought at WB about this title? And, what about Over the Edge?

Still wondering about:
Personal Best
Straight Time
Carny
Reckless (1984)
Dusty and Sweets McGee
Prince of the City
Urgh! A Music War
The Outfit

Great news about all the Classic Box Sets on their way. Looking forward to Gable, Tracy, Harlow, Thin Man, and...the list just seems to go on and on.

Thanks to whoever asked about more John Garfield films. If not this year, perhaps '06?

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
I appreciate the work that Ron and Patrick did getting this chat together and I appreciate the folks from WB taking time out from their jobs to participate, but I felt shortchanged on almost all answers given by them.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Very, very happy to hear about the L.A. Confidential Special Edition that I've been hoping for a long time would be coming, as well as The Maltese Falcon and we already knew about Dog Day Afternoon and The Wizard Of Oz, but I'm still excited about those titles! Also happy about Poltergeist but that's some time away unfortunately...

I'm dissapointed that the Peckinpah box was pushed back an entire year... I was really looking forward to that set more than any other. It looks like 2006 is going to be a much bigger year than '05.

I also would have liked to hear about Fuller titles as well as Bladerunner and the whole animation thing was a huge cop out and I was VERY dissapointed by that. It pretty much ended the night.

I'm not so sure about a Mask Of The Phantasm SE though, WB wasn't very specific with their response to that question and I'm almost sure that they overlooked that title when responding. I think they were just confirming the SE of the live-action films as well as more TAS releases. I would've liked a clarification there because it sounded like a sweep response to me.

I wish someone would have asked about Follow That Bird as well.

As far as Popeye issue, doesn't sound like much progress has been made since last year. I wish whoever raised the question would have informed the studio that KFS doesn't even own any rights to the films and they could go ahead and release them whenever they want without any apprehension. I don't understand why it's so complicated, I assume KFS wants a lot of money they're not entitled to and WB doesn't want to shell it out? They should just take the issue to court, that'll get incredible promotion for a potential release and speed things up fairly quickly.

Some great titles were announced last night, most were already assumed to be in the works but there were a few nice surprises. Overall I was dissapointed with the absence of Warner's animation dept though. I can already see that 2006 is going to be a huge year, that should offer a really interesting chat...

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Also, I wonder if the studio is planning yet another Kubrick box set with SE of 2001 in the works and the recently released Strangelove SE..?

Personally, I'm perfectly contempt with the current set. I think all the films have great pq, oar, some nice features but I'm curious to see what WB is cooking up.

As to the person who asked about the Bogart box, I assume we'll see the following...

- Casablanca: 2 Disc SE
- The Maltese Falcon: 2 Disc SE
- The Big Sleep: SE - ??
- Dark Passage
- Key Largo
- High Sierra
- They Drive By Night

If the studio includes the 2 Disc SE of Treasure Of The Sierra Mardre, I'll be aggravated as it's already a part of The Warner Legends Collection and it's one thing to repackage current releases into box sets for the public to chose whether they want to repurchase to upgrade and have a more convenient packaging, but it's another to reissue the same title in multiple sets! Having 2 identical copies of the exact edition of the same movie on shelf is a huge waste, I hope they recognize this and don't decide to include it in any upcoming Bogart sets. Casablanca I wouldn't mind since it's only available as a stand-alone now so that could easily be sold and replaced by it's inclusion in an upcoming box set. That's just my 2 cents. I really hope The Big Sleep gets a 2 Disc SE as well, I'm sure it will and I hope Dark Passage, Key Largo, High Sierra and They Drive By Night are all included in updated form (possibly remastered) and in new keepcase packaging.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
I certainly hope WB makes good on the Mask of the Phantasm SE, I am as excited about that than any other mentioned. It would have been nice to get a date on the Batman films as well.

The Wizard of Oz, The Green Mile and L.A. Confidential confirmations were also great bits of news, but again some dates would have been nice.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I just cannot belive nobody asked about the rumored Blade Runner SE or to a lessor degree the rumored Forbidden Planet SE. Especially when there is a 14 page thread on the former. What a lost opportunity.

All in all, a lot of good questions were addressed

Interesting.

Also noticed that there was a question about The Man Who Would Be King being revisited. Did that not get addressed by Warner?

Lastly - nobody asked about Noir set Vol #3? ;) For shame!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I would be very surprised if Warner releases this again with the four 2-disc SE releases they'd talked about last night. We already know that "The Maltese Falcon" is one of them. If I had to venture a guess to the other three, they will be "The Big Sleep", "Key Largo" and either "To Have and Have Not" or "High Sierra". I'm leaning towards "To Have and Have Not" with a full commentary from Lauren Bacall. It was her first film and her insight about making that film with Bogart and Howard Hawks would be interesting.

Crawdaddy

Real Name
Anthony
Some excellent news there - looking forward to the full transcript.

Can anyone elaborate on the Kubrick announcement ? 2001 S.E and ONE other S.E, or sveral other S.Es ?

Obviously, my thanks to HTF and WB - it's much appreciated. However, I am a bit surprised that nobody asked about BLADE RUNNER, given the level of interest in this title. I can't help feeling that this request has slipped through the cracks and I'd question - with respect - the HTF policy of not allowing us to discuss questions preceding the chat. The reason given - that we want to catch them off-guard - seems a little over dramatic. It's not as if we're questioning Donald Rumsfeld.

I'd propose a compromise for the next chat. That we are allowed to vote for the titles that we want discussed and that we perhaps send them as PMs to the HTF team, so they can ask additional questions at the end to cover popular choices that have not been asked about.

OK, that could do with a bit more thought, but you know what I'm getting at.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'm not suggesting it'd be rereleased as in an updated issue, but perhaps repackaged along with the other films for an upcoming box set.

I'd say almost for sure that The Big Sleep and Key Largo are guaranteed to be among the four. I agree that To Have And Have Not would seem extremely likely as well. I still really hope that High Sierra and They Drive By Night will be included in any upcoming collections though..

Btw, looking over my DVD Wish List which I am in the process of updating this morning after revisiting details of the chat last night, I see that I already have a 2-disc Maletese SE accounted for so I guess this wasn't a surprise announcement... in fact, I think it was probably mentioned at last year's chat as well.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Oh and I almost forgot to post my dissapointment in regards to the promise of a Cool Hand Luke and Beetlejuice SE... both of which I'm almost certain were said to be int he works last time around.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Some great news from the chat! I'm not as upset now about not being able to attend.

Looks like quite a few of the titles I'm very interested in were mentioned, especially my #1 most wanted title The Devils.

And I'll be picking up every single Bowery Boys film released.

Wondering if there was any mention of Prince of the City or a Lumet box set.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I don't know what to tell you about "Blade Runner"???? The chat for the most part had between 220-230 participants and almost 90 people had their opportunity to ask their question and in most cases, they were questions. I'm sure, most of us have some favorite title(s) that probably wasn't inquired about last night.

Crawdaddy

Alistair_M

Second Unit
"But another year without being able to ask about Little Dorrit. . . . Damn"

I agree with you brother. Warners has got to release Little Dorrit sometime. Its such a gem of a film and highly original in the structure.

Warners - we want Little Dorrit!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Jay,
Another one of those titles that wasn't asked about. So many films and television shows and just not enough time to find out about all of them.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Warner stated that "2001" and some other Kubrick films will be released in 2006 as Special Editions. No other details were offered.

Crawdaddy

Jay E

Senior HTF Member

Thanks Robert.

I know that Warner owns a huge library so I'm very happy that so many titles I'm interested in were mentioned.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Stoked about "Network". I think "Cool Hand Luke" deserves a two-disc SE also though. They could include a Paul Newman doc, since that territory hasn't been covered in any WB two-disc SE's yet.

Real Name
Anthony
Thanks for the info, Robert. I guess you're right about BLADE RUNNER, but I still think there's room for a discussion about how we co-ordinate questions at such chats, especially when we know that long threads exist on the site about certain titles.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

The same long threads that Warner probably reads every week if not on a daily basis. I'm sure they were surprised that nobody asked about "Blade Runner".

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks