What's new

Iron Man (2008) (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

The blockbuster mentality that has infected Hollywood for decades now is really getting sickening. I do not see why these two films have to be direct competitors. I mean do movie audiences only have enough money to see one film a month or something? I went to both films mentioned in the article and both films succeed in their primary function which is to entertain.

Iron man is a good entertaining film with a major weakness that internally made me laugh. Speed Racer is a good entertaining film with some dialogue and a ridiculous name convention -inspector detector- that outwardly had me laughing.

All things being equal there is one area where Speed Racer outshines Iron man and that is in sheer visual creativity. The action scenes in IM are staidly conservative and boringly constructed compared to the kinetic, imaginative action scenes in SR. In that respect SR completely destroys IM.

That being said, however, I do not see why one film has to be the "winner" and the other the "loser". Surely, there is enough entertainment dollars available to support both productions. The whole mentality of "the only day that matters is opening day" just seems to result in a lot of good films not getting their due.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Just read about a deleted scene that will be included in the dvd. It shows Stark wearing the Mark 1.5 suit...

:D

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Going to the movies isn't all that cheap, what with driving, parking, concessions, etc. And it isn't just about being on a money budget. It's also about time. You pick and choose what you'll see on a given weekend.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Money is the #2 reason why I don't see movies in the theater much at all anymore (#1 being rude audiences and poorly run theaters). It just cost too much to take the family to a movie, much more then just buying or renting the BD/DVD. I only go to about one movie or less a month, most movies Hollywood lets out the gate just don't look worth the money, time and effort to go to the theater (especially when you know it will be on video in a few months).

Frankly, IMO, the previews for Speed Racer look horrible to me so, it was a very easy decision to go to Iron Man instead.

Diallo B

Screenwriter

I agree that the Speed Racer trailers were terrible. But they were not representative of the movie.

I am one of the folks that goes to see everything. But I don't have a family to support and often I will make solo trips to movies like this because many of my friends do not share the interest in these types of movies that I do. I even have a paid membership to the theater which i frequent most.

But someone said it earlier. These movies shouldn't have to compete.

Now I would have loved to see if Batman and Iron Man had been released in the same weekend.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
If word of mouth was good on Speed Racer, it would get a bump and perhaps have some legs for the summer. The opposite is true.

From what I've read and heard, the visuals are great but it's all over the place in terms of plot. Add to that a 120+ running time and what you have is a nightmare for the intended audience: a long, draggy in the middle, nearly incomprehensible film for the PG crowd. That's not exactly smart from a marketing standpoint. Plus, just to keep it real, Speed Racer is at most a cult show for an older crowd. What 8-10 year old is interested (besides the ones with 30- to 40-something parents who liked the show as a youngster)?

The bottom line is, if it was a good film, the audience would show up regardless. I haven't seen it it yet but I'm not exactly killing myself to see it. I've seen Iron Man twice.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Brett, there can't be word of mouth, because not a lot of folks saw it. The reviewers savaged it. If you look in the Speed Racer thread, you'll see a different story :) It's definitely getting good word of mouth online. The kids in the theater I saw it with (both times) loved it. Never restless.

I don't agree the audience shows up for a good film, regardless. Any one of us can name dozens of good films the audience didn't give a fig for. And plenty of bad ones they did.

But this is an Iron Man thread. And Iron Man is a good movie, getting a good audience. I hope it translates into a good sequel and more support for RDJ in other areas. He's a treasure.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Finally saw Iron Man and loved it. Easily the best comic book/superhero movie I've seen since Batman Begins and probably in my all-time Top 5 for that genre of films. Great acting, fantastic effects and a good story. Not quite as much action as I expected, but still enough to keep the pace moving along. I never looked at the clock on my cell phone once which is a sign that I'm thoroughly involved in a movie. Can't wait for the Blu-Ray of this one, it should be awesome. :emoji_thumbsup:

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

Enjoyed seeing Stan also but I thought he was greeted as "Hef" (who he looked like with several young things) but in the credits was listed as "Himself".

What did I miss?

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Good not great film. Over-praised is my best way of summing it up. Downey was the perfect casting choice. Movie was light on action.

The missing link was the emotional underpinnings that a half decent score would have provided. This film had one of the poorest of any movie in recent memory.

Diallo B

Screenwriter

[personal preference] i really think that movie scores are over utilized in creating 'emotional underpinnings' [/personal preference]

there are many movies where i appreciate a non-traditional method of movie making. that includes the lack of an overbearing score during every scene.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I certainly didn't miss an "in your face" score. The acting and events taking place on screen were more than enough to keep me entertained. Never missed the music for a second.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
Of course, Iron Man had plenty of music.

One could imagine fans of the music saying that it was so well integrated in the movie that people paid very little attention to it, but I would say people don't mention it because it did not stand out to begin with. The use of electric guitars seemed like an attempt to give the music a unique identity, but I personally don't think it succeeded. "It was fine/serviceable in the movie," as we often say these days about interchangeable film scores, but that in itself is not a compliment.

Here is an interview with the composer:
iFMagazine.com: E-Notes: RAMIN DJAWADI BRINGS ON THE HEAVY METAL FOR 'IRON MAN'

Michael:M

Supporting Actor
I'm glad Iron Man's score wasn't intrusive, but it was extremely bland and did little for the film. I think a well written and mixed score can add tremendous impact to a film.

To compare another comic film, the score for Batman Begins during the scene where young Bruce is at the police station is beautiful, haunting, and right on. Does a wonderful job evoking the sadness and isolation Bruce is feeling.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

Me too. I like the Spider-Man films, but they get a little too "sappy" for me at times. This actually felt like an adult superhero flick and I haven't thought that about anything since Batman Begins. :emoji_thumbsup:

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I appreciate a great film score as much as anyone, but never once did I say to myself "I wish the music was better" while watching the film.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Well, a memorable theme would have been the icing on the cake, but I enjoyed Iron Man a lot with or without a great score. I'm kind of glad Danny Elfman wasn't given the job, I love his Batman and Spiderman themes but it's refreshing to have a few Superhero movies without the trademark 'Elfman sound'.

I missed the end coda I'll have to catch it on dvd. I know all about it thanks to this thread. :)

Dark Knight will have to be really good to beat Iron Man but I'm not happy with Ledgers Joker from what I see in the trailers. I hope he's not the only villain. On the other hand I really enjoyed Jeff Bridges baddie in Iron Man, no over the top histrionics, fantastic actor and almost unrecognisable in this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks