What's new

Official KINO Insider Announcements Thread: STRICTLY MODERATED: READ GUIDELINES (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Coming Soon! First Time on DVD and Blu-ray!

Don't Give Up the Ship (1959)
Starring Jerry Lewis, Dina Merrill, Diana Spencer, Mickey Shaughnessy, Robert Middleton, Gale Gordon, Mabel Albertson and Claude Akins
Directed by Norman Taurog
View attachment 33510
Keep those unreleased Paramounts coming!!

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Now I am wondering who is going to release all those great 70s films we have been asking for: Foul Play, Up In Smoke, Ordinary People, Heaven Can Wait, Ragtime, Play it again Sam, Looking for Mr. Goodbar, Children of a Lesser God, Day of the Locust, etc.

Sigh.

Looking for Mr. Goodbar has never been released on DVD due to some legal issues. Also, some of these others on your list are 80s films.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
True, I did throw some 80s titles in there -- but you get the picture of what we have been hoping for.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Ron, I think everyone is really scratching their heads over how Paramount has handled their more prestigious classics. We got a handful from the Warner deal (Shane, Serpico, Marathon Man, etc.) then.... nothing. And there's still the occasional Criterion (Ace in the Hole, Rosemary's Baby, etc.), but that's few and far between.

I think it's wonderful that Paramount is willing to license out these new-to-disc / previously Legend/Lionsgate licensed titles to Olive and now Kino, and I'm greatly looking forward to the 3D films and the few silent films. I don't want that to be lost among our comments - keep them coming! But what gives with the titles connected to a seemingly dormant WB licensing agreement and the titles they released on DVD that they didn't license to Warner? Are we seriously in the 10th year of Blu-ray without a release for Roman Holiday?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ron, I think everyone is really scratching their heads over how Paramount has handled their more prestigious classics. We got a handful from the Warner deal (Shane, Serpico, Marathon Man, etc.) then.... nothing. And there's still the occasional Criterion (Ace in the Hole, Rosemary's Baby, etc.), but that's few and far between.

I think it's wonderful that Paramount is willing to license out these new-to-disc / previously Legend/Lionsgate licensed titles to Olive and now Kino, and I'm greatly looking forward to the 3D films and the few silent films. I don't want that to be lost among our comments - keep them coming! But what gives with the titles connected to a seemingly dormant WB licensing agreement and the titles they released on DVD that they didn't license to Warner? Are we seriously in the 10th year of Blu-ray without a release for Roman Holiday?

And trust me when I say I have tried. Contacted the President of the Home Division. Basically got a generic response that they are considering their options.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Now I am wondering who is going to release all those great 70s films we have been asking for: Foul Play, Up In Smoke, Ordinary People, Heaven Can Wait, Ragtime, Play it again Sam, Looking for Mr. Goodbar, Children of a Lesser God, Day of the Locust, etc.

Sigh.
Maybe Paramount will start an MOD operation and release them on BD-R's! ;)

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
As an Allied-Artists film, wouldn't The Maze be with WB? Or did this somehow change hands and end up with Paramount?

I don't really know what the rights parameters (if any) are, or how The Maze fits into things --other than the fact that many (all?) Allied Artists films were independent productions that were distributed by the company-- but there are several Allied Artists films that went to Paramount (via Republic) a long time ago:

Invasion of the Body Snatchers ('56)
Shack Out on 101
Riot in Cell Block 11
Finger Man
Jennifer
Cry Vengeance
World for Ransom
etc.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I don't really know what the rights parameters (if any) are, or how The Maze fits into things --other than the fact that many (all?) Allied Artists films were independent productions that were distributed by the company-- but there are several Allied Artists films that went to Paramount (via Republic) a long time ago:

Shack Out on 101
Riot in Cell Block 11
Finger Man
Jennifer
Cry Vengeance
World for Ransom
etc.
Ok, gotcha. The Republic connection makes sense. Thanks!

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
Mr. Lime, as far as Paramount silents, some great ones are:

THE WEDDING MARCH with Erich Von Stroheim
HAND'S UP with Raymond Griffith
WOMAN OF THE WORLD with Pola Negri
BEGGARS OF LIFE with Louise Brooks
HULA with Clara Bow
FEEL MY PULSE with Bebe Daniels and William Powell
BEAU GESTE with Ronald Colman

...and about two dozen others! The above films though are excellent titles, sought after by collectors. Some are already out there in bootlegs, but to have them in Blu-ray off of prime film elements would be great. Between Paramount and the various archives, all exist in 35mm.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin

Shack Out on 101
Riot in Cell Block 11
Finger Man
Jennifer
Cry Vengeance
World for Ransom
etc.

Some of those have been released on Blu-ray by Olive Films.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Coming Soon! First Time on DVD and Blu-ray!

Don't Give Up the Ship (1959)
Starring Jerry Lewis, Dina Merrill, Diana Spencer, Mickey Shaughnessy, Robert Middleton, Gale Gordon, Mabel Albertson and Claude Akins
Directed by Norman Taurog
View attachment 33510

Great release one of the rarest and hardest to see of all Jerry Lewis films and a very funny film too. Sold.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Mr. Lime, as far as Paramount silents, some great ones are:

THE WEDDING MARCH with Erich Von Stroheim
HAND'S UP with Raymond Griffith
WOMAN OF THE WORLD with Pola Negri
BEGGARS OF LIFE with Louise Brooks
HULA with Clara Bow
FEEL MY PULSE with Bebe Daniels and William Powell
BEAU GESTE with Ronald Colman

...and about two dozen others! The above films though are excellent titles, sought after by collectors. Some are already out there in bootlegs, but to have them in Blu-ray off of prime film elements would be great. Between Paramount and the various archives, all exist in 35mm.

One of these is with us. And I'm pretty sure The Wedding March is with another label (not olive).

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Just curious regarding Paramount titles that have never been released on DVD or blu ray. Does Secret of the Incas fit into this at all? I would love to see this one on blu ray.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
We have one Roy Rogers//William Witney western. A non-PD one which has only been previously released on VHS by Republic.

My guess is THE GOLDEN STALLION, a favorite of Quentin Tarantino, that was shown at the Turner Classic Movie Film Festival a couple years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks