What's new

*** Official KILL BILL VOLUME 1 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

BarryS

Second Unit
Great movie! I posted a review in the Review thread, so no need to reiterate here. I did not realize that you can walk through an airport carrying a samurai sword and carry it on a plane without anyone bothering you. I'll be damned...:D

Did anyone notice the advertisement for Red Apple cigarettes in the background of one scene? I think it was in the airport maybe. That's a little Tarantino in-joke.

Kill Bill makes me want to go watch a bunch of kung-fu movies so that I will get all the references. Loved it and can't wait to see it again!

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone notice the advertisement for Red Apple cigarettes in the background of one scene? I think it was in the airport maybe.
I did. If I recall correctly, it's on a big billboard as Uma walks from right-to-left in the airport.

Seeing it again tonight (with a bunch of friends who were jealous that I saw it early...although now I'm jealous of THEM for getting to see it for the first time). :D

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
Wow. Just wow.

This is probably one of the best movies I've seen this year and ever. Everything about this film is just amazing.

1. The Soundtrack. My only quarrel is that Battle Without Honor was totally underused and somewhat wasted.
2. Uma Thurman: She has simply never looked better in a movie. Absolutely beautiful and hardcore in every scene.
3. The opening shot. I nearly jumped out of my seat when that bullet hit.
4. Just everything about Chapter 5.

The fight scene between The Bride and Vernita was a bit spoiled for me and Alias fans who got their dose of domestic disturbance last season finale with Sydney and Francie.

Did anyone else besides me get a reference to Pulp Fiction. Okay, when The Bride is talking to Vernita with coffee she goes on about what she should do to her to get even. She then says "That would be square" and she makes the little move she did in Pulp Fiction!! I nearly wet myself.

I cannot wait to see this for a second time. Just knowing what's coming just makes it all the more fun. So I have concluded the first half of my birthday-movie-fest. Tommorrow: Lost in Translation

I have to say though that I was mildly (just MILDLY) let down. I was expecting more Tarantino and less kung-fu. I have never been a fan of the genre. But this film has changed everything

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
She then says "That would be square" and she makes the little move she did in Pulp Fiction!! I nearly wet myself.
I caught that as well. I was hoping to see the little picture box show up as she did it. :D

Anyone else remember the Flintstones episode that inspired that "square" gag in the first place? ;)

-Another little tiny scene I loved in the movie: the plane flying over the miniature city. Just looked cool. (This bit is in the trailer.)

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
Besides Red Apples and "square," the fetishness of QT shooting Uma's feet reminded me of the foot massage conversation in Pulp. I was also reminded of Uma's pilot, where numerous women are the world's most lethal group, including herself that was an expert on knives.

One of the funniest moments of the movie was when the whole "you get the sake" argument.

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
Yes, the Bride's "Death List Five" also sounded very reminiscent of another certain group mentioned in Pulp Fiction. :)

Kirk, I also loved the Sake exchange, "I am not bald, I just shaved my head". :)

I had to view the movie a second time. I read the original script which is floating around the internet and I missed some of the stuff mentioned there (two truck drivers Buck brings in, all of Bill's elixiers, the helmet revealing the Bride's face when she is talking to Sofie Fatale, the missing Go Go sister). So after the second viewing I was able to look past all this minor changes, and really able to enjoy the movie.

Loved it.

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
Reading that post about the Japanese cut confirms it, definitely a way to avoid the MPAA's iron fist.

BrandonL

Stunt Coordinator
Did anyone notice any color spots in the black and white fight scene? It was an orangeish color that just popped up really fast in the theater I saw it at.

GregBoehme

Agent

Probably the anti-piracy 'dots'..

Agreed it was a fun film.. the over the top gore could have been toned down just a hair.. the 'gyser' effect took me out of the movie too many times.
I wonder was there anything else Sofie 'lost' during the 'interrogation', I was waiting for the camera to pull back from the close up of her at the end.

Greg

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
the only negative with the soundtrack album is the track nobody does it like me[i think that's what it's called]isn't on it

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
I would like to see spoiler protection maintained within the film's discussion thread. I (and I assume others) are treading into here to see if this is a must see in the theater or if waiting for a DVD transfer is going to cut it.

Otoh... we could set up a second thread just for that purpose but then we get into the same old duplicate thread problem.

Anyone have any thoughts either way on that?

Krystian C

Stunt Coordinator
The way I see it, the Review thread is for those unsure if they want to see it in the theater. And the discussion thread is for those who have seen it and want to talk about it.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
QT does it again...the master at not only resuscitating careers but also refreshing stale onscreen personas & presence takes two characters I felt bleh about and impresses me to no end.

Uma Thurman...loved her in Pulp Fiction, but thought that QT displayed too much loyalty in vaulting her to the starring role in his comeback effort. Expired buy-before date.

Lucy Lui...never liked her, never thought I would ever like her. With the exception of a fun turn on Sex & the City, I always thought of her as a studio/communist ordained dalai lama of asian american actors.

I walked out at the end of Kill Bill, in awe of both performances, especially Uma's. She is neither stale or predictable - she shines and stuns. She is even particularly playful and cute in the sake tete-a-tete with the samurai sword maker.

Cinema is so enjoyable when the performance suprisingly emerge from nowhere, even from well-established actors.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Sorry, if you want spoiler protection then read the Official Review Thread if you want to determine whether this film is worth seeing because we will not require people who have seen it, the burden of using spoilers in their film discussion with each other. If you haven't seen "Kill Bill" then you read this film at your own risk!

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
By the way, thanks Scott for the heads up about the soundtrack which I've been playing most of the day. Secondly, I will be seeing my second viewing of this film tonight at midnight. I hope, I'm with a fun loving audience this time which will enhance my viewing pleasure even moreso.

Crawdaddy

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
I wonder was there anything else Sofie 'lost' during the 'interrogation', I was waiting for the camera to pull back from the close up of her at the end.
I don't think so. When she was rolling down the hill, she seemed to be all there... minus the arm of course. The whole time I was just dreading Bill was going to snap her neck or kill her as shockingly as The Bride got shot in the beginning. Great ending.

Stephen_L

Supporting Actor
About a month ago I was in Jackson, Wyoming and visited a shop full of beautiful taxidermy. A full sized stuffed bison, big as life was out front. It looked remarkable, the eyes bright and lifelike. It was clearly the work of a very skilled artisan. But you know, live bison still look better.

That summarizes my feelings about "Kill Bill". It was gorgeous, overflowing with style, attitude, and spectacular visuals. But it had no heart. In the end it left me cold. I didn't care one moment for any of the characters and what's more, its clear that QT really doesn't want me to care. It is the very distillation of style and flash, with essentially no story or meaningful characters. I understand its purpose and really enjoyed many individual scenes (especially the sword fight in the courtyard and the silhouetted fight in the darkened club), but I guess I'd like to see QT's considerable skills linked to a more meaningful story with some reasonably developed characters (as he's done in the past with "Pulp Fiction" and "Jackie Brown")

Raymond_H

Stunt Coordinator
I know me and my wife cared about The Bride after she woke up from her coma, realized its been 4 years and that she has lost her baby.

Raymond

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks