What's new

*** Official "K-PAX" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
Quote: Since this is a discussion thread...spoilers abound. No use in using the spoiler tags.
Forgive me gentlemen. I am still new to this site. I will no longer look at a Discussion thread or Review thread until I have seen the movie. :)

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator
Well... Here's some thoughts:
A)Human eyes aren't capable of seeing Ultraviolet light...so that was kind of weird, ASSUMING that A Kpaxian could modify the human body though, that would substantiate Prot really having been an alien
B)There is no such thing as hypnosis. It's a farce.
C)Prot was communicating with the dog which would lead me to believe that he was an alien
D)Prot had a complex knowledge of Quantum Physics and Astrophysics. That isn't a savant like quality. You would need to know VERY VERY specific algorhythms and logrhythyms to calculate orbits of planets. There is NO way that Robert Porter could have known these, even if he had attempted to self teach himself.
THUS:
I believe that Prot possesed Robert Porters body when Robert Porter was in a moment of crisis. I don't care what the book said about multiple personalities. I don't care if he had 35 personalities, you can't have inheirant knowledge, well you CAN, but it wouldn't be part of a personality, that would make Prot God/Jesus of which there was an OBVIOUS undertone.

David Ren

Stunt Coordinator
B)There is no such thing as hypnosis. It's a farce.
Yea, I was disappointed by the cliched hypnosis gimmick as well. Hypnosis doesn't exist but movies keep reinforcing the myth. That was why I didn't like Curse of the Jade Scorpion either.
Dave

Chauncey

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chauncey
I thought the fact that he knew the orbital positions of the planetary system the scientists had just discovered was very strong evidence that an alien was inhabiting Porter's body. IMHO, this isn't something that a smart person would just know without seeing empirical evidence of the planetary system's existence.
A couple of people stated that hypnosis is a myth. Could you point me to other resources that discuss this?
Thanks,
------------------
Chauncey
Home Theater Equipment List
My DVD Collection

Gregg Hart

Stunt Coordinator
"B)There is no such thing as hypnosis. It's a farce."
So you're saying that all the doctors who have spent there lives doing such therapy are all frauds as well?
My uncle is a doctor who has used hypnosis for 25 years. I can be sure that he's not delusional to think nothing is really happened. Your statement is an opinion and nothing more. Unless you can point me to scientific eveidence that states this as fact.
------------------
Link Removed

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator
Actually this isnt my opinion, it's accepted scientific fact, that while under hypnosis, the brain appears exactly the same under a cat scan and MRI. There are more than a few $1,000,000 rewards for anyone that can prove hypnosis is true. Do a search for "Skeptic +hypnosis" on yahoo and you'll get your fill. Hey I used to think Hypnosis was real too. When I was 12. Then I went to college.
Allow me to show you some reading you and your uncle should check out.
http://skepdic.com/hypnosis.html
With cited sources
[Edited last by Matty B on November 12, 2001 at 04:12 PM]

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Edit: Nevermind. I value my membership here.
[Edited last by Joel Mack on November 12, 2001 at 07:29 PM]

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Can anyone explain how Prot appears at Gran Central Station from a beam of light?

If he was inhabiting Robert Porters body how did Robert Porter appear in NYC? These two facts tend to go against each other.

Generally I try not to think about movies too hard because they fall apart pretty easy but this seemed better than most

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Just got round to seeing this movie last night (it's only just opened in the UK).

I think the movie says something interesting - namely, that whoever or whatever Prot was, differences cannot just be pigeonholed with a label, and anyone, no matter how dysfunctional, has a right to be seen on their own terms. That is the whole point of those early scenes where the other psychiatrists are content to classify Prot with whatever the most convenient category in the DSM-IV is and leave him to rot.

Incidentally, at the risk of taking the movie too seriously, I doubt if Prot would have been placed on a secure ward - certainly in the UK, he would have been given greater freedom (e.g. some kind of sheltered housing) under most psychiatric regimes.

BTW, I must take exception to the 'scientific proof' that hypnosis is phoney. It arises from a common misconception amongst (with respect) lay people. Just because there is no discernible change in neurological function during hypnosis proves nothing. The fact is that under certain very specific circumstances, hypnosis, in the hands of responsible professionals [it is *not* a party game to play at home], works. Why it works is open to debate - maybe there is a genuine hynotic state, maybe people use it as an excuse to drop a pretence. But if it works, why worry about the causes?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks