What's new

*** Official "JAY & SILENT BOB STRIKE BACK!" Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread. Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning! If you need to discuss those type of issues, I have designated an Official Discussion Thread which can be found at this link .
Again, without warning, I will delete all posts that are not a HTF member review!
Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Dugger
[Edited last by Chris Dugger on August 19, 2001 at 04:59 PM]

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
out of
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif

Kevin Smith does it again, he's made another over the top hilarious film (as of now, he's five for five, but then again, I'm a big View Askew fan :)). The film was better than I expected, and if you're looking for a film with a plot, then you've come to the wrong movie. The film uses the same form as Mallrats used, slim plot and jokes throughout. This is one of the best time I've had at the movies since Almost Famous back in September of 2000. The whole crowd I was with loved the film and was laughing and cheering almost every 30 seconds. If you're a View Askew fan or enjoyed most of Kevin Smith's films, this is a must see opening weekend.
And to end this post....
Spoiler:"Okay, how bout if he (Silent Bob) sucked my (Jay) dick and you watch and jerk off?"
"Okay, that'll do."
(Silent Bob and the Security Guard kneel down.)
"Okay, now after this is all over, you (Silent Bob) say, 'What a lovely tea party.'"
"Like who'd want to see a film with Jay and Silent Bob in it?"
(Holden, Jay, and Silent Bob all stare at the camera.)
biggrin.gif

------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed - DVD Reviewer
Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."
[Edited last by Matthew Chmiel on August 19, 2001 at 05:03 PM]

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Just to be upfront, I've enjoyed all of Kevin Smith's films because his strength is in dialogue, and characterizations. Smith's forte is definitely not being a cinematic director/writer, where the camera becomes a character in the film, rather, he relies more on character interactions to carry a film with a pretty light-hearted plot which focuses more on characterization than actual plot-driven elements.
I thought this was a fitting send-off for the Jay and Silent Bob characters. It was filled with cameos from many of the ViewAskew Universe (Kevin Smith's film universe), and the jokes are pretty funny, with Jay going ballistically raunchy in his diatribes and assessment of any situation.
If you've never seen any of Kevin Smith's films, be prepared to know that the characters toss around cuss words as if they are drawing breath autonomically. If you don't like to be assaulted with such language, stay away from this film, you will not have a good time. If you can't handle frank sexual (homo/hetero) speech/euphenisms/etc, don't go see this film. It will offend you.
But if you can hang with the language and the zany situations that Jay and Silent Bob get themselves into on their trek to Hollywood, you'll be in for a treat. You'll find some flat out funny stuff, and some scenes that don't play so well (some editing could have relieved the audience of some of the not so funny payoff scenes).
The self-deprecating humor that the myriad of cameos from the actors that have worked on previous films shines through all the nuttiness of the film. Plus the 2 actors that play Jay and Silent Bob in the fictional film within a film did a bang-up job poking fun at themselves as well.
I rate it a B+ or 3.5 stars.
------------------
PatCave ; HT Pix ; Gear ; DIY Mains ; DIY CC ; Sunosub I + II + III ; DVDs ; Link Removed
[Edited last by Patrick Sun on August 24, 2001 at 09:56 PM]

LawrenceK

Stunt Coordinator
Just got back from seeing it, and I must say that after being let down time and time again this summer, finally one movie paid off. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back is one of the funniest movies I have seen, and it just seems like one giant love letter from Smith to his fans. For those who have said that you have to be a fan or to have seen the other movies to enjoy this film, I have to disagree. I took 3 friends to see this movie with me, all whom had never seen a View Askew flick before, and they all loved it. To really "get" some of the better jokes, you should definitely see Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy, Dogma and
to understand one of the best jokes in the flick, definitely see Good Will Hunting. I highly recommend this movie.
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I just got back from seeing Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back and give it
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif

...excellent picture and a great sendoff for Jay and Silent Bob.
also... Spoiler:Was I the only one who laughed at the "Greedo shoots first" line? hehehe... I was in a theater filled with about 300 people and I was the only one who got it :)
------------------
Robert Lutter

My DVD Collection
Link Removed Software Reviewer (Coming Soon!)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I just got back from seeing this movie as well, and thought it was absolutely hillarious! Definatly in my top ten list.
I will say too, that you must see all the New Jersey films, in order to get all the jokes. and even see the crappy movies, all the actors make fun of or mention(not really imp. tho)
All the jokes and parodies were great. Definatly not a disappointment!
MY RATING=A-
------------------

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I'm not a hardcore fan of the "Jersey films", but I still enjoyed J&SBSB. Quite a hilarious sendoff for the two morons! :) Of the cast, I found Mark Hamill and Chris Rock (am I really saying this?) to be the standouts. Rock was so good here, I had a hard time not taking his character seriously! Ben Affleck/Matt Damon were damn funny, too. And I was surprised to see Judd Nelson - hell, I didn't even recognize him! There were a few flat spots in the flick, but nothing really worth carping about. Spoiler:Too bad Silent Bob didn't end up with one of those babes...unless you count the orangutan! Overall, I'll rate it
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
out of
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif

If you like Kevin Smith's work, this is a must-see!
------------------
sgon.jpg

"Death's at the bottom of everything, Martins - leave death to the professionals!"
"Mind if I use that line in my next Western?"

Travis D

Second Unit
I saw this today and I must say it was great. I saw it with 4 friends and they loved it. I loved it. And the people in the theater loved it so much so that EVERYONE stayed until after the credits for something special. (See the movie) It's the perfect end to the Askewniverse in my opinion. There were maybe 2 flats spots in the movie, but that's all. The last half of the movie though is non-stop hilarity. (And please, applaud when you see Mark Hamil, everyone in the theater I went to did.)
Now for the spoilers: Best Bits
Spoiler:"Doobie Snacks" had me rolling on the floor, Venderbeek and Biggs as Jay and Silent Bob was perfect, and "Applesauce Bitch!" was well... oh god it was funny.
However Matt Damon and Ben Affleck's little movie past chat stole the show. That look into the camera about having to do the "payback movie for a friend" had people scream-laughing.
My Rating:
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
half.gif
out of
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif

[Edited last by Travis D on August 26, 2001 at 01:28 AM]

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
I just got back from a late showing of this absolutely fucking (what would a Kevin Smith movie review be without the not-so-ocassional vulgarity?) hilarious movie! As a huge View Askew afficionado, I was extremely excited about this final farewell to its respective universe. But I was also semi-afraid that Smith would not be able to deliver the goods.
Holy shit was I wrong! The inside jokes were awesome, and all the self-deprecating humor throughout worked very well. The banter between the pairs of actors (Damon & Affleck; Biggs & Van Der Beek) about their past work was definitely the highlight for me.
My biggest disappointment with my J&SB experience had nothing to do with the film itself, but with the uptight, dead audience who I had the misfortune to watch the movie with. Granted, the movie started at 11pm, but only the three guys behind me and my friend were really enjoying it. The crowd did laugh...a lot, but the parts I found funniest were the inside jokes and all the clever banter, both of which the crowd just passed on. Oh well I guess.
While far from a perfect movie, J&SB was one of the funnest experiences I've had this year at the movies (along with Rush Hour 2). As long as you don't go in expecting Schindler's List, have a working knowledge of the View Askew universe, and aren't offended with profanity by the truckload, you'll love it.
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
half.gif
out of
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif

------------------
www.DigitalHoard.com
Petition: get Family Guy released on DVD!

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I found this film to be Smith's funniest yet, and consider it his best as well. While Amy showed the drama, and Dogma was a film I really loved too for taking on some issues while being funny as well, this film is freakin AIRPLANE funny, Stripes funny, Caddyshack funny.
I have no problems with vulgar language, nor with sexual discussion. I think fart jokes can get a bit old, even in this picture, but other than that it's loaded with both funny situations, TONS of great references to things both Askew and not, self-depricating humor, and more.
It's so loaded with jokes that you often can't catch them all.
Things like Judd Nelson being in the film (Dogma reference "Judd Nelson was harsh"), Snowball, Steve Dave, Fuck You Yankee Blue Jeans (check out Jay's T-shirt at one point).
Great cameos throughout...heck, even a love interest for Jay.
The crowds missed MANY of the jokes...like the Greedo shoots first joke...but there was still plenty of stuff for them to laugh at.
If you are an Askew-head, I'd say chances are 99% that you are going to drop dead from laughing. And even the less Askew-aware will get plenty of laughs from it. However, do yourself a favor and watch the other films first, it will really heighten your enjoyment of the film.
4 outta 4 for me. #3 on the year as well (behind Moulin and Memento). Sure it's not high-art, but it's finely crafted comedy and that's a tricky thing to pull-off as well. I was ready to go right back in the theater and see it again.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Couldn't agree with you more...second best of the year behind Memento for me. I couldn't stop laughing!

Timothy Alexander

Second Unit
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
out of
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
Let me begin with telling you how awesome the showing of this movie was. It was on a huge screen, with sound cranked up to the max (with awesome THX trailer to go with it)and the auditorium almost full. The best part about all the people who were there was that they were all Kevin Smith fans themselves. You know that they were fans when the entire place goes beserk when Dante and Randall first appear together and they all laugh and sigh at the little inside refrences. Hell, someone actually clapped when they heard the Chasing Amy theme play when Jay and Bob go see Holden. It was a great atmosphere and everybody had a good time. And yes, everybody including me applauded when the "Hey Kids, It's Mark Hamill....APPLAUSE!!!" sign came up. (BTW, ever think you'd hear Luke say "Don't Fuck with a Jedi."?)
wink.gif

On to the movie itself...FANTASTIC!!!!! I loved almost every second of this movie, from the beginning all the way to Morris Day. This is probably my favorite of all of Kevin Smith's movies (but being a KS fanboy myself, they are all equal in my eyes). It was just too damn light hearted and fun not to love. And I don't know about you guys but Jay and Silent Bob are the most lovable drug dealers I've ever known.
This is a great sendoff to one of the greatest trilogies in movie history, and I for one will miss Jay and Silent Bob...and Dante...and Randall...and Holden...and Banky...and Alyssa...and Hoop...and Brodie...and the list goes on and on...
Kevin, you have outdone yourself once again. Bravo, my good man. Can't wait for the 2-disc special edition with an hour worth of deleted scenes...(c'mon you guys just gotta know there's gonna be one
wink.gif
).
[Edited last by Timothy Alexander on August 26, 2001 at 03:11 PM]

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
Holy Shit. One of the funniest movies I have ever seen. There were only 3 people there(sunday at 11:30 am) and we were the only ones laughing. Great flick. I am going to go see it again when it comes down to my local cinema that shows 2nd run movies or whatever they are called. Good job Kevin
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
out of
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
. Snoogins
------------------
"Come on, you fuckers think that just cause a guy reads comics he can't start some shit, I'll fucking take all you on!"
Beavis and Butthead on DVD
Family Guy on DVD
[Edited last by Brett Hancock on August 26, 2001 at 05:49 PM]

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Although this film does not enter my top ten of the year, I found "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" a pleasurable riot of a film. Now, you're looking at a guy that HATED the trailers for the film, with the online teasers being full of "Look at me! I'm swearing!" gags, and the trailers seeming like a two minute summary of the narrative.
But the film began, and all of those worries washed away. Scene after scene I was laughing loudly and consistently
at references, slow-mo montages and Jay and Bob themselves, who once again prove they are lovable doofuses. And at 105 minutes, the film does not overstay its welcome nor ends too quickly. It's the perfect length.
Rank wise, I don't know. This would probably go behind Chasing Amy and Clerks and ahead of Dogma and Mallrats.
The funniest film of 2001 so far? You bet! This is a comedy classic :)
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
half.gif

Regards,
Jason
"Bounce Boy"
------------------
Link Removed Link Removed Link Removed Link Removed
[email protected] ICQ: 16733922 I Am Jack's DVD List
"Look, I'm Mrs. Hitler!" Rat Race
Film Critic, Link Removed

Mitty

Supporting Actor
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
(out or 4)
A piffle of a film, with a lot of laughs and even more knowing smiles. I can't say I roared with laughter often, but I did, as I said, smile a lot.
I know I'll watch it several times more when it hits DVD, since every frame seems to be full of little gags if you can catch them. I know I missed a ton of stuff.
To rank it, it's his 4th best film (I hesitate to say 2nd worst, since my view is positive), behind Dogma, but ahead of Mallrats.
Kevin Smith seemed to almost be reminiscing as he made this movie, not wanting to leave anything unsaid, as he is now going to (purportedly) move on. It's less a story than a celebration of what put him on the map and and a thank you to those who ate up the "universe" he created.
Despite everything, this is not a mean spirited film. Even as our heroes are exacting their "revenge" on the web nerds, it is light in spirit and tone.
I can easily recommend this film, to pretty much anyone. To Askew fans, of course, it's a no-brainer.

paul_v

Second Unit
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif

This was the most funniest movies I have ever seen. I almost passed out during The dooby snacks scene I was laughing so hard. Oh man I can not wait to see it again.
------------------

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Kevin Smith somehow just keeps writing good films. There were a lot of little things stuck throughout this film that nobody would understand unless they were a fan of his (like Snowball walking in the background, the "I assure you, we're open" sign, etc.) and it overall was hilarious. Watching Jay go on one of his little swearing streaks is hilarious, and I love the nickname he made for Shannon Elizabeth.
The scene with Matt Damon and Ben Affleck where they were talking about their movies was funny as hell. The fact that all of the actors in this film agreed to do the things they did just makes this movie better.
Carrie Fisher was a great nun.
Overall, it was well casted and filled with little jokes everywhere that you can only pick up on if you know what to look for. I can't wait to see Kevin Smith do a commentary for this movie on the DVD.

AaronJB

Second Unit
The Movie:
During the commentary track for "Chasing Amy", director Kevin Smith bemoans the fact that, no matter how hard he tries to improve his craft, fans always come up to him and tell him the scenes with Jay and Silent Bob are their favorites. Although things were a little shaky with the protesting over Smith's "Dogma" (which simply stopped the moment the film was released) and the unfortunate failure of the director's cartoon show based upon his first film, "Clerks", it was time to, well, "strike back". According to Smith, it was time to wrap up the "View Askewniverse" that he's built his features thus far upon.
So, we're introduced to how Jay and "hetero life-mate" Silent Bob first met. The familiar setting of the Quick Stop in New Jersey opens the picture, where we see two babies being wheeled up next to one another, while both parents leave them alone outside to watch over one another. And, as we'd expect, a torrent of profanity exits the young Jay's mouth - and then we're shuttled off to present day. The two are quickly booted from their place outside the front of the shop when the two clerks (Jeff Anderson and Brian O'Halloran from "Clerks") become exhausted with trying to get the two drug dealers off their property and simply call the cops. Afterwards, the two find that the comic book based upon their lives ("Bluntman and Chronic") is being turned into a motion picture by Miramax (the studio that produced "Chasing Amy" & "Clerks", then backed out of their plans to release "Dogma").
The duo are then introduced to the internet, where they find that net-surfers are bashing "Jay and Silent Bob" based not upon themselves, but the characters that the movie presents. They don't understand that and set out with one thing in mind: to stop the picture from being made. This leads to one of the oldest of all comedic genres: the road trip. The two run into a group of international jewel thieves (Eliza Dushku, Ali Larter, Shannon Elizabeth and Smith's wife, Jennifer Schwalbach), one of which, Justice (Elizabeth), Jay falls for. The clueless duo get themselves in hot water though, and while they make their way to Hollywood, they eventually become aware they're being followed.
Although Smith is gifted at writing sex and fart jokes, the film is at its best when it seeks out obvious Hollywood targets (Jay sees Ben Affleck in a particular scene and shouts, in one of the film's funniest lines, "Phantoms was the bomb!", refering to Affleck's much-laughed at late 90's sci-fi outing. Affleck, who seems like a good sport on Smith's commentary tracks, also takes a few slaps for "Reindeer Games" and "Forces Of Nature". Affleck's "hetero life-mate" Matt Damon also gets a few jokes thrown his way regarding "Talented Mr. Ripley" and "Legend Of Bagger Vance". Another wonderfully funny (and completely true) discussion revolves around when Miramax changed from classy art pictures - "After 'She's All That', everything went to hell".
There's little plot here, which I certainly expected. I wasn't exactly sure whether or not Jay and Silent Bob would hold up for an entire feature-length picture, but they manage to entertain, as well. Although I found much of the humor quite entertaining in "Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back", there were a few things that didn't work particularly well for me. Will Ferrell overstays his welcome as a clueless federal park ranger, for example.
Yet, Smith has made some improvements as a filmmaker. His visual style (which Affleck hilariously rips on him due to his lack of in the commentary tracks for previous films) has improved noticably here over any of his previous films. Here, that's likely due to cinematographer Jaime Anderson ("Grosse Pointe Blank") who really helps the picture quite a bit. Smith actually goes for something resembling good sound here, for the first time. Sound designer Tom Myers ("The Mexican", Smith's "Dogma", "Pitch Black") definitely doesn't turn the film into "Armageddon", but the film's sound use was more entertaining than any of Smith's previous outings.
"Jay and Silent Bob" is consistently funny, but occasionally extremely hilarious. It's not completely consistent during its 95 minutes, but View Askew fans will likely, as I did, find a lot of hilarity and even some witty moments amidst the fart jokes. Those who frown upon such "potty-mouth" (a phrase joked about the commentary for Smith's "Mallrats") humor will likely be better off seeking something else at the multiplex.

Users who are viewing this thread