What's new

Official **LIVE** Questions Transcript --- WB Chat (March 29, 2005) (1 Viewer)

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory

Thanks for asking about that, even though they said no, at least they know there is an interest and the bonus will do until collections are made.

Joel C

Screenwriter
I was hoping someone would ask about a Bonnie and Clyde SE... Did I miss it on the list?

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
This is one hell of a great chat, all kinds of info.

I think after this chat I should just cut up my credit/debit cards because I shouldn't give WB ALL my money! Considering there's a Ford/Wayne box set coming next year on top of everything else... damn.

*Gable and Tracy boxsets on tab for 2006.
-- hoping for San Francisco, Red Dust amongst others, unfortunately since Northwest Passage is only under consideration, I guess we won't be seeing it in Tracy's set.
* Warner still looking for elements for "The Magnificent Ambersons"
--it's at the bottom of the briny deep :frowning: still I hope they get some nice elements to restore and record a commentary with Robert Wise while he's with us!

* The Thin Man boxset will have all six films plus a bonus disc.
-- makes me wish I didn't already have the first lovely disc, but this set is mine if I can manage

* A Pre-code boxset coming in 2006.
-- mine, doesn't even matter what films, I love this era and warner films are especially strong here, but I'd love to see Red Dust (as mentioned above) if it's not in the gable or Harlow sets.

* Another Warner Gangster boxset set for 2006. Also, some more theme boxsets.
--hmm I'll have to wait and see selection, most of the must have titles were in the first set

* The Ben Hur boxset will have a new transfer from newly restored 65mm elements. Also, the 1925 version of Ben Hur will be in the boxset along with new content.
--ooooh so tempting. but I already have the first disc and will be budgeted tight anyway, really want to see the 25 restoration though...

--really want two discs of Network and Cool Hand Luke (possibly of Dog Day but again, budget versus too many great releases)

* Batman films on the way.
--Hey I'd even take the crappy third and fourth ones if the price were right, the third holds a special place in one 10 year olds heart. :)

* A "The Green Mile" SE in the works.
--cool...

* Astaire/Rogers musicals coming out in two stages. Five films involved with each release, one in 2005 and another in 2006. They will be sold separately and in a boxset.
--MINE MINE «smacks gull, mutters 'damn birds!»

* Regarding that missing ling of dialogue in "Bringing Up Baby" from Katharine Hepburn. Warner stated it was due to damage to the original negative and not censorship.
Figured that was so.

* The Naked Spur on tap for 2006
YESSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

* LA Confidential SE in the works.
happy with current disc, great flick though.

* Releasing all 48 Bowery Boys films in 2006. More than one boxset.
I don't know what this is, but that number is staggering
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

* They have a date for "King Kong" but won't tell us.
--I bet it's Nov. 22 or Dec. 13.

* Looney Tunes Volume 3 before Christmas.
--of course, and I will buy it despite having not finished the first volume yet.

* A SE release of "The Wizard of OZ" this year.
--do you even have to ask?

* Northwest Passage under consideration for a future release.
--YAY THIS IS THE TITLE I'D HAVE ASKED ABOUT!!!

* The Peckinpah boxset now scheduled for 2006.
--acceptable, there's too many releases to buy anyway.

* Jean Harlow boxset in 2006
-- make it stop!

* Anna Karenina part of the Garbo's 100 year birthday boxset this Fall.
--I thought this set would be coming

* 2 disc Maltese Falcon SE in 2006
--part of the Bogie set with the other four being restored I presume?

* 25th Anniversary Poltergeist SE planned.
--kewl

* No more Bogart films this year. Four major Bogart films are being restored from the original camera negative for release in 2006.
--see maltese falcon 2 discer.

* Looney Tunes will be one release per year due to labor intensive issues.
--thank goodness I couldn't handle more

* Popeye cartoon issues are still being worked out.
--at least they're not dead in the water
* No further update on the Tom and Jerry edited cartoon issues.
--sad

Adam

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S

Agreed. I'd love Ace Ventura, Funny Farm, the Jerk, Grumpy Old Men etc in OAR, but I won't buy the MAR dvds. I know Ace Ventura 2 was scope but I'm not sure about 1, so I don't want to pick up either of those films until I catch them in widescreen (apparently in fifteen years or so on TCM ;) )

I'd think the Ace Ventura release, at the very least would make good marketing sense. a two disc special edition price point, film one on the first disc, film two on the second, regular thin 2 disc keepcase. The films in OAR with a smattering of decent extras. Then sell it hard to all the current college kids that were 10 when these films came out and thought they were the funniest things in the world.

Sort of like the Happy Gilmore/Billy Madison rerelease.
Adam

Armin Jager

Stunt Coordinator

These are some ordinary B-pictures, right? Who needs 48 (!!!) of them? :frowning:

There wasn't accidentally somebody who asked about more Hedy Lamarr films??? :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: The only MGM film released by WB is ZIEGFELD GIRL in the box of this dreary little Garland girl which is offensive enough.

Glad to see THE SUNDOWNERS and THE NUN'S STORY come out, they are Zinnemann's masterpieces and among the most essential movies.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Speaking of Flynn. I sure would like to see a restored version of the 1938 film The Dawn Patrol. I think this film was a very good film depicting WW1 aerial warfare and the toll it took on the men who fought. The story still stands up to any modern war film. In a lot of ways the story was more realistic than a lot of 60s-70s era war films. For example, I think TDP is way superior to Battle of the Bulge.

It would be interesting to see this paired up with the original 1930 version starring Fairbanks. I haven't seen the 1930 version, but I read that the two movies share the same aerial sequences. I hate IRC chats because of the slow response time and constant joining/quitting messages, but I sure would have liked to ask whether there are any plans to release the two Dawn Patrol pictures onto DVD.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

They've also used it on Singin' in the Rain, Meet Me in St. Louis, Easter Parade, The Band Wagon and the upcoming The Wizard of Oz.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael

Well who exactly decides which films are "prestigious" anyway? Is every film made before 1970 automatically a "classic"?

It seems to me that Warner has a bit of the snobbery bug biting them. I got a bit bored during the chat because it was either about so-called "classic" movies or TV shows.

Believe it or not Warner, quite a few of us grew up in the 80s and have quite a fondness for flicks like "Spies Like Us", etc. Throws us uneducated slobs a bone every now and again eh?

Frankly I simply do not like so-called "classic" films, they're often boring, self-censored, wooden or incredibly outdated (which is kind of a funny thing to say actually.) HOWEVER I recognize that there are those who love them and they certainly should see their favorite movies represented well on DVD but geez, not at the expense of everything else. The comment about only liking bad 80s comedies says a lot (even if it was in jest. Would they have ever said the same thing about classics? "Wow, you guys only want those cheesy melodramas from the 50s?")

Anyway, tonight was the first time I was shut out of asking a question in a chat (which was a bummer to be sure.) It also marked the first time I participated (well, not quite "participated") using a computer (previously I used WebTV via IRC.) I opted to use the chat page through the HTF web site and not IRC, does anyone else? If so, have you been able to get a question in? I'm just wondering if there's a major difference between the two.

Jing_B

Stunt Coordinator
In the realms of the wonderful technology knows as DVD, Warner Brothers beats them all, by 1000 miles. Definetly #1. They truly are :star: the savior of classic motion pictures :star:.
Fox is second in the restoration of classics. The "Laura" DVD is ASTOUNDING!!!
As for the Bogart Boxset, which movies are expected to be released aside from the Maltese Falcon SE (which just won't come soon enough!!!)?

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory

The current Bogart Box has:
Bogart Collection, The
- Big Sleep, The (1946)
- Casablanca - Two-Disc Special Edition (1942)
- Maltese Falcon, The (1941)
- To Have and Have Not (1944)
- Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The - Two-Disc Special Edition (1948)
Treasure is in a Warner Classic Set itself and I think a goood number of people have Casablanca and may be irked by a triple dip. I half expect Big Sleep and To Have and Have Not get the Special Edition treatment and 1 new to DVD title. Then again Key Largo,Dark Passage and High Sierra's already released versions may be in it or Special Editions of those. I was a little upset about that last boxset.

AmitS

Grip

Amen to that. I just imagine the WHV guys being bored out of their minds with a chat like the one just aired. I mean, if they're not, that's cool. But there's got to be a better way to get our fix of when/will/won't-X-be-released AND hear enlightening discussions from the folks behind the scenes.

And yes, I realize that what's being suggested is in fact one of the great uses of a forum like HTF and one purpose behind discussion-threads, but chats specifically give the big guns a chance to address us, the inquiring and curious masses, in a way that promises a response as opposed to questions sometimes disappearing into the ether of a random thread.

Anyway, I am definitely glad to hear about some of the titles, but I only needed about 30 seconds to scan for and read the info. How much time/frustration did the chat eat up?

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just popping in to say thanks to everyone to organised the chat, and to Warners for participating. Lots to look forward to!

I just don't know what to say to the moaners; damned if you do, damned if you don't...

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
I missed the entire chat (at work here in Melbourne) but just the info presented here is mouthwatering. I deeply appreciate the work Warner is putting into their current releases and feel they're pretty much unmatched at the moment. Happy too to read that they've swept up THE DEVILS and PERFORMANCE for some sort of special treatment - I read in Video Watchdog years back that Donald Cammell's widow China Kong has an uncut print of the latter, apparently. Cool news too about the Val Lewton box (which I doubt will be 9 discs as one earlier poster commented - some of those movies are barely over an hour each).

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
I'm delighted to hear about the future Thin Man and Pre-Code set, among others. Also happy that more Hammer films are on the way. Perhaps I'll finally get a DVD of a guilty pleasure of mine, Dracula AD 1972. Also nice that the RKO Tarzan films are on the radar, even if there's no date.

I didn't know that there were difficulties with Quo Vadis in terms of its needing restoration. I hope they eventually find a way to release it.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I'm so glad you asked, because their answer made my night! Too bad you didn't throw in the ABBOTT & COSTELLO and LAUREL & HARDY films with your question, though!

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I do :D
Actually, I'm very glad that we're getting some "non-A" stuff from Warner for a change, instead of them sitting on titles like that forever.

And since I couldn't ask my own question, here it is right here in case Warner ever reads this feedback thread (which I'm sure they will):

"Hello, WB. -- Thanks for the outstanding work you've been doing. Now, on to my question. How about releasing some of the older horror classics with Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi and Peter Lorre that you own, perhaps in a box set for Halloween: MARK OF THE VAMPIRE, THE WALKING DEAD, THE MASK OF FU MANCHU, MAD LOVE, THE BEAST WITH FIVE FINGERS, etc...? Thank you. - DONE -" ;)

DaveK

Second Unit
Did they say when The Thin Man box set wil be released???

Was there any mention of upcoming films that will get the Ultra-Resolution treatment?

Was there any mention of Lucille Ball's films?

DouglasBr

Stunt Coordinator
My unasked questions:

"Thanks HTF & WB! Is there any chance of turning one-disc Bogart titles into more substantial 2-disc presentations, a la Casablanca and The Treasure of the Sierra Madre? I am thinking specifically of TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT, KEY LARGO, THE MALTESE FALCON, and THE BIG SLEEP. Also, I'm a sucker for Charles Dickens; any chance LITTLE DORRIT with Alec Guinness and A TALE OF TWO CITIES with Ronald Colman will be released to DVD? Thanks again! END"

So I guess my Bogart question is basically answered, and I can indeed wait for expanded releases of most if not all of the above titles in 2006. But another year without being able to ask about Little Dorrit. . . . Damn.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks